SF/Yosemite driving questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In another thread (http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34510976) I got a number of really helpful suggestions about routes for our CA trip. [THANK YOU ALL!!!] I have a few specific Yosemite driving questions left and am posting in a new thread because the specifics seem to be getting lost under the more general prior post....

My two Yosemite-specific questions:

I'm thinking about heading in to Yosemite via Wawona (assuming we get there early enough in the day). Coming from SF airport, is this a mistake? Would we be better off just going in 140 (or 120)? If we do go in via Wawona (stopping at Mariposa Grove and Tunnel View), what is the best route from SFO to that entrance? (Leaving SFO very early afternoon on a Sunday; need to stop somewhere to buy supplies and eat lunch.)

Second, part of the motivation for doing the southern part of Yosemite on Sunday is to spend our last half-day (on the way out) in Tuolumne. If we do that, we'd presumably exit via 140 headed back to SF (city, possibly stopping for dinner in the East Bay...Berkeley?) What is the best route in that case? And is it possible to take *part* of Gardyloo's suggestion and see *some* of 49 -- maybe up to, say, Chinese Camp? -- and still keep the trip to 6ish hours?

Unfortunately, this whole trip is going to be too short to do everything. I feel like a kid in a candy shop, wanting it all, and just want to make sure that when I get there -- and don't have this wonderful resource handy! -- I can make informed (if difficult) choices.

Thanks again for helping!!

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:18 AM

We will drive to Oakhurst sometimes when we visit Yosemite because that area has the best accomodations in the region.

Just head south on I-5 from 580 and then turn on CA 140 East at Gustine. Take 140 to Mariposa and then CA 49 South to Oakhurst. However, this route will take you about 5 hours to reach the Park. If you are leaving in the afternoon from SFO, you will not have enough time to see the Mariposa Grove and Wawona before arriving in the Valley. You need to spend at least a couple of hours in the Mariposa Grove.

I'm not sure why you are going to Tuolumne on your way out. It's way out of your way and there isn't much there. It's a great place if you live there but not much for the tourist. It can also be very hot in summer (over 100). In the summer, we try to get through the hot areas as fast as possible, saving the visits to the Mother Lode area for the Spring and Fall. Also, if you're going to Tuolumne, you need to leave by CA 120, not CA 140. It takes 4 to 5 hours to get from Yosemite Valley to SF just driving straight through and depending on traffic.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Otis!

By Tuolumne, I meant Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite, not Tuolumne CA. It means we'd be likely to exit Yosemite on 120 (though we *could* cut over to 140). Tuolumne Meadows is supposed to be fantastic.

It does sound like we'd be cutting it close to see Mariposa Grove....What time do the shadows get bad (for the drive into the Valley)?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Tuolumne Meadows is even more out of your way than Tuolumne. You shouldn't drive all of the way up there and just turn around on your last day.

You need a whole day (at least) for a trip to the high country. There's so much to see up there. Olmstead Point, Lake Tenaya, Soda Springs, etc.

It really sounds like you don't have enough time to do all that you want.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Unless you have time to do some hiking (most of the day) you probably want to save the meadows for another trip. Might have missed the timing in your post, but if this is your first visit you could easily spend two full days in the valley area (Glacier Point and the floor of the Valley) Again depends on whether you are hiking or not. I love to bicycle around the valley floor which you could do all day stopping to do short hikes. Or I pick a long hike and spend the day doing that. I go often and still many hikes left to try.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

I realize that it's going to be tough to have such a short visit, but it is what we have. Based on a LOT of feedback, here's what I'm thinking:

Day one: Drive in from SFO. If we're running late, head straight to Yosemite Lodge. If we have time, drive in through the southern entrance, visiting Mariposa Grove and maybe Wawona and entering the valley via Tunnel View. (I recognize that this will take several hours.)

