Search

Recommendations Needed to Help Prevent Air Sickness/Nervousness

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations Needed to Help Prevent Air Sickness/Nervousness

Hello

I don't particularly like to fly and usually end up getting nauseau while flying. Partly due to nervousness and working myself up.

Anyway, I am being courageous and taking my children (ages 3 and 7) to Florida next month and would appreciate any suggestions to help out during the flight.

In the past, I have taken liquid ginger and that worked well. Curious to hear what others do.

Thank you.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:34 AM
aggiemom

I also get motion sickness. I take Phenergan which is a prescription drug that works best for me. It helps with anxiety, too.

If the ginger works for you, I'd continue that if only because it does not make you drowsy like most drugs do, including the Phenergan as well as Dramamine. Bonine is a non-drowsy medicine (active ingredient is meclizine) and does not work as well in me for some reason. Many others like it.

I notice a lot of people here wear the Sea-Bands on their wrists. I can't tolerate them due to a medical thing, but I hear many get great relief.

Try to sit at a window and keep your eyes moving around the airplane. Don't read for any length of time if it makes you queasy. I like to sip 7-up or Sprite and eat lightly. Salty things work better for me than sweet.

In the days before your trip you might want to try a mild tranquilizer like Xanax from your doctor. Be aware that it can make you sleepy and I know I couldn't take it and be alert enough to take care of my kids. You might want to try it at night and see how it works for you.

Good luck!

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM

This is only a small suggestion, but I find that I get less motion sick in the car if I've eaten. For some reason, on an empty stomach I am more prone to it. So, in addition to the above I would recommend being sure to eat something, even if you have butterflies in your stomach!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Bring lots to do. Watch the movie. Write ideas for a new project you want to start on, bring some interesting magazines, talk to your kids about school, etc. Vary what you do and keep yourself very busy and you should be fine.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:09 AM

I tend to get motion sick easily and found the following help me the most:
.Don't keep reminding yourself or having others reminding you of how motion sick you always get.
.Try to reduce the anxiety because it only increases stomach acids which make you more prone to motion sickness.
.Reading, watching movies, etc tend to make it worse.
.Definitely eat something before because stomach acids are harder on an empty stomach more than a full one.
.Health permitting, try a cocktail of pepto bismol, xanax, dramamine and ginger. The xanax reduces anxiety, the pepto neutralizes stomach acid, and the dramamine and ginger help with the motion sickness.

Some people swear by the patch but I've heard a lot of controversy surrounding it so I am afraid to try it.

Good luck and don't let it stop you!

Joni
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM

I should probably add with the cocktail mention above, check with your doctor etc. (Insert usual medical advice disclaimers here!) If you think this might make you too drowsy you can probably leave out the dramamine and still be fine as long as you take the ginger; many people take xanax and do not experience any drowsiness at all but it all depends on the person.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel did a bit on motion sickness remedies. They tested several different things including one prescription drug. They found the wrist bands to be pretty much useless. What they liked the best was ginger pills. They felt they were just as effective as the prescription medication but without side effects.

I don't have a problem with motion sickness. But I most definitely do have a problem with anxiety. I haven't been on a plane since Christmas of '82 and will be flying to Ireland in March. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I have had motion sickness since I was a child. The best thing I've used is the patch. It does dry you out and can make you feel a little dizzy but it really works. I've used it for every trip including sailing in Boston Harbor and riding a bus for a week in Ireland.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
suggestion for adults with anxiety over flying is an anti-anxiety prescription from your doctor such as valium or xanax.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Wow, Phenargen is a strong drug to take for airsickness! You must really have a bad time

If it is due to nerves, take a Xanax or mild tranq to calm you down. Where will you be flying from? Fl , to me, is not a bad trip from the NE or even from the NW..
Try crystallized ginger slices..sweet and they do help a lot with any sort of nausea.
you can eat them the entire flight

Most of the OTC nausea drugs make you very drowsy which will/might interfere with your dealing with two small children..unless you have a companion with you who will help if you are too sleepy ..
Good luck~
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Lorazipam is great for immediate relief of anxiety. If you can get a scrip for it from your doctor go for it.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I may have to go the medication route (or stop in the airport lounge!). But I'd like to try to gain control over it in another way. Think I'll start working on meditation and relaxation exercises. I'm always in the market for quick things like that that work for other people. Breathing exercises, etc.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I take valium when I fly because I'm so claustrophobic. It works great. Not a care in the world!

Talk to your doctor. S/he will totally understand. Mine doesn't bat an eye when I ask for it.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM

I use Dramamine for motion sickness and I find that the drowsiness I get from it helps me feel relaxed. I find both kinds of Dramamine (Dramamine II is the equivalent to Bonine and does not produce drowsiness) equally effective against nausea itself, though.

The other thing I do, on top of the medication, is slow, deep breathing when I feel any anxiety (which is usually due to extreme bumpiness). With this combination I haven't felt actually nauseated in years, and whatever anxiety I feel is entirely manageable. Now if only I could stretch out my legs....
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Dramamine II, Bonine - the same as antivert which is meclizine will make some people drowsy - it is listed as one of the possible side effects and makes me as drowsy as any other motion sickness remedy.

If you are trying some new medication, it is worth the time and effort to try it out some evening at home to see if you will have this or other side effects, especially if you are travelling alone with 2 small kids.

Alcohol is always a cheap and available option.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I am the world's worst for motion sickness. I can't take my eyes off the road in a car for an instant. Anyway, I bought Sea Bands. They are elastic terry bands you wear on your wrist with a button for pressure point. They really work and there are no drugs in them. They are not perfect but at least I can fly in an airplane and not nearly toss my breakfast on the guy in front of me.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Ginger capsules from the health food store settle my stomach if queasy. Definitely do not read during the flight, especially during take off or landing. There was a recent thread here from a Mom whose daughter suffered terribly from motion sickness. If I can find it, I'll post the link. Good luck.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:06 PM

Here you go, isabellasmom, for recommendations on carsickness. Hope this helps.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...t=0&dirtyBit=1
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:02 PM

I have similar issues. Two pieces of advice in addition to the above: NO CAFFEINE and NO CITRUS.

Staying away from these won't "help," but not staying away from them will "hurt."
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My daughter gets motion sickness, but only in the car. She must have a full stomach before we leave on our travels or she may get sick.
For anxiety, I used to be terrified of flying (I always sat next to MOM the white nuckel flyer....thanks family!) Anyway, valium worked great. I don't recommend drinking. The valium just took the edge off and made me feel drowsy. I was fine by the time I landed. I have talked myself out of all of these fears over the years. I decided I like to travel way too much to be afraid of the fastest and sometimes the only way to get there. I kept telling myself, tomorrow this flight will only be a memory and I will be in a wonderful place having a great vacation. It worked for me. I only have some anxieties at take-off still. I just pray a little and think about how we are all going to have a great time on this trip.Once we are up, I am fine. If it is turbulent, I try to remember that the pilot knows what he is doing(total control freak here) and that this is normal and okay! I love the landing because I feel like I am there!! I haven't had the need for anything like valium in about 10years. Just go to the Doc and tell him your fears. They will give a low dose of valium (this is for Caph going to Ireland) Mom of two, only do this if you have someone else to take care of the kids!! You will be sleepy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -