Search

aloha swap meet/chinatown tour question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aloha swap meet/chinatown tour question

Hi-
Does anyone know if the Aloha swap meet is/isn't held the Saturday/Sunday of Pro Bowl weekend? I don't see anything mentioned on their site about it, but thought I'd better check since they might still be able to hold it that Saturday. Also, I'm interested in the Chinatown culinary walking tour that I see offered on the Chinatown site. Can anybody recommend it? Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

ttt
anybody?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Aloha Stadium Swap Meet will be open on Saturday, Feb 11, closed on Sunday, Feb 12.

For anyone else, it will also be closed on Saturday, January 21 for the Hula Bowl game.

The best Chinatown tour is with Pake Pork Chop as the guide. He is a regular on this forum.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Personally, I would skip the Swap Meet. We went and I was disappointed. Lots of trinkets & "stuff" and what I could call junk, if that's what you are looking for, i.e. grass skirt & coconuts for $6. My wife did buy a pair of costume ear rings. You can get 10 t-shirt for $20 -- not great quality. If you're buying for a bunch of small grand children, maybe worth it. I bought some nuts & shaved ice, just to pass the time.

Just my opinion. Others may think I'm misrepresenting. If you're pressed for time, skip it. If not, go to put the check in the box.

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Hi Antoinette.
For what it's worth, we are planning to go to the swap meet on Wed Feb 8, though Budman has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm. As he says, I can "check it off" the list.
Also planning to take the Chinatown culinary tour with Pake Pork Chop
on Feb 13. It goes every Monday at 9:30 am, starting at the Chinese Chamber office at 42 North King Street on the second floor.
As you know, more information on this tour and other valuable Chinatown info is available at
http://www.chinatownhi.com/gwt.asp
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:14 PM

hikerboy, didn't mean to dampen your enthusiasm. If you have limited time, I would do other things.

I only wish I would have had time to do the Chinatown tour with Pake Pork Chop and a GTG drink with MelissaHI. I'm thinking that would have been lots of fun.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:11 PM

PakePorkChops Chinatown tour is highly recommended!!

Belle
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the recommendation of Pake Pork Chop. I am planning a trip to Oahu in May, and would love to have a tour of Chinatown. I'll look into it right now!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm somewhat confused on the Pake Pork Chop reference though-is he the Anthony Chang mentioned on the Chinatown site? The tour sounds like it will be a lot of fun-we've done a similar one in Toronto that was very informative.
Toni
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Hi Antoinette.
Anthony and Pake Pork Chop are one and the same! I believe PPC is the "handle" Anthony uses on Fodor's.

If you turn up for the February 13 Chinatown tour, we'll see you there!
Following the tour, we intend to have lunch in Chinatown; restaurant selection will be guided by our senses of sight, sound and smell during the tour (and perhaps a tip from Anthony)!
Following lunch, we will carry on to the nearby Foster Botanical garden and the Aloha Tower and Marketplace.
Kevin
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM

In case anyone else has their spirits dampened, I lived on Oahu for a year and I looked for any excuse to go the swap meet. The novelty of finding something cheap in Hawaii never wore off, and if you take the time there are some nice things there -- wood bowls, straw purses, cute tank tops, island decorations that aren't tacky, etc. Just remember to wear sunblock.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM

How many have actually eaten the "hula bowl" at the hungry lion in Honolulu?

I would not miss the dish but go to the game!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Merry what about Longs Drug? Good place for cheap substitute for swap meet.

I would also check online for swap meets elsewhere. These vendors have got to go somewhere to make up for lost revenue. Probably won't be as grand in scale but you should not feel like you can't find something else, or a different day even to visit this meet.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Now i've got my family excited about doing this our next Honolulu trip...

Can someone please tell me is any eating involved as part of the Culinary Walking Tour w/ Mr Anthony Chang aka Pake Pork Chop, or that's something you do on your own after the tour?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM

We thought the swap meet was definitely worth the time and the drive, we only went there with the expectations of buying some interesting Hawaiian knick knacks & souvenirs on a budget and that's what we got. I even got 2 nice Hawaiian print suitcases for 40 bucks. IMO, the selection & prices were better than at the International Marketplace.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Yes, to both,just depends on what you arrange and Anthony can accomodate on that particular day.

I understand, when iceeu2 went, someone (probably her) arranged for a GTG, and she even succumbed to the chicken paws!

When I went, MelissaHI was going to be on the mainland, and I was trying to coordinate some other convention attendees whose schedules I was uncertain of, so we did not push the GTG idea, although I would have LOVED to to it!

What we did was, Anthony takes you behind the scenes, as well as in front of restaurants and points out/explains different cuisines/dining styles and we observed some things being made.
He had to leave quickly after our tour, so he did not remain to eat with us (Dr. appt., I think). But we did choose a restaurant and ate there...thoroughly enjoyed it!

1st thing, he gives you a little history and shows you a touch of art. I wish I had purchased one of the rose wood fans!

The leis there are more beautiful and very much less expensive than I'd seen elswhere...very elaborate ones!

Anthony gifted us with a sample of very popular Chinese cuisine to taste also!

He is very personable and I'm sure you will enjoy the tour!

Belle
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM

suze -

If you want to eat on your own after the tour, I'm sure Pake Pork Chop can give you good suggestions. If you would like him to join you for lunch, I'm guessing that you could arrange that, too.

When iceeu2 was in town, we had a GTG immediately after their tour and all met for dim sum.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
thank you my friends, much appreciate hearing the details.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM

hmmmm, a GTG in Honolulu? Sounds like it could be fun!

For the Chinatown tour, I know my mother would really enjoy the lei making part, and I'd love the behind-the-scenes culinary stuff. Can't wait to get it all set up!

I'm having fun researching all the good stuff here on this site. Thanks for all the details everyone offers. It really helps to get personal recommendations.

Mahalo.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Hi Antoinette and others.
Are you interested in a GTG following the Chinatown tour, say around noon on Monday, February 13?
Pake Pork Chop has previously suggested dim sum at Mei Sum, Fook Lam, or Legend. There may be other places better suited to our needs. Perhaps PPK would be gracious enough to join us, and we should, of course, defer to the locals to pick the place. Chepar and MelissaHI, are you interested?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -