Looking for that perfect town..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking for a place to settle down and raise a family in the next year or two. We are looking for a place small town, something like Pleasantville, Stepford Wives type town that is less than an hour from an airport. We would love to have something near the mountains or water, but anywhere that is like those towns that is close knit, family oriented town activities. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:52 AM

You could try looking in the New England area. With several airports, you have lots of choices. Wherever you choose, I strongly recommend having your children join 4-H. You do not have to have animals or live on a farm although some specialty clubs on the county level focus on sheep or horses, for example. Your child can choose projects in his/her interest area but the best clubs have the most active parents who help out as project leaders. One of the advantages of 4-H is the many opportunities to meet and work with kids from other towns and states. Some get the opportunity to travel to other states. An example of small town life? My dental hygeniest happens to live in the same town. Since she's a former 4-H club member she is looking forward to having her children in 4-H. She has a daughter and is pregnant with her second child. If it's a boy, both children can belong to the same club which makes logistics easier for parents. She said it would be neat if my granddaughter and her daughter were in the same club. My husband and I volunteered yesterday at the 4-H Country Kitchen fund raiser at the state fair. We worked side-by-side with current teen members and parents. This is the real secret of 4-H. It's a family organization that teaches important life skills. Close knit, family oriented activities require a lot of parent involvement. Two of the teens working with us also own horses so, according to their Mom, they are up every day at 5:30 am to take care of the horses before they go to school. It's a fantastic experience to hear happy teens talking about their summer activities. The kids in sewing projects visited NYC. Another when to a quiz bowl in KY. My niece is starting her first teaching job and we're sure her years of experience as a 4-H camp counselor helped her land that job. New England as lots of mountains and water but make sure you are willing to jump into the network of volunteer activities that help maintain that wonderful small town. Those activities range from volunteer firefighter to teaching Sunday School to contributing a salad or pie to the local ham and bean suppers.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM

So you folks can just choose a place regardless of employment prospects? And you want the ideal town? Hmm... wonder what ideal is, anyway...like no racial diversity, no poverty, no child abuse, no drugs? I'm teasing you of course, but only a little, because likely there is no perfect place.

HOWEVER, I will invite you to consider Springfield, Missouri, in the Ozarks, an inexpensive medium size city with several universities and cultural features, good churches and schools, located near lakes, trout streams, hills, caves, and to the south the Branson shows(nuff said about that).

No kidding, we did retire here because of some real plusses. Where we live is only minutes from the shopping mall and maybe ten minutes from the large concert hall with symphony and Broadway shows, also the new ballpark with St. Louis Cards affiliate. And speaking of St. L. we do get there and to K.C. for various reasons, though mostly fly out of Spfld. Just back from Eastern Europe by way of JFK and soon to fly to Boston via Chicago.

Want more? Last night we strolled downtown in a delightful arts walk and earlier went to several Independent films at library and Missouri State Un.
Blues Festival next weekend.
Contact me at [email protected]
ozarksbill
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM

I find this post very frightening. Perfect is described as Pleasantville or Stepford. How awful. Both movies that never had anything to do with reality.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:51 PM

Actually, I lived in Stepford for a short while and it is not what it is cracked up to be
Pleasantville is a bit too pleasant for my taste.
I don't know where you live now, which makes it sort of hard to suggest something..it could be where you are
But, we have been through this househunting, townhunting dilemma a bit in the past few years. We read wonderful things about Camden Maine, Maryland, North Carolina has decent weather most of the time and good beaches and lovely mountains.
We just moved to Portland Oregon which has most of what you want, although our children are out of school, I have heard some of the schools are good, I don't have any experience with that.
But they have almost got their quota filled and will not be accepting anymore new people in the city
You need to do a ton of homework and whittle down the places that appeal to you and start visiting them .. Have fun!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 04:08 PM

I recently moved to Boise, Idaho from California. Many people are moving here because it is such a great place to live! If you are the outdoorsy type, there is a lot to do........biking, hiking, skiing, etc. The climate is relatively mild and you get to enjoy all the seasons. We have a nice size airport and a good school system. The crime is relatively low as well. The family unit is very strong here because of the Mormon influence. Although Boise continues to grow, it still retains the small town feel.
Good luck!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Try New Hampshire. Jackson is wonderful. Paul
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I MUST echo Author: shaz60 in a very LOUD voice

You can find the required water etc, 1 hour from an airport. Simply look on a map and pick a spot. You are set to go!

The “close knit” “family oriented” is pure fantasy. I grew up in a small town. Often the “everybody knows everybody” is the fantasy term for the gossiping behind the back whisperers knowing everything and spreading it. Those who are not like that only know your name rank and serial number so to speak. But they really don’t “know you”

One of Wisconsin’s (worlds) most notorious serial murderers came from a small WI town, Plainfield. and SHOCK know body had a clue.

The closest thing to what you want that I have seen to is the Amish, Mennonites etc. But even then that “the Walton family” bubble bursts when their dirty laundry is revealed. College and Military service can produce this close knit thing for a few months due to all in the same boat together. But as soon as one can jump ship then there goes the arrangement.

Dance with the one that brought you - If you have family some where then stick around nearby them. Find a good strong church. Treasure your husband. Throw your TV set out the window for a few years. Build that ideal in the relationship with the members of your family. Small towns do not magically deliver it.

I live in the big city now. And my world within a world fulfils the requirements you describe. I simply bypass all those things that do not fit in to my definition of what I want. In effect there it is.

You can find the required water etc, 1 hour from an airport. Simply look on a map and pick a spot. You are set to go!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Agrestic, California would be perfect. You can see it on Showtime's new show called "Weeds".

-Bill
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Yeah, several of us reacted to that perfect town idea. There ain't one because there ain't perfect people. Fact is, in Missouri we can boast of being first in meth production. So even while we may like our own spot it is often due to what we really seek out. For some it may be theatres and for another golf courses.

Sobolik, you are right about those so called small town values...let's don't forget the gossip and ingrowness. But the original post was probably serious about a place to raise kids. We also enjoy a city where can make our own friends and seek out our own diversions.

ozarksbill
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM

I retired to the "perfect" town but am not revealing the location as it is getting to be too well known and I am selfish and want it too stay the way it is.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 02:24 PM

I would suggest Colorado--Fort Collins, Loveland, Estes Park, maybe even Colorado Springs.

Sue
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:31 PM

any small town in the northwest would fit your bill....safe, tons of nature, family oriented, etc.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Ft. Collins, CO was just voted the most livable city in the US by Money magazine.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM

What's that place in Florida? Celebration? Where the tv sets only get the Disney channel, you can't park your car in the front yard and everyone goes to the same church? Kids wear uniforms to school and parents wear uniforms to work? All the restaurants serve mickey mouse waffles? Everything is fat free?

Sounds pretty Stepford to me!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:40 PM

A few weeks back there was a thread called "Small Town America". I'd top it for you but it's been frozen (no one can post on it). But if you type Small Town America into the search box and hit the search button, you can pull it up.

I'd suggest you read it as it has a lot of interesting perspectives.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Seaside, FL is VERY Stepfordish. The movie, The Truman Show, was filmed there. Near water. Near an airport.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not trying to step on the generosity of fodorites but make note that the OP is dated 2005. Who knows, she may still be looking for Perfect Town!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:03 AM

good catch, obxgirl!

wonder why that one was topped?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:25 AM

not sure why this was topped either, but I echo the sentiments of those who find nothing pleasant whatsoever about the thought of living in "pleasantville" or "stepford"....YUCK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -