Swept off rocks drownings Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were two more drownings on the island of Kauai yesterday. A couple was swept off some rocks by an unexpected large wave. Their son was spared but he is now in child protective custody until a guardian can be appointed. It was a very tragic end for what was supposed to be a family vacation.

Maybe someone else here can direct you to a site that will show you the number of drownings in the islands in the last year. I have lost count and don't have that info. I'm not saying there are more drownings per capita here than other places because I don't know that.

But more often than not, the deaths that we have here are preventable. I wish that the airlines were required to give an ocean safety warning leaflet with the agricultural forms. The tourist industry would be wary of that I'm sure.

Don't be macho (or macha?) and swim in water you aren't familiar with. Don't get close to high surf, it can knock you down and drag you back out to sea along with it.

Hawaii is in the middle of the ocean, all by itself with no land mass around it. The ocean is wild here, especially in the winter. Be very cautious and respect it. It is not the same as an ocean you may have experienced elsewhere.

I don't mean to frighten people who are sensible about where they swim. There are lots of safe beaches here, especially on calm days. I just hope to enlighten a family or two enough to prevent another tragedy.

I'm really sorry about that family.

Kakalena
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:19 AM

I read somewhere one time that more people drown each year in Hawaii than in ALL the other states combined. The article said it's a combination of rough, dangerous water and lots and lots of people who are unfamiliar the ocean in general (and Hawaiian waters in particular). I know that during our 10-day vist there a few years back, there were 5 drownings.

Very sad.

Ken
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
gyppielou

A most important post. Thank you kakalena. It would be nice to make the tourist industry teach its clients to respect the power of the mighty pacific.

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
GoTravel

Very important post.

People also imbibe more on vacation than they do at home which makes for stupidity.

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:57 AM
DB

http://www.teok.com/Drownings/drownings.html

Kauai has one of the highest instances of drowning in the world. One Hawaiian translation for "Lumihai" is "death by drowning." The reason is partially due to the size and unpredictability of the surf, along with the roundish shape of the island lending itself to swift treacherous currents. For instance, if you get sucked out at Hanakapiai Beach and miss the opportunity to come in at Kalalau 9 miles away, your next chance to swim ashore could be Midway Island a further 1,000 miles "down the beach."

In late 1998 there were some 20+ foot waves closing out Hanalei Bay, an awesome spectacle for visitors and residents alike. Down the road at Haena Beach Park, a visitor decided it would be a cool idea to wade out into the surf, turn around, and have a friend snap his picture with a giant wave for a "distant" background. Some witnesses on the shore were recommending that the photographer save his film for the County Coroner in the event his friend got sucked out -- people are friendly that way in Kauai. A wave did break over the idiot, and after a fairly tense struggle, he came out of the water okay ...being quite lucky.

A healthy amount of respect for the ocean is extremely important, especially on the north shore during the winter. Should you hear the ambulance sirens tearing toward the end of the road in Kauai, it is a reminder that stories like the guy at Haena Beach Park do not always end happily. So, do your best to make your trip to Kauai a vacation that you actually live through.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:04 PM

Thank you so much for this post. I am in the midst of planning our January Kauai North Shore vacation. I will print this out for my fearless husband.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM

That happens a lot on Oahu on the area around blowhole too. Never turn your back to the ocean. People get washed off the rocks all the time. It made me sick to hear the story on the news. And can you imagine your child being alone with strangers!!???
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:23 PM

I always prefer to swim somewhere that has a nice protected reef (like Anini Beach on Kauai's north shore). Not only is it safer, but the snorkeling is usually better. That's the main reason that I prefer places like French Polynesia or the Cook Islands to Hawaii.

Of course I can't swim much at all and am pretty much a chicken in rough (or deep) water.

Still, every time I hear a story like the one above, I feel justified in my caution.
Ken
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM

How terrible for this family. The ocean is a powerful thing. Even though I can swim well, I'm very nervous about the water along the shores. Do people wear life preservors in Hawaii?

We know all to well here in Florida that it doesn't take strong currents, deep water or big waves to drown someone.

There are nearly 400 deaths in Florida each year and many of them are from swimming pools - where the water does not come up and catch you by surprise.

My heart goes out to the little boy.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:50 PM

I was very hesitant while walking along Queen's Bath in Kauai on one occasion because the tide was rising rather quickly and the waves seemed to be crashing closer and closer. I told my hubby that I was getting out of there!
Has anyone seen the sign as you walk into Hanakapiai Beach as to the names of the people that had drowned there?
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM

Yeah, it's pretty bad. One of the most frightening such tales I heard was about a family that had gone out to see a blowhole and were caught by surprise when an exceptionally large wave erupted from it - then dragged them back down through it as the water receded. One of the family members was in wearing a cast. I think he actually survived (thanks to some quick thinking bystanders). Still, it just goes to show that you never really know what the ocean will do.

