Search

Fort Lauderdale Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fort Lauderdale Hotels

Hi,

I'm looking for a 4*+ hotel in FL where we can go out at night for a few glasses of wine without taking the car. Are there any even someway close to the Las Olas area? Or any other suggestions.

We got caught out badly in Naples last year where we ended up in a beautiful beachside hotel but 20 mins drive to any real life at night!

Thanks.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:41 AM

look at the Bahia Mar Radisson. It is on the water taxi route. The Riverside is a very nice hotel located on Las Olas Blvd.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:52 AM

It's true in Naples none of the beachfront hotels are near downtown. In Ft. Lauderdale there are several and the water taxi mentioned services them. Here's a map that shows the stops for the water taxi/bus.

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLMap.Asp

There's also a Marriott Hotel and a Marriott Condo in Delray Beach both across from the beach and just off the main drag of Atlantic Ave. where there's one rest. after another.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:45 AM

I agree with the Riverside Hotel advice...on Las Olas and near Riverfront.....and great clubs IMO, We stayed there twice and liked it very much...beautiful furniture IMO.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. Riverside looks like a good option. I've seen mixed reviews about in on tripadvisor but think it's worth taking the risk!

Emer
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:06 AM

I haven't stayed at the Riverside since they added the big wing, but used to stay there a lot. It's a perfect location for what you're suggesting, and has a nice pleasant pool area and bar to sit and relax out on the New River and watch the huge yachts go by.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:14 AM
JJ5

If that doesn't work, here is my experience about 10 days ago.

We stayed at the Renaissance just down the street from the Mariott Marina. I liked that this was kind of like having "two" worlds without a car. You could easily walk to the water taxi, and also could dine at the Mariott overlooking the canal (we watched them washing Donna Versace's ship Aphrodite while having a snack) and/or take the water taxi one stop down to the 15th Street fisheries. At 5pm they feed the tarpon etc. with the day's chum etc. and it's awesome to watch, plus you have GREAT seafood opportunities here. Try either of the specials. Wow! This is not dressy but terrific eating and people do show up with cameras for the fish/gull 5pm appearances.

And you could go the "other" way and walk less than 2 blocks to one of the best Japanese sushi places we have ever come across. It was posted by a Fodorite and that's how we knew it was there. It was crowded with locals by 6:30 pm. Tokoyo Sushi. They also serve many different noodles etc.

Different strokes for different folks, but we ended up liking these choices a lot more than the places we ate for much, much more $$$ on Las Olas.

Also do not miss the full water taxi A ride. They do an excellent commentary on the houses etc. We took it twice as we wanted to return to the fisheries and one other spot. Very interesting tales/histories to be told about these cottages/houses/castles. There were also several other good restaurants at the Mariott Marina as well.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:22 AM
JJ5

Forgot one detail. There were many young people at the Mariott for drinks/dinner and then we saw others depart for 2 or three different clubs on the canal. We ate outside and watched the traffic in the canal- it never stops- as well. Very good service and they never rushed us.

One of the clubs I believe, was Shooters.