In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
- 1 Need a bit of help planning a 3 week trip to the US
- 2 NYC
- 3 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 4 Road Trip - Las Vegas, NV to Monterey, CA
- 5 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 6 NYC to FLA Road Trip..stopovers (I-81) in Virginia and Sea Islands?
- 7 Middlebury vt quickie
- 8 Customs & Checked Baggage at O'Hare - coming from Dublin Airport
- 9 Where to stay Charleston SC
- 10 10 days after cruise - Fort Lauderdale Fly out from LA?????
- 11 Kwaussies road trip, the final chapter!
- 12 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!
- 13 Cheap Hotel in NY
- 14 hello guys....
- 15 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 16 Hawaii- Can't decide which islands to include
- 17 Chicago: Clark & Lake Street Subway Stop
- 18 Albuquerque to Denver
- 19 Central Coast of Maine in August
- 20 Itinerary Ideas for 2nd Trip to NYC ... without kids this time
- 21 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone
- 22 New York-Texas Road Trip
- 23 DC Itinerary, June 8-13, suggestions welcome!
- 24 Nashville Hot Fried Chicken
- 25 Help with July 4th Marriott Houston trip