Day two: Wake up early (we can't help it, we're coming from the east coast). Assuming the smoke isn't too bad, hike the Mist Trail. I'd guess we'll only go to the top of Vernal Falls, but we'll see what the kids are up for. Picnic lunch somewhere scenic. Explore the valley after lunch, not expecting any more serious hikes but probably a few easy loops (Bridalveil, Yosemite Falls, maybe Mirror Lake if the kids are psyched.) Possibly drive up to Glacier point (would love to watch the sunset, but I don't really want to drive back to the valley in the dark....)

Day Three: Early drive up to Tuolumne Meadows. Visit Soda Springs, regret that we don't have time to hike to Lembert Dome (or do so and the kids will sleep in the car!). Leave the park and head back to SF, planning to get there in time for bed.

I know that this is just the briefest taste....

Old May 8th, 2005, 08:02 AM

When you get to Yosemite, you should just sit down and cry.
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM

I think your itin on your last posting is doable. You'll have a great time and will be able to see enough to help you plan your next trip! P.S. the pizza (and beer) sitting outside on the deck at Curry village is a my favorite after a day of hiking - lots of energy with all the people and you stare straight up towards Glacier point!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:39 AM
TT

As usual, this form is extremely helpful! Am going to be in S.F. for a few days in September on business. My wife and son will be doing some of the San Francisco city highlights on days while I have meetings. My wife and I have been to S.F. and Muir Woods before and I really want my son to see some redwoods. But, I've also always wanted to at least see a piece of Yosemite after looking at awesome pictures others have taken there.

The question is, if we can't leave S.F. til noon on Friday and have to be back to SFO to catch a flight early Sunday morning. Is is at all feasible to get to Mariposa late Friday afternoon, see the redwoods, and then stay somewhere nearby Friday night so we could at least get to and see a portion of Yosemite on Saturday before driving back to S.F. late Saturday night?

The other option is to just chill in S.F. Friday night and take a more relaxed visit to Muir Woods Saturday morning. I'm guessing that's going to be the recommendation, but just hate to miss at least getting a glimpse of the bigger redwoods and Yosemite as we may not be able to get back again.

Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Just to warn you that the traffic exiting the bay area on Fridays is MURDER! Hwy 580 is almost a parking lot! It will take a lot longer to drive than you think. If at all possible leave before noon. If this is the Labor Day Weekend, then you have my condolences!

Utahtea

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM

I'd plan on doing something closer to SF that weekend. The trip to Yosemite is doable, but you will likely spend a lot of time in traffic getting out of the bay area on friday and back into the bay area on sunday. Another sticky point with visiting Yosemite is the lodging. Although September is technically past the high season, everything in the valley is likely to be booked up and you may have to stay further out, which will also limit your time in Yosemite.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 12:40 PM
TT

Thanks for the replies! Just to clarify - it isn't Labor Day weekend, it's 9/16 weekend.

TT
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM

brie, to straightforwardly answer your question--yes, I think it would be a mistake for you to start from SF in the early afternoon and come into the park from the south.

The only good reason to come into the park from the south when driving from S.F. (unless you are planning on staying one of the luxury accommodations to the south mentioned above) is to see both Mariposa Grove and Glacier Point on your way into the Valley, and to do those places as they should be done you should probably leave S.F. before dawn. If nothing else, you will definitely want to take the tram ride through the Grove, and they stop running early, maybe 4 PM.

No need to take the southern entrance to enjoy the Tunnel View. It is only a couple of miles before Highway 41 meets Highway 140 (at a point after 120 joins 140) so if you come into the park on 120 or 140, all you need to do is turn on 41, drive less than five minutes south, and discipline yourself not to look behind you when you come to the tunnel!

After going through the tunnel (takes one or two minutes) just turn around at the turnout near the other end and come right back. You'll get the full effect of emerging from the tunnel right into one of the most famous views in the world. Do be careful to watch traffic, though, and go into the viewing area with the large parking lot at this point.

I agree with those above who hint that you are placing too high a priority on Toulumne Meadows. They are beautiful, as are many places in the mountain west, but not nearly as unique as Glacier Point or Mariposa Grove.

These are both, I think, absolute musts for every visitor who comes to the park for the first time during the period of the year when they are not closed by snow. I would give seeing them much higher priority than seeing Tuolumne Meadoes and the high country.

In fact, as well as looking down into the Valley from Glacier Point, looking in another direction from it you can look across and far away to a panorama of many of the high country peaks you would see on the drive to Tuolumne Meadows. You will not see views quite like the ones from Glacier Point anywhere on earth, and the only places on earth you'll see anything like the Mariposa Grove are in other parks in the vicinity. You'll have to see the scale and girth of those trees to believe them--it's indescribable except to say you may feel you've been shrunk.

So I'd trecommend you leave by the south entrance rather than coming in by it, since while doing that you'll have time to experience Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove with something closer to the time they deserve, and early in the day,leaving the drive to Tuolumne Meadows and the high country as what regrettably had to be cut out of a visit this short.

If you do this, at the south entrance of the park ask for directions to the short cut from Fish Camp over to Mariposa and Highway 140 back towards S.F. No need to go as far out of your way as Oakhurst, et alone Fresno.

But if you insist on the drive to Tuolumne Meadows on the way out, then coming in from S.F. I would still definitely use either 120 (twistier, more scenic route) or 140 (straighter, faster, lower altitude road with pretty river views.) I think you will find that they will take almost exactly the same amount of time from S.F., but both will save you substantial time from going out of your way to the south to come in on 41. Go straight to the Valley and enjoy it as much as you can that afternoon and evening. Continue to enjoy the Valley the next day, but spend some of the day making a round trip to Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove. Distances from the valley to these points are not so great--its only about fifteen miles from Yosemite Lodge to the point where the Glacier Point road heads off from 41, and from that intersection its about 15 miles out to Glacier Point and about 15 miles down to the Wawona/Mariposa Grove area. If you must drive to Tuolumne Meadows, cut some off your Valley time (although my recommendation would be longer in the Valley) but by all means do not miss, or rush yourselves at, Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove!
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:12 PM

TT, I don't know what effect this will have on your decision, but I want to emphasize that the Redwoods you see near te Coast are very, very different from the Giant Sequoias you see at Mariposa Grove and the other inland mountain parls, and seeing one of these two types of tree is not equivalent to seeing tthe other.

It's true both types of tree are big around, tall and old, but the Coast Redwoods are on the whole much taller and to most people, produce more beautiful groves, while the giant sequoias are much bigger around and older and to most people, are more exotic and staggeringly impressive. See both types--they're much different experiences.

If you've seen Muir Woods, but not Yosemite or Giant Sequoias, I'd say go for it. You won't believe your eyes when you see the big trees, the big rocks, and the big waterfalls. Better a quick visit than none at all. It will help you know how high a priority to put on coming back when you have more time.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:56 PM

JBC411 is right. Not only that, but the trees at the Mariposa Grove are much bigger than any of the Muir Woods trees. Get up to the upper grove at Mariposa, this is where the most impressive trees are, I think. You can hike up in an hour or less, or take the tram ride and get off at the small museum at the top and then just wander around there. Between the museum and the restrooms is a nice short trail with some big trees.

Your time is kind of tight, but there are tours that do both the valley and the grove and back and forth to SF in a single day. I would try to find somewhere close to the valley to stay Friday night and see both the valley and the grove on Saturday, make it a long day, then head back to SF in the evening. If you make good time or find a place to stay in the valley, you could check it out Friday evening, too.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 03:30 PM
TT

You all are the greatest ... thanks for directing me in a better sequence of sites to try in order for us to make the most of the limited time we have.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:56 AM
TT

Does this sound reasonable?

