Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lago Mar Resort Ft. Lauderdale, transportation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our first trip to Ft. Lauderdale (2 adults) and will be staying at Lago Mar Resort in July 2006. We will not be renting a car. Does anyone know if there is bus service to the shops/restaurants daily? If not, are taxi's expenisve? Is there a water taxi anywhere close by like Beach Place? Thanks for any help/suggestions about transportion around town from those who have been there.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:02 AM
GoTravel

Ft. Lauderdale is really a driving town and is not a good public transportation city unless everything you want to see is on the water taxi route including your hotel.

If I'm not mistaken, the Lago Mar is a little bit of a walk to the Water Taxi. Can't remember if you have to cross A1A or not but to me that would be a deal breaker.

Heavens or mclaurie can probably give you a little better advice but at least this will bump up your post.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:14 AM

I believe that the closest stop is now Hyatt Pier 66 which does entail crossing 17th St. We have stayed many times at Lago Mar but never without a car. As GoTravel stated, Fort Lauderdale is really a car town as there is great dining but not so much close to Lago Mar. See this site for the Water Taxi route and map. http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp
I walk a lot and the walk to the Hyatt isn't too far, maybe about 1/2 mile or so but personally I would get a car. Taxi's to the closets restaurants may be fairly inexpensive, but to Los Olas or A1A restaurants would add up pretty quickly.
Enjoy Lago Mar, we always do.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replys GoTravel and HarryR! Does anyone know if Lago Mar has a shuttle to or from the airport? Do they have any type transportion they supply for free or for a fee? I would hope a bus would stop at Lago Mar at least once a day but from your replys I'm worried. Any other information anyone can offer about transportation to and from this resort is appreciated.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:12 AM
jd

Robin: Lago Mar does not provide transportation to and from the airport, and there is not a bus or shuttle that will take you anywhere. You will need to take a cab, or rent a car. You could walk along the beach about 1/2 mile or so and catch the water taxi at Bahia Mar or Beach Place.If I were you, I would rent a car. Parking is free at Lago, and you should be able to get a good deal on a car in July. There are lots of great restaurants to go to in FLL.I'm sure you will love Lago Mar.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank You jd! All the help here is truly appreciated. The couple is my son and girlfriend who are age 20. The problem of a car rental is their age as many car rental places either don't rent under age 25 or charge extra for under age. I'm looking into it for them as they do want to stay at Lago Mar. They are both mature, responsible working/college students who have drivers license's but I know from traveling often myself that the young age can be an issue. Lago Mar looks to be a great vacation spot for them and I want to help them as much as possible have a safe and happy time. Once again, thanks for any and all the help and suggestions here!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:09 AM
GoTravel

Have you checked to see if the hotel will let them check in?

At many hotels you must be 21 and in a resort location 25 is the norm.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Wow, age 25? I never heard of that. I guess he can go to Iraq or fight for our country at age 18 but to stay at a resort in Florida at age 20 may be out of the question! Kind of unreal in my opinion. Thanks GoTravel, I will look into it before they make their reservations. But at age 20, I stayed at a resort, not a hotel or motel, in Florida with no questions asked. I'm sure many privately owned resorts have their own rules and many will be different.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Many hotels/motels are wary of groups of college age kids - due to bad experiences on spring break. I would think a resort as expensive as that one would be flexible - if you're a reliable looking young couple that can afford such a place they should be happy to take you - but they should check in advance.

And the hotel still may put a high "hold" on their credit card as a safety measure - so they should have one with either a high or no limit.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM
GoTravel

Robin, I know it sounds strange but it stems from so many kids tearing up hotel rooms during spring break.

This is pretty much industry standard for hotels in tourist destinations.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Totally understandable but this is a couple who could be on their honeymoon for all anyone knows and not a group of teenages there to carry on, a real big difference. He has a Gold American Express card and a Capital One card in his name and understands exactly how they work. I think travleing almost anywhere requires established credit cards for anyone. Anyway, I hope this is not the case as I won't want them to go anywhere they weren't welcome. I'm pretty sure, especially after meeting either one of them, most resorts would welcome this couple!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM
GoTravel

I would call the hotel.

If the age is 21 or 25 and they get asked for ID, they will get turned away.

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to say that my son and friend totally enjoyed their trip to Fort Lauderdale. They spent one night at the Marriott Hollywood Beach and three nights at Lago Mar Resort. Thanks for the help and suggestions on this forum.