Mt Rushmore during Sturgis Rally

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2020, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out our rescheduled trip to Mt Rushmore with 10 yr old grandson Aug 4-12 fall during part of Sturgis Rally Aug 7-16.

We are flying into Denver on the 4th and driving. Should we attempt to spend Aug 4-6 seeing Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park and head back to Colorado for the rest of our trip or will the area already be too crowded? We haven’t made hotel reservations yet but see openings in Custer and Keystone. Our grandson is really looking forward to Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park. Other alternative is to stay in Colorado the entire time or go somewhere else entirely?

Trying to figure this out quickly so we can make plans accordingly. Thanks for your input, especially if you live in the area.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 10:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure what it is exactly you're asking, or how it relates to Sturgis. The one time I was in Sturgis to visit cousins there I was unaware it was the rally weekend. Sturgis was packed, of course, traffic at a standstill, Rapid City crowded as well with overnight accommodations scarce. But I don't recall Mt. Rushmore being crowded. However, I don't think anyone can predict what this year will be like. But if there are vacancies for accommodations in the area, that's certainly a good sign for you.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

I have read that you do not want to be there during the Sturgis Rally week due to the large crowds. I’m asking if it would be too crowded a few days before the start of the rally to visit Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park or is it an event where bikers will arrive a week early?
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 11:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can get accommodations within a reasonable distance then I'd go, leave the area before Sturgis is in full swing. As mentioned, I think availability of places to stay is always telling. Who knows how it'll be, no one really, but my motto is to always remain flexible, especially when there really is just no predicting. Have a Plan B. I know how you feel about not wanting to disappoint your grandson so I'd give it a try.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 12:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
for your dates pre rally i would avoid Keystone entirely. it is a nothing town and will probably be very crowded. if you can get a place to stay in Custer than i would say go for it. the state park is a great wildlife viewing spot especially early in the day. be aware that as of my recent visit (July 2) there is a good amount of construction going on at Mt Rushmore that had some trails closed, the amphitheater, and the Avenue of the Flags also closed. this funneled lots of people into a small area at the main entrance. also visitor centers had reduced hours. but rangers were their for questions and such. again it's a go as early as you are comfortable situation. though you might find early evening somewhat quieter and they are still doing the lighting of the monument at night.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 03:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We have been several times and have not been to Mt Rushmore during the rally as the line getting in was so long. My husband isn't going this year but the last several years he and his friend go the week before to get riding in and then leave before the rally really gets started. I was not a fan.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. We have decided to go for it and stay flexible. Have booked the first three nights at Custer State Park and checking availability for staying at Badlands Natl. Park for a night or two. We can then head back towards Denver for a few nights.

Disappointing that some things are closed at Mt. Rushmore, but not surprising. We had also planned to go to Deadwood, Spearfish, Fort Meade Calvary Museum and Devil’s Tower but may be too crowded. We’ll see what we can and enjoy our time together.