My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Road Trip Deep South in October/November
- 1 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 2 Best place for rafting: Moab, Taos or Durango?
- 3 First-Time Hawaii Advice
- 4 I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water |
- 5 How to plan San Diego trip
- 6 IMPORTANT! Hawaii Ocean Safety Tips!
- 7 Washington Wineries
- 8 Airport luggage tamparing
- 9 California, Northern
- 10 GROCERY STORES MAUI, HAWAII
- 11 San Francisco,Monterey, Yosemite etc.!
- 12 Visitor ocean awareness Kauai/statewide
- 13 Maui. . .where to stay for local feel
- 14 Best museums and botanical gardens in the Hawaiian Islands?
- 15 Maui Rain Forest Hike vs Haleakala Crater Hike vs Downhill Bike Ride
- 16 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)
- 17 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 18 Hudson Valley to Stockbridge, MA/Berkshires
- 19 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 20 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 21 Using public transit in San Diego
- 22 10 day anniversary trip to Oregon Coast
- 23 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 24 Back to the Lovely City!!
- 25 East coast tour - Part1: NYC