I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
- 1 IMPORTANT! Hawaii Ocean Safety Tips!
- 2 Washington Wineries
- 3 Airport luggage tamparing
- 4 I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water |
- 5 California, Northern
- 6 GROCERY STORES MAUI, HAWAII
- 7 San Francisco,Monterey, Yosemite etc.!
- 8 Visitor ocean awareness Kauai/statewide
- 9 Maui. . .where to stay for local feel
- 10 Best museums and botanical gardens in the Hawaiian Islands?
- 11 First-Time Hawaii Advice
- 12 Maui Rain Forest Hike vs Haleakala Crater Hike vs Downhill Bike Ride
- 13 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)
- 14 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 15 Hudson Valley to Stockbridge, MA/Berkshires
- 16 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 17 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 18 Using public transit in San Diego
- 19 10 day anniversary trip to Oregon Coast
- 20 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 21 Back to the Lovely City!!
- 22 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 23 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 24 Exciting historical sites in upstate NY
- 25 Charleston, Savannah and more cheesy grits please