I’m travelling from the UK early March with two friends for 24 days in America. The original idea was to go and visit NY and LV, but the idea of an all American road trip really interested us all. Yes flying between places is cheaper but it’s not the same as travelling through and seeing the real America, not letting it fly by. The exploration aspect of our trip took over and we’ve ended up with a mammoth roadtrip. I’m quite happy to receive criticism on the plan as I’d rather be aware of any potentials problems now, but please consider this has been planned at length with the help of people who have done this before.
You can see the plan here: http://the-scruff.co.uk/america.png
As you can see we land in New York where we spend a couple of days sightseeing and partying, maybe go see some Ice Hockey Then its onto Niagara falls, then Chicago, then follow route 66 to LA (with a couple of detours like LV). We have an RV for most of the journey apart from last leg from LV to LA, we’ll rent a Mustang or something without a roof.
My concerns/questions are:
How do we stay on Route 66? We’re going to get a map and a satnav with correct waypoints, but would love some more advice on that
Planning overnight stops for RV how necessary is this? We know it’s a BIG problem in Chicago
Point of interest along route? I don’t want to bore you with everything we’ve found, but any suggestions welcome
Great bars along route? In particular it’s my friend’s birthday in Chicago and St Patricks day around about Amarillo Way
Medical cover and travel insurance recommendations
The Best Road Trip
- 1 D.C. in a day
- 2 Using public transit in San Diego
- 3 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 4 San Francisco - one semi-splurge restaurant?
- 5 NYC Newbie Needs Advice Re JFK Transportation
- 6 Boston Area College Tour
- 7 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 8 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 9 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 10 Hiking/Camping Suggestions for VT, NH, & ME in August?
- 11 A Visit to Charleston
- 12 Hotel Suite Brands with Multiple Bedrooms?
- 13 Boston three day trip report, with photos
- 14 Amtrak to DC, then sightseeing
- 15 Help with NYC transit
- 16 Just saw the Book of Mormon in Chicago ! Can we talk about it
- 17 Help finalizing August itinerary for Utah NPs (with a child)
- 18 1st time in Boston --need advice
- 19 Best places to stop New Orleans to Los Angeles
- 20 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 21 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California
- 22 What to see/do from north Texas area to SD (Mt. Rushmore area)
- 23 Boston, my 2 hour food shopping spree to satiate my man's needs
- 24 Williamsburg VA
- 25 Driving from Greensboro, NC, to Tampa