Friday noon: Leave San Francisco and get to the valley via 140
- what if the only place to stay in the valley Friday night is a tent in Curry Village? Supposedly, there's linens, etc. and it would be a memorable experience for my 10 year old; Will it be cold mid September? Is this not a good place to stay for 1 night?
- if the lodge is full and the tent isn't recommended, other suggestions for staying Friday night near the valley?

Saturday spend some time in the valley til early afternoon and head to Mariposa Grove to get to the tram parking lot by 3, take the tram up to the top and come back down and head back to S.F. I assume it'd be too much to try and get in Glacier Point - true?

Thoughts?
Thanks!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:30 AM
maj

Personally I would somehow make Glacier Point a priority. Although I think it takes about an hour to drive up to it from the valley, it is on the way to (or from) Mariposa Grove so the road up to it and back down would only add about an hour to your trip. You can spend as little or as much time as you want while there to see the views (which are fantastic).
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 09:15 AM

I'm with maj. Leave the Valley a little earlier and go to Glacier Point. In a pinch, you can make it an hour and a half round trip (including walking and viewing time at the Point) from the road to Wawona and Mariposa Grove. Glacier Point is a MUST.

Here's a couple ideas if you can't get into accommodations in the Valley and don't want to brave the Curry Village tent cabins (and that's a matter of personal preference and comfort level with a semi-outdoor experience. Yes, it may get cold at night.)

Is the Wawona Hotel (run by the park concessionaire, like Yosemite Lodge and Curry Village) full? It's one of the last remaining examples of the big old wooden resort hotels of the 19th century.

A little lacking in 21st century creature comforts, but an interesting educational experience in itself. Sort of an in-between Yosemite Lodge and the tent cabins type of choice, for something special you can rarely do elsewhere. And it is right at the jumping-off point for Mariposa Grove.

You could drive down there after spending some time in the Valley on Friday night. The Wawona is only 30 miles from the valley by Highway 41, a well-traveled road that is not particularly hazardous or scenic by Yosemite standards, and I don't think you should hesitate to drive it after dark to give yourselves more time in the Valley.

Then in the morning, you could see Mariposa Grove first thing, then work your way back north seeing Glacier Point, ending up in the Valley for as much more time there as you fewel you can spend before heading back to SF via 120 or 140.

If the Wawona is full, you could do basically the same thing with just a little more driving by staying at one of the accommodations at Fish Camp just outside the south entrance and a few miles south of Wawona.

Or you could stay at Yosemite West Condomimiums. They will rent for one night. I've done so and was very satisfied. The very short road to Yosemite West is just opposite the intersection of Highway 41 and the Glacier Point Road.

So then you would have only a 15 mile drive from the Valley at night to your accommodations, and then in the morning you could drive the additional 15 miles down to Wawona and pick up the plan for the day I described above.

I'd still recommend you do the Grove and then Glacier Point in that order if you are starting with them in the morning, to give the sun a better chance to burn off any morning fog which might impair your view from the Point.

Here's the web site for Yosemite West's description and its reservation info(featuring one of the views from Glacier Point, the one towards Half Dome.) http://www.yosemitewest.com/yoswest.html
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM
TT

When checking tonight, there was an opening at the Yosemite Lodge for the Friday night we'll be there - so, I booked it. That means, we'll be leaving S.F. around noon and heading to the valley (thanks, JBC, for the suggestion to take the side trip off of 140 on to 41 as we're coming in so that we can turn around and get the tunnel view coming in from that direction). I guess we'll just enjoy Friday evening in the valley. It's my wife's birthday - suggestions for a decent place to eat?

On Saturday, we'll make our way to Glacier Point and then on to the Grove. Is parking a problem? Seems like I read somewhere that the Grove parking lot fills up in the morning and then re-opens around 3PM. How long should I figure on it taking from Glacier Point to the Grove, and what's the latest I can get to the Grove and still be able to park and take the tram?

Hopefully, this is all reasonable. Thanks for all the input!

TT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -