Reload this Page >

Charleston--swanky accommodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Ann

Thinking about going to Charleston for our anniversary, and wanted to get some opinions on a few B&Bs/inns I found on the web.

Wentworth Mansion? Looks gorgeous. Are the suites worth $415 a night?

Two Meeting Street? No rates on the web site. How does it compare to Wentworth? Both the actual place and the location.

King's Courtyard Inn? Fulton Lane? Rutledge House?

How do these stack up against each other? Any additional places I should consider? Are any of these non-swanky?

Basically, we want somewhere romantic where we can spoil ourselves, and somewhere big enough where the hosts don't bother you. Last time we stayed at a B&B, the hosts got mad at us because we didn't come down for breakfast one morning.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Lauren

I haved lived in Charleston for a few years. In my opinion, Two Meeting Street is probably the best B&B overall. It is located right on the Battery within walking distance of everything in town. Wentworth Mansion is also very nice, a little removed from all the foot traffic that the Battery sees. The last three you mentioned are also nice, but just don't compare to Two Meeting Street or Wentworth.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Sal

We visited Charleston for the first time a couple of months ago. Two Meeting Street seems to be the hands-down favorite B&B in town. Out of curiosity, we stopped in to see a couple of the latter you mentioned and I agree with Lauren's assessment.

We stayed at Vendue Place. It's in the heart of everything. It's very upscale, IF you get the right room. You must be very specific about your criteria when you book. Be forewarned, Charleston is a very lively town at night and most of the better B&Bs are in the thick of the nightlife. If you want peace and quiet, you won't find it unless you stay in a larger hotel.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Arabella

Agree with Lauren and Sal -- Two Meeting Street is your best choice.

Happy Anniversary!

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Ann

Thanks for the help. Looks like it's Two Meeting Street.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Anne

The Barksdale House Inn is beautiful, quiet, and in walking distance to the Battery and other sites. I highly recommend it.
When I researched B&Bs in Charleston, this one was on the less expensive side-- I'm not sure why. It is first rate!

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Char

I stayed at the Wentworth in August. It was great. The whirlpool tub is great after a day of walking around. (And big enough for two since you mentioned romantic) It is truly gorgeous-but is pricey. The location is not bad, but does not compare to the Two Meeting Street Inn on the Battery-if that is what you are looking for. As for privacy at the Wentworth-no problem. No one will bother you at all. The Restaurant on the grounds is fabulous.
I don't think you would be disapointed with the Wentworth Mansion.