which island? which resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon to hawaii in October 2006. We recieved free airfare for a promo where I bought my dress. However, this limits the places we have to choose from because in exchange for the airfare, we have to stay in one of three hotels in standard rooms. The three places are: Hanalei Bay Resort, Kauai; Turtle Bay Resort, Oahu; and Royal Lahaina, Maui. Before I recieved the airfare, we wanted to go to Kauai because we like taking hikes and more of the natural side of hawaii. Maui was our second choice. I had never considered Oahu because reviews always say that it is really crowded and touristy. Based on this, can anyone help us out? We don't care about being pampered but also don't want to stay in a dump.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:35 PM

I'd go with Oahu... I've stayed at Turtle Bay and it's lovely. There are great hikes near the Resort thru the Bird Sanctuary and on the coast line, also a great Spa. If you've never been to Hawaii, Oahu is a great starting point. I think Maui is more crowded and touristy than Oahu... Just be sure to check on line to see if they are ripping you off regarding the hotel prices! Good luck to you!!!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM

Island wise... I'd stay away from Oahu and go for Maui & Kauai; resort wise Turtle Bay is the nicest. Hanalei & Royal Hawaiian would be like 3 star resort.
I've stayed in Hanalei and the scenery is just spectacular: waterfalls, ocean, senset, mountains. The hotels are like apartments, with your own kitchen & washer/dryer.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:17 PM

In my opinion the Hanalei Bay Resort has one of the most spectacular views of anyplace on the island of Kauai. The Bali Hai restaurant at the resort is also our favorite place to eat. We've never actually stayed at the resort but always make it a point to go there for a couple of breakfasts and at least once for dinner.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I have been to all three islands and based on what you want to do I would go with Hanalie Bay. The views are spectatular with lots of hiking opportunities in the area. The little town of Hanalie is very charming. Hanalie Bay REsorts has a great restaurant and WOW views

I have a trip reort and lots of pictures of all three island just email me at [email protected] and I can send you the link

kay Mitchell
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:30 PM
bonniebroad

nich617, do compare the prices you're paying to stay in those standard rooms at those hotels with the best on-line prices for them, and make sure that you aren't paying so much for the rooms that you actually ARE paying your airfare, in a sense. Also, are you saving enough money with this promo deal to make it worth letting that promo dictate the destination for your honeymoon. When I've looked at this kind of deal (free airfare but stay in THESE hotels), I definitely didn't find it in my best interest.

Having said that, all three hotels are decent ones, especially Turtle Bay .... just make sure you aren't way over-paying for what you're getting. If I went with this plan of yours, I'd probably choose Oahu (wonderful island, only Waikiki is crowded ... but I still love it! ) Aloha and good luck with your planning!

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:52 PM

I prefer Oahu to any other island. It has crowded areas, mostly Waikiki and Honolulu as a whole. Oahu also has isolated areas.

But, if your free airfare includes any of the other islands, I'd choose Maui or Kauai..

Save Oahu for a different time.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831

Maui:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

Big Island:

www.bigisland.org

Kauai:

www.kauai-hawaii.com

www.kauaidiscovery.com

Many of the sites will send you free brochures.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 08:30 PM

My husband and I just got back from Kauai a few days ago for our 2nd honeymoon(27yrs)and had we known then what we know now Kauai would have been our 1st honeymoon!!!Awesome for lovers of quiet beautiful, spectacular nature.Plenty of empty beaches and places to hike and walk.Hanalei Bay is wonderful!!! Have fun and congrats!!!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM
lvk

I have been to all 3 islands (but only one of those resorts you mention), and I would have to vote Kauai the best for what you are looking for.

Having said that, I'm not sure about the weather on the north shore of Kauai in October. Maybe AuntieMaria, our Kauai resident fodorite can weigh in on this.

We stayed at a privately-owned condo at the Hanalei Bay Resort and loved it. It was a family trip, here is my trip report which has a link to some photos taken at the HBR: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34662151.

However, I have read reviews on the standard hotel rooms there, and they have not been very favorable.

If I were you, I would opt for the place that offers the nicest lodging. You can find natural beauty and hiking trails on any of the Islands.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Let me second the warning about pricing the deal with your own airfare and hotel. IMHO, if you are pretty close in price then you would be better off making your own arrangements.

I've stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort, although this was about 2 years ago. We got a standard hotel room through Expedia in the mountain view catagory. In short the room was a dump. The management company was ResortQuest/Aston and the rooms were not kept up at all. That said there are other management companies that have rooms that are much nicer and kept up. The ocean view units were nicer. The resort was being converted to a timeshare so perhaps some of the bad units were improved.

That said, HBR is in a great location and has great views. There is a steep walk down to the beach which is shared with the Princeville resort. It is a nice beach. The resoirt has tennis courts and a really neat pool with a custom lava rock hot tub. I left with the feeling that this place must have been an awesome resort one day, but just not kept up. The north shore of Kauai is spectacular and is not really crowded and touristy as compared to Oahu and Maui.

I've never stayed at the Royal Lahina, but I've been to Kaanapali beach which is pretty built up. Not as bad as Waikiki though. According to the web page it has 500+ rooms which is not my idea of a vacation. Kaanapali beach however is one of the nicest in Hawaii.

