Scarlett goes to Savannah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Yankee and I thought we would take advantage of a pup sitter and take off for a couple of days.
We decided on Savannah.
Would anyone like to recommend restaurants? I saw a Bistro that looked good, but I would prefer personal recommendations.
I am making lists of museums and historic homes, etc..if anyone wants to add a favorite, please do!
Thanks a lot
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:40 PM

Oh Scarlett, maybe I will run into you there. We are going there next week. When are you going?
I too would love additional names of reccomedned restaurants!! For me it would be just lunch as we are just there for the day!!!
Hope you have a Fabulous time!!!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Cassandra

The Pink House!

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:02 PM
bonniebroad

My sister and I, and our families, love River House, the Shrimp Factory, and especially Lady & Sons. But she just tried Telford's.......... where she had the grits cakes to die for, and now she can't wait to go back!

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

I have been told to have a praline as soon as I get there
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:18 PM
bonniebroad

Scarlett, eat your praline from the samples poured out on the counter for you to try! They're never as good again as they are when they're just cooling on that counter! Eat one for "moi."

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

bonnie- I think before the weekend is over, I will have tasted a praline for all of my friends ~
Should we take a tour of the homes or just wander on our own? We have so little time, I want to see as much as possible.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:41 PM
bonniebroad

Scarlett, you must go out to Bonaventure Cemetery........... do a carriage ride around the squares............ It's all so neat. I have toured all the historic homes, I believe. This last time we did the Mercer House (from *Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil*)... I enjoyed all of them, so just pick a couple that sound interesting and save the others for another trip. If you truly love old-fashioned Southern cooking, you want to go to Lady & Sons for lunch. We always eat at the River House, right on the water, one night (have that Chatham Artillery Punch) and then do the walkway along the water looking at the lights. There are neat shops along the riverfront so check'em out! If I think of something else, I will post more....... I'm jealous!

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:52 PM
dln

Scarlett, you will love Savannah! Bring lots of film for your camera. You will need it because there is so much lovliness in that city you will want to capture it all.

Where are you staying? We've stayed at the Old Harbour Inn on Factor's Walk and liked it very much. Breakfast in the morning and cocktail hour in the evening--wonderful!

Here's a website for you to look at for basic information about finding a tour you like. We always go on a tour when we're new to a city. It orients us and gives us a good idea of what we want to get a second look at afterwards. The website is http://savannahgeorgia.com. You're spoiled for choice in Savannah when it comes to tours.

Our favorite museum (don't miss this one!) is the house museum Owens-Thomas House on Abercorn Street. The house is very grand and there's a nice courtyard garden tucked away behind it, as well as a gift shop.

If you want to sample some real Southern food, you know what kind I mean--adds ten pounds to your body just by looking at it and makes your cholesterol rise before you take a bite, and is so delicious you can hardly stand it--then visit the famous Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room on Jones Street. If you take a look at the website (www.mrswilkes.com) you will see the menu. Will you be in Savannah on Friday? Mrs. Wilkes is closed on Saturday and Sunday. The food is served "boarding house" style so you'll be seated at a long table with lots of other people. It is so much fun talking to other visitors! The atmosphere is really homey and friendly.

Have you read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? The statue on the cover of the book, The Bird Girl, is now at the Telfair Museum of Art on Barnard Street if you want to visit.

Our two favorite squares (hard choice to make) are Forsyth Park with its beautiful fountain, and Monterey Square. But try to see them all!

You will love, love, love Savannah. I wish I were there this weekend!!

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Hyatt.
I don't know if we will be there for Friday dinner, but we will try to go to Mrs Wilkes if we do.
The museum will be one of our first stops.
I thought we might book one of the Carriage tours.
City Market galleries and shops.
So much to see, I bet the Yank will want to move there
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:01 PM
bonniebroad

One more thing, Scarlett....... we have stayed at the Gastonian (amazing), and the Hyatt Regency right on the water, (and a Comfort Inn this last time because they would accept the pooch).

My sister's favorite place is the Mulberry Inn, one street back from the water, I believe, where they have afternoon tea for the guests, and I think, cocktails and snackies in the evening before dinner.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... Savannah - how sweet it is!

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Scarlett, when are you going?
I, too, loved that book, )a true story)
I read the house draws oogling tourists.
Have a great time and hope to see pictures.
I'm glad you didn't title this ,
Scarlett does Savannah
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:16 AM
OliveOyl

Hi Scarlett...I only have a couple of seconds this morning, but will start with some ideas.

Yes, do a trolley tour to get the broad picture and a bit of the history first, then go back and walk on your own. I drew up a walking tour for someone a few months back which you might be able to find by clicking on my name. That really is the best way to get a feel for the city. Although you'll want to see River St...spend the least amount of time there. The essence of the city is in the squares back from the river.

There is one art museum, the Telfair, which is pretty nice, if small. There isn't much in the line of art galleries despite SCAD, but the house museums are great. dln's favorite is mine also, Owens-Thomas. The renovation wasn't complete while we were there, but that made it better for me...you could see what they had to bring it back from, what time, heat and humidity had done, and it was pretty amazing! Green Meldrim is also a good tour, but that house is all perfection.

Mrs Wilkes is only open for breakfast and lunch and closed weekends so I'm afraid you'll miss that this trip..but you are only two hours away...you can go again, and again. Lady and Sons is good for lunch though. Elizabeth's or Pink House for evening dining $$$$. Saphire Grill is good too. Elizabeths you'll have to drive to...in an old mansion with the dining room in the various rooms (Pink House is also like that), but it's not in a good area. Still...if you can get in, that's where I'd go. It's only about 1.5-2 miles from the Hyatt and easy to find, just south of Forsyth Park on 37th St (natch). That is the best in town still. Pink House has the same ambience. Il Pasticcio is only a few blocks from the hotel down Bull St--if they are still doing lunch...it's a good place for it. If you are in the mood for very casual, then the Crab Shack which I've described numerous times before. It's been found, so not as great as it once was. It's grown and now even has need for those dratted flashing coasters that call you when your table is ready. Some of the feel is gone with that and it is a haul out there (on the way to Tybee) when you only have a couple of days anyway.

Out of time...more later...

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Hi Miz Scarlett 8-) On our one night in Savannah on the way to Fla., we happened in on Bistro Savannah. It was good and felt a little like a Soho NYC restaurant (if you're feelin' homesick). High ceilings, big space, red and red brick walls and lots of art hanging. It was even in an area of town that was reclaimed warehouses (at least that's what it looked like). Good but not IMO great.

Found this website that might be helpful.
http://www.ourcoast.com/attractions/

Have a fun time.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Scarlett-if you haven't read it already, do get a copy of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" to read while you are there.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:54 AM
bonniebroad

OliveOyl, I agree with you that the essence of Savannah is in the squares......... but you need that dash of River Street for a little bit of (slightly) tacky, seedy waterfront experience while you're there! We usually reserve one night while we're there to eat at River House, checking out the shops before hand, then walk and look at the lights on the water afterward.

We canceled our reservations at Elizabeth's on 37th years ago, when they'd had two murders in the parking lot in a month...... and the Gastonian didn't bother to tell us about this, when they recommended the restaurant and made reservations for us. That was a long time ago, and I imagine the neighborhood has improved since then, because everybody goes there and raves about it. We must try again......

I think it's good to go to the Visitor's Center, and see the film about Savannah when you first arrive........ I find I always enjoy and appreciate a city more if I do that! I predict you'll go back many times, Miz Scarlett...........

One of my favorite areas is Forsysthe Park........ we were there when the Snapple guy's daughter was married there. WOW! What a show............ Everything looked so beautiful!

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Hi Scarlet...I think you and your Yankee will love Savannah! I went about 10 years ago with the girlfriends and we loved it, still talk about it, and are even threatening a return visit!

Here's what I recall as highlights of that trip:
We stayed at the Mulberry Inn (I recall it used to be a Coca-Cola plant). As another poster mentioned, tea in the afternoons and a pianist too. Good location, great concierge.

We all read "The Book" (Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil) prior to our visit then did The Book tour which included Bonaventure Cemetery & Telfair Museum and other locales from the book.

We ate at Mrs. Wilkes for lunch and the Pink House (I believe for dinner)both of which I recommend. We also ate at a wonderful seafood place but can't remember the name of it...happens often at my age!

I've since discovered The Lady & Sons(addicted to her show & cookbooks) and a meal there will be a must when we return.

We also did an historic bus tour and saw some lovely homes. But after 10 years, my favorite memory remains just wandering around the squares and the wonderful ambiance of that lovely city.

Hope you all have a great time!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Blacktie

... Elizabeth's on 37th, and you must make a reservation. It is the best in Savannah. And ignore any remarks about safety - it's fine.

... Sapphire at 110 West Congress (easy walk from Hyatt) is nice as well, and when you call to reserve, ask to be seated on the first floor, but not too near the bar. 912-443-9962.

... another to consider, Bistro Savannah at 309 West Congress - 912-233-6266. Very frinedly, great service and very nice food.

... the cemetery suggested is a must, as is simply walking around the historic area. It is safe. Certainly see SCAD's gallery, a very fine art school. Forsyth Park is a must as well.

... and you'll want to avoid a drive to Tybee Island, you don't want to waste your brief hours in a jam!!!

... and take your humidity pills, LOL.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:38 AM

When you get to the Hyatt (if not before) definitely tell them you would prefer a CORNER room which will give you a head-on view of the river as well as an either upriver or downriver view...believe me, these rooms are worth it and usually don't cost any extra.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Scarlett,

We have had fun lunches twice at a little seafood-and-beer place called Bernie's. (There is a picture of a Saint Bernard outside--I guess that's Bernie).

It's a good place for peel-your-own shrimp, etc., and is located on the river.

Byrd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -