Search

Come to the Ozarks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come to the Ozarks

OK, it's time for a posting about Middle America, namely, Springfield in the Mo. Ozarks. Enough about Florida and Hawaii, etc...time for travel plans to the Ozarks. Here we have the huge Bass Pro sporting equipment store with new Wonders of Wildlife museum next door, many caves, Wilson's Creek Nat'l battlefield, state parks with trout streams and float trips, new St. Louis Cardinal franchise in just built stadium, and yes many shows in Branson 30 min. south. If going there let me recommend World Fest at Silver Dollar City just opening for about a month long entertainment by international performers.

Oh yes, please shout "Go Lady Bears" as our Southwest Missouri State Univ. women's basketball team plays for the NIT championship tonight.

Ozarks Bill [email protected]
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:01 AM

Bravo Bill!

Jocelyn in Tulsa
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:18 AM

Thank You, Bill...........

'just south of you in Harrison, AR.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:27 AM

I'm coming next month--we visit my husband's uncle fairly regularly who lives on Bull Shoals Lake near Cedar Creek. We love it there! We might check out World Fest.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:28 AM

I think the Ozarks are great- have spent a lot of time around Ironton, Mo-
going to Johnson Shut Ins, Elephant Rocks- just hanging out at the river-
Still pretty uncommercialized-
many people only know about Branson- but there is a lot more to the Ozarks than that!!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:58 AM

Amen, sunbum! As a native Ozarker, I can say with confidence that this is a great area - and not at all because of Branson. The people are friendly, the outdoor activities are endless, and the scenery is spectacular. Life in the Ozarks is generally laid-back and easy to enjoy. And we are not all hillbillies!!!! There are theaters, upscale hotels and resorts, and quiet escapes that rival the solitude of anywhere on earth.

"The Ozarks" also extends into NW Arkansas, which is also a beautiful area. If you like fly fishing, the White River has been rated as one of the top locations to catch trophy-size trout. The Boston Mountains are beautiful, and elk herds have been reintroduced to this area.

If anyone is looking for a quiet, relaxed vacation with lots of outdoor activities at a budget price, the should consider the Ozarks.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 09:10 AM
jor

I'm not from the area but Bravo for the heart land. It you go just an itsi bitsi further north you can experience Minnesota!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM

Beckers- I think NW Arkansas is one of the best kept secrets in the US- it is so beautiful- and unspoiled and uncrowded-
the downside for me is the heat and humidity in the summer - but other than that I hightly recommend it. The area I spent the most time in ( southern Missouri) also is very historic- civil war battle fought in area around Ironton with remains of fort- have reinactments every so often-
last time I was there we found a spot on the river and there was not another soul there -
dont get back often now though as I am in Oregon but many fond memories
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:17 AM

sunbum, which battlefield are you referring to? I would love to go there. I used to volunteer at Wilson's Creek National Battlefield. It is just outside Springfield - one of the first major battles of the Civil War. If you are ever here around the middle of August, Wilson's Creek does what the call the "Moonlight Tour" - a reenactment, after dark, of the day of the battle. The Ray House at Wilson's Creek was there at the time of the battle, and that is always included in the Moonlight Tour.

You are right about the humidity! It can be unbearable at times, but I still wouldn't think of living anywhere else.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:45 AM

Just got back from Springfield and I suppose I am suprised that it was not really "Ozark-y"
Flat and not really impressive.
People were very nice and I had a great meal at BIJANS. I stayed at The Mansion at Elfindale which was very different. I loved it, my coworkers thought it was creepy.
Anyway, I guess my point is that I was expecting something more interesting in SGF and it looked like Wichita KS.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:54 AM

The battle field is in Pilot Knob- I believe they have a small museum there-
all that is really left of the fort is a circular mound of dirt - but my mother in law actually found a civil war bullet that washed down into her yard one day. Also Grant recieved his commission as General in Ironton - and there are still cannonball holes in the courthouse I am told.

Beautiful area -
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Hey, glad to hear from you Middle- westerners, past and present...and future? Jocelyn, let me promote the Gilcrease Museum and Tulsa Opera! And yes, any and all, head down into Arkansas (how about the Ozark Folk Museum, Saturday night in Mountain View, Eureka Springs, Bull Shoals, etc). And yes, over to Johnson Shut-ins and Ft.Donaldson also in SE MO.

Now a word to TxTravelPro: we don't look like hillbillies, that's for sure.
My son lives in Wichita...now that's flat! You do need to get oout of Spfld to see the Ozarks, that's correct.

BTW, I posted this as a general affirmation of all Middle America sites. I was reared in the other Springfield, Illinois that is. Most posts on Fodor have been about East or West Coast destinations. Our son who teaches in NY always values his Midwestern values.
Ozarks Bill
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:20 PM

Thanks, Bill. I'm embarrassed to say that I've lived in Tulsa for almost a year now and I haven't been to either the Opera or Gilcrease! I have taken the kids to the new Aquarium several times, though, and last spring/summer we enjoyed quite a few strolls through gorgeous Woodward Park and the gardens at Philbrook.

My brother is an SMS grad. Go Lady Bears!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Jocelyn, you are typical no doubt...you go to something when taking out-of-town guests. We do have friends who travel to Tulsa often for the opera (which is a special taste).

Yes, the Southwest Mo. St. Un. Lady Bears did win the WNIT final last night! With April having arrived March Madness is almost over...NCAA title this weekend.

Hey, Beckers, you must live in the area.

Ozarks Bill
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:48 AM

Bill- Yes, always have and probably always will! I love it here. I grew up half way between Jamesville and Boaz - if you can figure out where that is, a gold star to you!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Well, I find this very intersting. I live in California but had moved to Blue Eye MO and was there for 7 years before moving back to California. I'm considering moving back to that area when I retire. It's a wonderful place to live.

And yes, there is much more than Branson although the restaurants, shows and Silver Dollar City are great! Eureka Springs was always one of my favorite places!

I'll be there in September on vacation, visiting friends I made when I lived there!

And I think Springfield MO is a beautiful city!!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Hate to be too picky but Bill's comment "new St. Louis Cardinal franchise in just built stadium" is not a true statement.

St Louis Cardinals are one of the oldest franchises in baseball (1892 as the St. Louis Browns, officially changed name to Cardinals in 1900. Nine World Championships and fifteen National League pennants), and the new Busch Stadium will not be open until Spring 2006.

Otherwise, I'm glad that Bill is promoting the Ozarks....
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:24 AM

I have been to the Ozarks many, many times. I used to be a tour director and went to Branson at least 15 times. I have been to many other places too and it is quite beautiful...very underestimated.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Liz, Bill is actually right. He's not talking about the St. Louis Cardinals - St. Louis is not a part of the Ozarks. Bill is talking about the new Cardinals AA affiliate, the Springfield Cardinals, who is in fact new to Springfield. They played two exhibition games against the St. Louis Cardinals less than 2 weeks ago on the new Hammons Field.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Sorry to be so wrong, I really didn't know about the new AA stadium. And, it looks like it's worth a visit, thanks for clueing me in....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -