I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
- 1 Seatlle, WA
- 2 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 3 State cracking down on vacation rentals?
- 4 San Francisco,Monterey, Yosemite etc.!
- 5 Staying at the Andaz in West Hollywood with kids.
- 6 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 7 DC Itinerary, June 8-13, suggestions welcome!
- 8 California, Northern
- 9 Best place for rafting: Moab, Taos or Durango?
- 10 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)
- 11 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 12 Question about Northeast Wisconsin along the lake
- 13 Boston, my 2 hour food shopping spree to satiate my man's needs
- 14 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone
- 15 Restaurant Recommendations in Salt Lake City Area
- 16 Newport, RI Questions
- 17 Around North America (cruise)
- 18 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 19 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California
- 20 Oregon Cave NM or extra day in Redwoods area?
- 21 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 22 Ackislander or others- restaurants in Nantucket in 2013
- 23 Santa Fe Home Exchange - Three Wks, from start to finish
- 24 Boston and surrounding area
- 25 Rafting Snake River early June?