Hawks Cay Resort, Duck Key: Trip Report: pros and cons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Returned from Hawks Cay Resort. First 3 dys pleasure, next 2 business conference, which is how we ended up there. We made our own arrangments through the hotel, no special package or discount since we chose not to participate in conference price rooms and upgrade to resort hotel room with view.

Reviews on this and other sites like tripadivsor have been mixed, and we had a bit of pros and cons ourselves. From my experience, I think the satisfaction level depends on the condition of the room you get, the employees who you interact with and what you expect from a place that considers itself a high end resort.

If the two of us were looking for a quiet get away with no kids, I personally would not return here; and if we were looking for a get away with night life and multiple dining options, I think there are other choices on the keys we’ve enjoyed much more - Marquesa, Sunset Key/Hilton, the Key West Wyndhams, or Cheeca Lodge or many other resorts in Florida and on reachable islands - but if my kids were 10/12 and under or it was a mixed family age retreat, and wanted a contained resort, to hang out, relax with the activities they offer, ok but not luxurious, and weren’t looking for easy access to night life and many dining choices, (unless you rent a car for those days) then it might be a good match - if you make sure your room is an updated one and the bed one you can sleep in -

From our experience, here is the good, the bad and the ugly (and a few excellents) and I’ll save my complaint on breakfast seating rules and customer service for the very end. Maybe you will think I am being too picky, but for the price, I don’t expect the things that happened and think the resort needs to update some facilities and give almost half their employees some better customer service training and some reality checks on their attitude.

I hesitated posting this, and I am sure there are many who have enjoyed their stay here immensely - perhaps we just had a mixed experience...here it is.....

Staff:
Inconsistent. From extremely welcoming, knowledgeable and cheery to poor attitude, sullen or in a daze. Mostly young people from all over the world and I’m thinking the staff might rotate frequently. I couldn’t get the slightest resemblance of a smile or welcoming attitude from the young woman at the coffee/pastry bar, who waited on me at least 3x a day, but it was as if her face was carved from stone, by the end of the stay I’d given up. This might sound picky, but being waited on by someone who doesn’t even say hello or thank you and just sullenly hands you your slip was a disappointment.

Meals in Resort:
Dinner two nights on property at Porto Cayo - we enjoyed excellent service, fish and italian style pasta dinners, wine.
Lunch at Cantina: bar and outside/ nachos/burger great, waiters fun and friendly.
Breakfast @ Palm Terrace: buffet excellent, many choices including omelette and waffle station, plenty of egg choices, fruit, cereals hot and cold, pancakes, meats, yogurts. You could eat healthy or chow down a lumberjack breakfast.
We never ate at Waters Edge.
Conference meals were actually quite good and the service during those excellent, as were conference seminar room accomodations excellent.

Meals off site:
Hideaway Cafe - excellent - a bit hard to find tucked behind Rainbow Bend Resort. You’d need to cab it or have car. We thought it a hidden gem. Enjoyed drink at bar, exellent dinner on porch overlooking beach and water - nice wine list and desserts. Note to man in second floor motel room you could see from porch- pull down shades when dressing and making numerous trips out on your deck in shorties to hang your towels and beach things - although I probably wouldn’t have minded as much if he looked like Dr. McDreamy...but no such luck and it was difficult not to notice, as all his lights were on full blast and I couldn’t look up at my husband w/out that backdrop for quite awhile....note: sit in middle of porch.

We lunched one cloudy day off site at the Hurricane, a nothing special looking place among a few stores, and we were the only customers, parts of the ceiling were caving in, and I admit a bit of trepidation upon entering, but they had fabulous sandwiches and the friendliest bartender.

Room:
We reserved a room with a pool/ocean view. Taken to a room over the front entrance looking at driveway & parking area. It was a lovely, clean room w/huge bath, but we wanted ability to sit on terrace and see something more tropical. The bellman called down and within a few moments got the ok to take us to another room, on second floor, overlooking the adult pool and ocean. So if this was available, as we requested, why weren’t we originally taken there?

This room was mediocre at best it needed serious tlc- but we swapped the view for the room accomodations. Carpet very stained, needs new paint, bathroom clean but so tiny and the toilet the smallest I’ve ever seen. Thought quality of sheets poor and bedspread deplorable (that yucky, pilly, stiff, been used too much feel) Terrace cracked and worn, but we had a view. I would think for what the room cost, they’d keep it in better shape.

