The Cape vs. The Vineyard vs. Nantucket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Boston for 9 or 10 days on vacation. We like historical and cultural sites, so we are staying in Boson 5 nights. Any suggestions for our other 5 nights? Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod etc.? Food/Accomadations/Activities?
Thanks,
Poogie
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:04 AM

During your 5 days in Boston, are you planning any trips outside the city? There are plenty of things you might enjoy: Marblehead/Salem/ Rockport/Gloucester (i.e. the Nawth Shaw) -- or Lexington/Concord/ Sudbury/Wayland (with Walden Pond, Wayside Inn, DeCordova Museum).

If you head to the Cape and the Islands, I'd spend a couple of nights out on the further part of the Cape (Truro, Wellfleet, Orleans, Chatham) and then consider one or two days on Nantucket. Granted, there are more places to visit on Martha's Vineyard, more towns and restaurants, but Nantucket will give you more of a historical flavor of the "old" islands. You can do a day trip to either one, but you'll either have to rent a bike or you'd need a car on M.V., and that adds to the cost of the ferry.

You also might well consider heading up to Maine, beginning with Boothbay, and visiting Camden and Mt. Desert Island -- being sure you get out to the rocky shore north of Portland and see at least one lighthouse. You'd have just about enough time to do that.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:41 AM

The Cape is not known for historical and cultural activities, per se, so hopefully you'll get your fill in Boston. The two things to come immediately to mind, however, are a stop at Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower II in Plymouth, and the Whaling Museum on Nantucket. You could do all of Plymouth on your drive to the Cape (do not attempt Fri-Sun), and you could easily do a day trip to Nantucket on the Grey Lady high speed.

The Cape is more about nature, relaxation, and beaches. The Cape Cod National Seashore/Park is a great place to explore, and does have some historic lighthouses and museums.

I think you'd like Chatham as a base for your Cape Cod stay; fine hotels there include Chatham Bars, Wequassett Inn, and the Bradford Inn. For antiques and nice restaurants travel along Rt. 6A and take your pick!

As the above poster mentioned, the Northshore has many historical sites, including Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables and a wonderful museum in Salem called the Peabody Essex. You could also visit art galleries in Rockport and Gloucester, the Hammond Castle Museum in Gloucester, antique shops in Essex, etc... although as another poster here found, opening times are rather seasonal. You could do a day trip to Salem from Boston.

One more point of interest could be Newport, RI. The mansions there are really incredible. There is also a small vineyard close by, and fine dining abounds.

By the way, all of the above areas would probably offer "whale watching" or harbor tours, depending on the time of year of your visit.

Have fun planning! And I hope you enjoy your visit.

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:05 AM

I haven't really spent much time on MV or the Cape but I find Nantucket oozing with great history everywhere you look. There are several of the old houses you can tour. According to the Nantucket Historical society website, the Whaling Museum is currently closed for renovation but there are other things open.

http://www.nha.org/newsiteshome.htm

This website has a more complete list (including the Macy and Coffin houses)

http://www.virtualcapecod.com/Nantucket.asp

Sept. is a wonderful time there with less crowds and great weather. The food on the island is excellent if a bit expensive. There have been a number of previous threads on the various restaurants if you do a search. That last website or nantucket.net will give you lodging options. The b & bs are popular.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:17 PM

Hi: While I have no problems with all of the historical sites mentioned, I am dismayed that Provincetown on Cape cod is not mentioned.

This is where the Pilgrims first landed and where the Federal Govt. chose to erect the Pilgrim Monument and Museum.

If you visit Provincetown's Race Point, Wood End, Long Point and Provincelands you will see what the Pilgrims saw hundreds of years ago.

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Consider it mentioned!
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:30 PM

Martha's VIneyard wil also be beautiful then - I would tend to recommend Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket over the Cape in general. And the costs at that time of year will be similar.