Search

Cheap Eats Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Eats Oahu

Hi Everyone,

It looks like for several years there was a thread "Cheap Eats Oahu". Several old posts mention it, but unfortunately it looks like it died and can't be resurrected, so I thought I would start a new one.

Please post your favorite places to eat that aren't necessarily "cheap", but rather inexpensive and have great food.

I'm looking forward to reading this thread in the upcoming days.

Thanks everyone.
Tina
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:16 AM

My husband loves kalua (sp?) pig from the luaus. There's a place at the Ala Moana Mall in the food court that sells it by the bowl-ful. Yummy!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 11:19 AM

I love "Cha Cha Cha" on Seaside Avenue in Waikiki.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Take a look at the following web site:
http://khnl.com/Global/category.asp?C=43174
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 12:51 PM
bonniebroad

My sister loved the breakfast buffet at the Outrigger Waikiki - Duke's. Said it was very reasonably priced....

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 09:22 PM

Chief's Hut at the Outrgiger Reef on the Beach. Lovely setting, by man-made pond, full dinner of decent food, good service, for about $10 per person last summer. You can watch the hula show/hear the music at the adjoining bar during dinner.
Also, The Shore Bird at same hotel. Cheap bkfast buffet-- or grill your own dinner. Open air setting (i.e. no windows) right on the beach. Coupons available in all the Outrigger bargain books at any Outrigger or Ohana Hotel (you don't have to be staying at one to use the coupon).

And...ANDY's Sandwich Shop in Manoa Valley!!!! Great local place. Great sandwich specials, delicious fresh bakery goods. Across the street from there, in the shopping center (callled Manoa Marketplace??)in back by te post office, is a cheap, plentiful, sushi place. IF you go there, also check out the art gallery. Manoa district is one of the best parts of being in Honolulu.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:37 AM

Kailua-
Teddy's Burger
Maui Tacos
Gee A Deli
Zia's
Big City Diner

Kaneohe-
Malasada truck at Windward Mall
Panda Express
Zia's
Cafe Sistina

Honolu-
Teddy's
Volcano Joes
Wolfgang Puck
Big City Diner
Auntie Pastos
Greek Corner....
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:45 AM

Hawaii Kai-
ChaChaCha's
Costco
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:49 AM

Wahiawa-
Molly's

Northshore-
Cholo's
Pizza Bob's

Pearl City-
Sams
Taco Shop
Down to Earth (also in Kailua and University)
CPK
Dixie Grill
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:51 AM

Kaimuki-

Jose's

Manoa Valley-

Tea Room
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:26 AM

For breakfast I absolutely love Eggs and Things on Kalakaua Ave. Open from 11PM to 2PM only (yes, that's correct.) Serves enormous portions: omelets, waffles, crepes, pancakes, french toast. Endless cups of Kona coffee. And freshly made tropical fruit syrups: Mango, coconut, guava. My friend still has dreams about the banana pancakes with coconut syrup! It's been around for about 30 years, and doesn't take reservations. And there's always a line, but it moves pretty quickly so go anyway. Prices are moderate to inexpensive, and they don't take credit cards, cash only. But the good is good and filling (so you won't be eating lunch that day.)
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Hi,
Repost from my trip report:

Irifune
Japanese, hole in the wall, small and cheap! We absolutely LOVED this restaurant! It has such a great local feel and the food is excellent and very affordable! Irifune probably can only sit about 40-50 people, which makes it a great cozy experience. The sashimi there was incredibly good and we thought comparable to Sansei and other higher end places. Basically, you can get entire dinner specials here for under $10, no problem.

Genkis
another small japanese restaurant, this one is almost like a fast food joint. You sit down in front of a rotating conveyer belt that passes little plates of sushi, sashimi, and other japanese treats right in front of you. You then simply pick the ones you want and eat them right there. At the end of the meal, the waitress adds up your color-coded plates! Not necessarily the best japanese food, but certainly good and cheap and a fun way to eat!

SHAVE ICE
Have to take a moment to say, if you are visiting Hawaii, you have to have SHAVE ICE!!! It is sooooooo GOOD! But, please, be sure that you are having authentic shave ice. Much of what is sold as shave ice, is really just a glorified snow cone. True shave ice, is really shaved extremely fine, almost like powdered sugar. Much much much different from just a snow cone of finely chopped ice with flavored syrup on it. That being said, I think the most common place people suggest to go is Matsumotos. However, besides being quite far from Waikiki and HNL, we thought Matsumotos was over-rated. Not bad, certainly not as coarse as a snow cone, but also not as good as a small shop we found right down the street from Irifune called WAIOLA SHAVE ICE. Incredible! Super finely shaved ice and tons of flavors including red beans (an asian favorite) and mocha! We loved it so much that in our one week trip we ended up going there THREE times and tried to go right before leaving, but it was closed! Do NOT MISS THIS TREAT!

Mahalo!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:32 PM

Auntie Pastos
L&L Drive-in
Shore Bird for breakfast
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 08:12 PM

There used to be be a really great Japanese deli in the Ala Moana center (in back, bottom level). Does anyone know if it's still there?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Wisteria, sort of in Waikiki on King or McCully street. Japanese sort-of-coffee-shop, great udon noodles.