I'm pretty sure Turtle Bay resort is on the northshore of Oahu and so it is not in Waikiki. So you are away from that but there isn't much else around.

Spend some time on the internet looking at these resorts and you'll get more ideas.

Alan
Alan
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 08:51 AM

We stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort a few years ago. While I wouldn't call it a dump, the standard room we stayed in was outdated and stale (for lack of a better term). We did their timeshare presentation in exchange for a $100 certificate in their restaurant, and it was clear that all of the $$$ went into those timeshare units. Pool looked great, but when we went (it was October) it was freezing. Restaurant view was great, but food was mediocre at best, and I got eaten up by mosquitos. I do have to say, though, that the pictures we took around the property are beautiful--what a location!

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 03:45 PM

You need to consider the weather. Hanalei Bay is a gorgeous location, but the north shore can be cool/rainy in Oct as previously noted. The Maui location will almost always assure you of better weather. Do investigate the hotel prices on your own. Before booking a room, call the hotel to check on the exact location/view of their standard room.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 03:59 PM

What does the word "touristy" mean? All of Hawaii is full of tourists so does that make it "touristy?"
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM
bonniebroad

I will have to respectfully disagree with breckgal about the likelihood of it being cool and rainy on the North Shore of Kauai in October. It would be very unusual, as October is still *summer* in Hawaii. Now getting into November, I would worry about it more ... but not likely in October.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 11:58 PM

Nich617, congratulations on your marriage!!
Location of Hanalei Bay Resort is spectacular. The views from the property itself are gorgeous, landscaping-including tropical look pool and hot tub-- is beautiful. Have stayed there twice in a "standard" room--once before it was turned into mainly time-share condos when the room was basic but fine, and the second time, after it was undergoing conversion. As Alanwar and luvhawaii said, the standard room then was between dump and stale, a real letdown. This last stay was in 2000, so maybe Resortquest/Aston's rooms have improved. From what others say here, doesn't sound like it.
But...even if it's your honeymoon how much time do you plan to spend in the room? The grounds/views from HBR, and even more, the surrounding No Shore of Kauai, are beyond-belief spectacular!!

Royal Lahaina is at the north end of the Kaanalpali Resort area. I dont care for Kaanapali anyway--TOO resorty--and that northern end (north of the Sheraton) doesn't even have the compensation of lots of shops restaurants on beach, etc as the area in the southern (Hyatt, Marriott) end of Kaanapali.

Turtle Bay--never stayed, but north shore of Oahu is gorgeous. The entire island is wonderful. Please don't believe everything you hear--Oahu is an entire island and in my experience, not "really crowded and touristy" as you've heard. Heck, even most of Honolulu is not crowded ( less so than most o other cities I've been to) and touristy. I love Waikiki--but Oahu is waaaaayyy more than justifiably famous stretch of beach.

Weighing all the responses here, based on what you've written, I'd recommend Kauai. And IF the room at HBR is a dump, you and your husband should speak to the manager, tell him it's your honeymoon, and get the room changed!!!! Or call the manager a week or so before your arrival, then again a day before, and specify that you've heard some stuff that concerns you--can he or she speak with you when you arrive?

Have fun with all your wedding and trip plans!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:34 PM

A friend of mine goes to turtle bay resort alot! Married on Oahu the first trip and does an annual anniversary trip there. She loves the resort!

Belle
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM

My husband and I were in Hawaii this
last summer staying on the island of
Kauai. Previously we have been to
Mauii, the Big Island of Hawaii, and
Oahu. Of the four places Kauai is my
favorite because of the very reasons
you mentioned. On the island of Kauai
you have the benefit of seeing the
desert, the ocean and the mountains.
Depending on what your particular
favorite they are all there. On the
north side you will see some of the most
spectacular sea cliffs. There is
nothing so beautiful than seeing the
stark black of the cliffs against the
very blue waters of the Pacific Ocean.
Than you have the very beautiful Grand
Canyon of the Pacific. You have several
very beautiful hikes in forest preserves
and if that is not enough you have got
at your disposal some of the most
beautiful waterfalls in the world on
that island. For honeymooners they
have special things all you have to do
is contact their visitors bureau on the
island and let them know you are on your
honeymoon and you can just pick and
choose from whatever you would like to
do while there. You can do alot or can
do a little and just enjoy the beautiful
landscape by just driving and walking or
swimming. There are so many beaches
you could not begin to see them all
unless you are planning on being there
a very long time. Hopefully this was
of some help. Have a very good time.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 07:42 PM

My wife and I honeymooned on all 3 islands 5 years ago and we just got back this week from Maui. Kauai is more private and less people with allot of vegitation and wild roosters running around. Maui has nicer resorts but there are more tourists. Oahu is ok but Waikiki and Honolulu are like a big city and the other side of the island has resorts. For everything you said I think Kauai is the place you should go..
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:39 PM

since you're getting free airfare that you would have to spend to go somewhere, use some of that money to upgrade from the standard room to a deluxe ocean view room. i'd pick Kauai, Maui and Oahu in that order...Turtle Bay is really the nicest of the three but it's way out so if you want to go to town, or the airport it's quite a drive.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 05:43 AM

I'd go to Oahu and Kauai, because the hotels you're looking at on those islands are vastly superior to the Royal Lahaina, which in my opinion is a dungeon.