Search

Oahu Dining

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:14 PM
Scaphoid

Oahu Dining

-Has anyone been to Alan Wong's or Chef Marvo. Are they any good, worth it? Reservations? Dress?

-Winward food Ideas

-North Shore food ideas

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:43 AM
Linda

Re: windward and north shores - can't speak of "fine" dining, but can highly recommend Giovanni's shrimp truck in Kahuku - he serves an awesome shrimp and rice plate (we had to drive over there twice more for one, it was so good). Take it to Kualoa Park - a beautiful beach park w/stirring views of the mountains and Chinaman's Hat - for a delightful meal in wonderful surroundings. In Haleiwa, Jameson's has a great porch setting, but we felt the one meal we had there wasn't terribly good - maybe we just ordered wrong. Also, there's a famous hamburger/ sandwich shop (Ku-aina? someone help me out) with great hamburgers. Again, get your food to go and visit Haleiwa's Beach Park for another great "atmospheric" dining experience. And a shave ice for desert from Matsomoto's - a must while on Oahu.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:12 AM
sss

I have not been to either but I did work as a chef on Oahu for 2 1/2 years. I have been to other high-end restaurants in those islands also. I can tell this the Hawaiian Islands in the mid 90's were reported on for cuisine in bono petite and gourmet magazine more than any other place. I did see New York mentioned a lot but I was surprised at how frequently chefs from the Hawaiian islands were mentioned. I think there is greater market for dining this being a vacation spot and the competition is fierce.

I have consistently found that the food in places like Roy's and Wong's is similar to Roy's is top notch but not top priced…. definitely worth the visit. You think this is expensive? …come to NYC and try to find a comparable restaurant you will be paying $75-$100 per person here.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:14 AM
sss

We stayed on Lanikai last year and found our food options slim. Definately get some pointers here. I suggest buying the zagats to the islands. Also don't forget it is just a 20 minute jaunt over the Pali to Honolulu were restaurants are abundant.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:39 AM
mike

We ate at Alan Wong's last October. Excellent food, great service. My wife says it is the best meal she's ever had. I say it was in the top 5 (I'm not that bold).
You are not going for the atmsophere here. It is on the 2nd floor of an office building. However, atmosphere is good. Ask to be seated out by the windows (more quiet). Dress was more casual than we expected. People were dressed across the board.

Dining at Alan's is a must.

p.s. We have dined at some of the best in Hawaii, San Fran. NYC, Boston, Phila, etc...

Enjoy!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:56 AM
ai

Alan Wong's was the best dining experience on Oahu when we visited last May. We plan to go again during our wedding/honeymoon in about three weeks.
The staff is young but incredibly knowledgable of the cuisine. Mt family is in the Asian Fusion restaurant business (w/my dad being exec chef), so I am quite knowledgable about the style at Alan Wong's. Definitely a must - but be warned that the exterior is absolutely decieving - it's an old stuccoed office building with no numbers or signage to let you know taht it's a restaurant) - but step out from the elevator and it's another world. Very nice!!!

Heard great things about mavro too, but spent my money at Wong's, Hoku's (Mandarin Oriental) and MaiTai's. Good Luck!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:56 AM
ai

Alan Wong's was the best dining experience on Oahu when we visited last May. We plan to go again during our wedding/honeymoon in about three weeks.
The staff is young but incredibly knowledgable of the cuisine. Mt family is in the Asian Fusion restaurant business (w/my dad being exec chef), so I am quite knowledgable about the style at Alan Wong's. Definitely a must - but be warned that the exterior is absolutely decieving - it's an old stuccoed office building with no numbers or signage to let you know taht it's a restaurant) - but step out from the elevator and it's another world. Very nice!!!

Heard great things about mavro too, but spent my money at Wong's, Hoku's (Mandarin Oriental) and MaiTai's. Good Luck! Casual dress oK - aloha attire ok - yes to reservations...

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:51 PM
XXX

What do you guys think about Chef Marvo

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:38 PM
lcuy

We went in one night having heard the food was very creative. the restarunt is tiny and dark, but in an elegant sort of way. The menu was very small and they seem to be really big on matching wines with each course. I don't know if we just had a bad night, but we ending up leaving after a drink. The service was so slow and the menu/prices didn't seem worth waiting for. I like Alan Wongs, but don't love it the way I like 3660 on the Rise, Palaminos or Sam Choys. All are young, hip (noisy) Pacific Fusion places, but the others are so much prettier. A lot of Alan Wong's dishes seem to be dressed up too much...he combines two perfectly good foods, then puts on too many garnishes or swirls. I find it distracting, if you can call a dish that. all of these places call for nice slacks and aloha shirt (business colors, please) for men and casual/nice for women. Yes to reservations, although you can usually walk in on weeknights.
sorry, can't think of any windward or North Shore places. We tend to not drive that much into the country....

Old May 25th, 2003, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to add that I am always on the hunt for good mexican food here. We had an excellent meal at Cisco's Cantina in Kailua today. Much better than fancy mexican places in Honolulu.
Old May 25th, 2003, 03:50 PM
mdv

I've been to both and enjoyed both.
Excellent food, lots of local business people the nights I went. The only complaint I had at Alan Wong's was the AC was too cold. No complaints at Marvo's.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 09:14 PM

Just wanted to mention that Aaron's on Ala Moana and Seratinos (spelling?) at the top of the I are having early bird specials. $24 for three course meals.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM

There is no question that Alan Wong or Mavro are excellent chefs and that their creations are worth the money.

The key question is, can you afford it?
Mavro is more expensive, but you are paying for the leisurely, intimate experience with a significant price for the wine pairing.

Roy's in Hawaii Kai has really improved, but many people dislike the noise in the restaurant.

Sometimes overlooked is 3660 On the Rise. I think that chef Russell Siu takes a simpler approach to his cooking than does Alan Wong, but it is no less flavorful and garners its own share of awards and recognition.

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Jameson's by the Sea in Haleiwa is nice. Get there early for a table on the porch at sunset.
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 07:30 PM

Just wanted to add that Alan Wong opened a bakery in Kahala.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Whatever you do, don't miss breakfast at "Eggsnthings" at 1911-B Kalakakua Avenue (main drag in Waikiki). Get there early or wait in line. They have great omelets and the best pancakes you ever tasted. I even bought some pancake mix to bring home. You'll love it!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:41 PM

One place that gets overlooked a bit is Michel's, in the Colony Surf Hotel. It's an upscale restaurant and the food is always good. The service is incredible. We got a table close to the beach so the view was wonderful!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:11 PM
MileKing

Eggs n Things is way over-rated...and over-priced. Had breakfast there one morning while in Oahu back in October. Somewhat crowded, food and service was OK, but much better bargains and food elsewhere.

John Dominis Restaurant for dinner is superb. Would highly recommend a window table for about 1/2 hr before sunset. Wonderful view of Waikiki and Diamond Head in the distance.

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:06 AM

Just spoke to ADAM Wong at Great Harvest Bread in Kahala. No relation to Alan Wong, but appreciates the comparison and thanks islandmom for the compliment.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 10:33 AM

alan wong was fantastic. mavro was even better and the wine pairings were well worth it. la mer was fine but too expensive and rather stuffy: the only dress code we encountered. these places rival the finest dining experiences on the mainland at prices a shade under those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -