North Austin hotel needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:45 PM
hpl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Austin hotel needed

Greetings,

I'll be in Austin (on the north end of town) for a meeting and need a hotel. Any thoughts between the Four Points Sheraton or the Doubletree? They seem to be in the same area on IH-35.

Thanks
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:12 PM

Hi, I live in Austin and if theres a chance you can stay off hwy 35 its better. That's the highest traffic interstate in the south, and its terribly noisy through there. Don't know the hotels you mentioned, and there is lots of highway construction there. I would check out location of meeting and see what you can find on Expedia mapping feature. Beth
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:42 AM
gordiemonster

I live in Austin as well and agree that I-35 is misery--it's a split level freeway downtown and the lower deck is quite dangerous. You have about 50ft to merge as 18-wheelers roar past you.

Check out the "Arboretum" area around Loop 1 and 183. There's a bunch of nice places that have close/easy access to I-35. My dad always stays in the Homewood Suites. There's many more: Embassy Suites, Amerisuites to name a few. The Renaissance is smack in the middle of the arboretum if you are looking for something a little more upscale.

Check out www.austin360.com for food, entertainment and other info on austin.

Hope that helps.

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 06:10 AM
hpl
Original Poster

How about the Hilton in that area? it looks like it's further from I-35.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:39 AM

That Hilton is right by the mall. If you are going for business, that may be fine with you. But it is definitely high traffic. Socio-economically the west is the wealthier part of town. The further East you travel the closer you come to economic depression. I-35 is a little further and is often considered the border between the two parts of town.

Although there are a lot of busniness hotels in the area, I know a lot of people who would not feel safe living in an apartment in that area. With that said, I shop at that mall a lot, and I travel around that area for business a lot during the daytime. I've never felt in the least bit threatened.