Ken
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:56 PM

This thread stirs up some tragic memories of my nephew (then 2) while on a beach outing with his mom and others. She was in the tent taking care of her infant while her two year old went out into the water. They had lived on the Big Island for awhile, so they were very beach sauvy.

There were at least three other moms also. My newphew wandered out into the ocean and they thought he had drowned. A helipcoter airlifted him to Honolulu where he spent weeks in ICU. He fully recovered, thank the good Lord. It can happen so fast. I have extreme respect and caution for the ocean.

My daughter is an avid swimmer and loves to boogey-board in the ocean. We don't take our eyes off of her for even a second and I'm always nervous until they come back. Scary stuff... ***kim***
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM

I recently returned from Maui, my 7th trip to Hawaii, and for some reason, on this trip, I was really struck by the naivete of the tourist mentality. From the couple sitting next to me on the plane to overheard conversations and observed behavior all over the island, there seems to be a pervasive belief that Hawaii is not a real place, but rather a theme park like Disneyland.

The paradise presented in popular culture fosters this sense of fantasy. How could anything dangerous or threatening be allowed? Add to that image the impaired judgment that comes from starting on your first beer before lunch, and it's a deadly recipe.

The tourist industry certainly doesn't want to scare people away, so who will be responsible for educating the public?
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:48 PM

My son went too far in rough surf while vacationing in Florida and I went to his rescue. It is amazing how quickly those currents exhaust you. We probably both would have drown if it wasn't for the surfer who saw we needed help. Most people don't stand a chance trying to swim in rough ocean waters. It was one of the most frightening experiences of my life.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:34 PM

I lived in Hawaii for four years and tourist drownings and "swept off rocks" stories were a constant. I saw a man dragged to shore by a lifeguard -- he died there on the beach. This was on Oahu, near Waikiki Beach, he was learning to surf with his son and the ocean was too much for him. His son was fine but watched his father die (with the rest of us). Terrible.

My first week in Hawaii, I went down to the beach with my father, he explained how much more dangerous the ocean could be in Hawaii (we had done plenty of swimming on the west and east coasts of the mainland). As we talked, I was standing in ankle-deep (I kid you not) water; the slope of the beach into the ocean was quite pronounced, and when a wave hit shore and receded back into the ocean, I was literally knocked off my feet! My Dad grabbed me and held me upright -- it was a "whoa." moment. My Dad could not have timed that any better!

Anyway, I swam a lot during my time in Hawaii, but I didn't swim everywhere and I never ventured out onto rocks for a "photo op."
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:12 PM

This is so sad. A few years ago we were one of those people who wanted that "photo op" at Lumahai. The waves were crashing onto the lava rocks creating a waterfall on the beach side. We'll I thought this would be a great place for my daughter to kneel down for a picture. We got the picture but as soon as she got up and started to walk away a huge wave came crashing over the top. She wasn't in danger of being washed out to sea but she probably would have ended up with a severe neck injury.

We made a return trip back there last month and sure enough there was a couple that ventured up onto the lava rocks. We knew that if they stood up there long enough they were going to get hit. They did get it but lucky for them it wasn't a huge wave.

Since then I have felt guilty that we just stood there and watched. Should we have warned them? What would you have done?
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:16 PM
Kal

There's only one thing I want "on the rocks" when I'm in Kauai.

Sad story but, Marilyn, I hear ya! People just don't use their heads in Hawaii sometimes. Maybe they DO think it's a Garden of Eden and no harm will come to anyone?

Ken, We were on Kauai when they had to pull a guy out of the water at Anini because he got caught in a freak current. It was a good thing he was swimming with his son who waved down some help.

2 years ago, a Father and son weren't so lucky.
They were swimming off the relatively calm beach by the Radisson and both got out a bit too far and got caught in the current and took them both.

I'm a very strong swimmer (I learned to swim in the Ohio River, refined the art at San Diego beaches and Nor Cal quarries) and I always follow these 2 rules no matter where I go:
#1 rule, never swim alone.
#2 never turn your back on the ocean.

DB, one of my goals is to make it out to Midway (my Dad was there during WWII) but not that way.

Nancy03-I have a friend of mine who is ex-Navy and he uses the little self inflating diver's vests you can pick up at a dive shop when he goes snorkeling.
Good investment. Good judgment.

I get even more nervous when I see some tourist/hikers goofing around on the NaPali.
Especially where the path is only about 12" wide and about 1,000' down!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:52 PM

Imagine my surprise,when, after school today, I came to this board and read these messages...turned on the TV and the lead story was THIS ONE...because the couple is from my own town, in IL. I do not know them, personally, but it sure hits home. I have been frequenting this board before our trip to Maui this summer. I will be sure to heed your advise.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:08 PM

Carol47-Whereabouts in Illinois were they from? I am originally from Illinois.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:19 PM

Kal - yes, even reef protected areas can be dangerous - especially if you venture too near the reef outflow (and every lagoon has one). Generally though, you are far safer behind a reef than in open water. There is an outflow at Anini on the far left side (facing the water).

Ken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -