DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011
- 1 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 2 Curved Sofa
- 3 Stay between San Francisco and Redwoods?
- 4 Using public transit in San Diego
- 5 1st time in Boston --need advice
- 6 New Orleans trip (plus road trip) Help Pls!
- 7 Memphis Tours
- 8 D.C. in a day
- 9 Ideas for Northern California trip?
- 10 What to do with extra day in Virginia?
- 11 A Visit to Charleston
- 12 Cedar Point Wait Times
- 13 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 14 San Francisco - one semi-splurge restaurant?
- 15 How far ahead to book Alcatraz?
- 16 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 17 San Fran, Napa, Palo Alto, Carmel advice
- 18 San Francisco Anniversary Trip
- 19 NYC Newbie Needs Advice Re JFK Transportation
- 20 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!
- 21 Florida to Yellowstone to Mt. Rushmore-Sept 2013
- 22 Luggage stolen from locked rental car in Orlando
- 23 3 Week Roadtrip Starting in Nashville - Where to Go?!
- 24 Best Marriott Hotels in Hawai?
- 25 San FRancisco Apt Location - Comments, pls