we are planning a holiday with our two teens in NOV 2014 ( so a long way away yet!) but i really want to get it right this time!
Having done this before, i now know what we need as individuals and a family when we travel O/S so the key question for me at this very early starting point is:
What areas should we avoid, if any when booking either a two -bed condo or a two interconnecting rooms with maybe a kitchenette? I was told by a friend that the area near the canal is not as desirable..something about nightclubs and safety at night?
Im gathering from the map i have here that would be the Ala Wai Boulevard?
My friend is looking to stay down near the zoo this time- the outrigger west apartments which are on the corner of Kalakaua ave and Kapahulu ave...above starbucks and chilis restaurant.,,apparently a ten minute stroll to the hustle and bustle of the Outrigger Waikiki where her family stayed last time.
I would like to be able to go shopping with my daughter- ie walk to the main places of action without relying on taxis or buses necessarily and not wanting to ask OH to get the rental car out to drop us off anywhere either
It wont matter during the day much ..we will be driving out for day trips no doubt together..it is just the evenings that concern me when typically OH has had enough and just wants to chill or nap whilst we girls go looking for shopping adventures unencumbered and unrushed!
Any opinions really appreciated. We want to be safe and if the general consensus is that waikiki is well-lit..well populated and just has the usual dangers of any busy centre then we will further explore the area of Paul St where i have been researching the Monarch 401 condo...seems very nice and quite reasonable at the moment..two bathrooms area a definite bonus and OH likes the idea of some space..it has got some views too which add to the appeal
what are the different locales like in waikiki - does it matter THAT much where you stay?
- 1 Yosemite Falls Lodge in the park or Cedar Lodge w/ budget constraints
- 2 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 3 Using public transit in San Diego
- 4 Memorial day weekend drivable getaway from Jersey City, NJ
- 5 WHERE TO STAY FOR PROPOSAL WEEKEND IN FREDRICKSBURG
- 6 Albuquerque to Denver
- 7 San Francisco - one semi-splurge restaurant?
- 8 Help with NYC transit
- 9 How far ahead to book Alcatraz?
- 10 NYC Newbie Needs Advice Re JFK Transportation
- 11 Boston Area College Tour
- 12 San Fran, Napa, Palo Alto, Carmel advice
- 13 Boston three day trip report, with photos
- 14 Hiking/Camping Suggestions for VT, NH, & ME in August?
- 15 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 16 Boston, my 2 hour food shopping spree to satiate my man's needs
- 17 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 18 D.C. in a day
- 19 Door County
- 20 10 Days in Maine
- 21 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 22 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 23 A Visit to Charleston
- 24 Hotel Suite Brands with Multiple Bedrooms?
- 25 Amtrak to DC, then sightseeing