Hands down the worse mattress we’ve ever slept on- a huge hump in the middle and so soft on either side you sunk and almost rolled off. We did ask after 2 bad nights, if they could maybe flip the mattress and add a board, which they did, but the board was all of 2’ wide and in the middle where the hump was so it really didn’t change anything. Not even comfortable to sit and read or watch tv on, so we avoided it at all costs until we’d actually need to sleep and the chairs in the room weren’t the type to comfortably sit in for any length of time.

During our stay, we overheard 3 others complaining of beds in main resort, and two people in spa looking for villa changes b/c of bad mattresses.

Front Desk:
mediocre to bad to ugly in the day, excellent at night. Kudos to their night manager.

Spa
good, not excellent (nice facial, fango mud wrap and ok pedicure, sauna and steam room broken and had been for a week. Other 1/2 of spa still not rebuilt from recent fire- they say work is slow b/c of waiting for permits and workers. Best part of spa was the waiting room. If spas interest you and you would compare this to say a Canyon Ranch, Doral, Ritz - then you will be disappointed.

I made a few spa appts weeks before our arrival. I had to call 2 times leaving message and it took longer than I thought it should for a call back during what I wouldn’t think was their high time. (2 dys) and wanted to just confirm when I arrived but after 3 tries of them not answering spa phone, had front desk do it for me. Spa receptionist tells me she sends over a confirmation card that should be given to each guest when they arrive, and she doesn’t know why but can’t seem to get the front desk to follow through so she is frustrated she even bothers filling them out and bringing them to front desk.

Walking
I enjoyed good morning walks here - I could walk on even ground for an hour weaving in and out of the resort and resident section of Duck Key,-sad to see so much of the vegetation browned from the salt water damage - which I realize is not their fault, I just felt badly that there is still so much work to be done in this area of Duck Key adjacent to resort.

The views in general around hotel, lagoon, out to the ocean and bridge, were picture perfect.

Fitness Center
which I ordinarily wouldn’t use in warm sunny weather, during the cold cloudy mornings I might have, but it was very tiny, smaller than our room, 2 treadmills, 1 bike,1 machine, and anytime I checked the building all were full.

Adult Pool
lovely setting overlooking the water, maybe more consistent wait service when busier, we usually had to walk to bar, thru gate, past kiddie pool and get our own, - admit we were looking for more pampering. One time we ordered lunch and drink poolside it took forever.
Personally, we don’t like the plastic frame lounge chairs where no matter what angle you sit at if you sit up so the pressure isn’t on the back, it flips back up -annoying every time you reach for your drink/book/etc - we watched every adult at the pool (which ranged from 5-12 people max each day) struggle with them and sometimes try others to see if theirs was just broken.

I realize they are still cleaning up from storm damage, so it was just unfortunate for us timiing wise that during the day, construction tools whirring as they were fixing some major roof leaks on building that abutted adult pool, so for quiet you had to sit further away from pool closer to ocean where, unfortunately, one day b/c of weather and wind, it wasn’t as warm.

Family Pool Area:
Those w/ families seemed to be enjoying the family pool, lagoon area surrounded with about 4-5’ of sand, chickie huts, and swing/play area.

We were w/out kids, but the kids there seemed to be enjoying amazing kid activities all day long- playing in lagoon, walking around w/ their hair braided, tie dye shirts made in classes, etc, or going to and from the kids club which is just a short walk from main resort w/ pirate ship, pool, day and night events. Also spa rates for teens and lots of opportunity for fishing, snorkeling, water sports. Dolphins on property in outdoor lagoon with viewing deck to watch them during feedings, etc and the program, for a price, offers chance to go on docks and help at feeding time or short in water experience.

nside Lobby/stores area:
Great library type room for sitting, reading, people working on laptops, etc. Aside from things at Kids Club, a med size arcade room for kids or teens, and the coffee/pastry shop, usual sundries and clothing store.

Had the weather been perfect every day we would have stayed and relaxed reading poolside and just having the sun on our faces rather than doing anything off site, but we had 2 cloudy cool days soi last minute rented a car- extremely easy drop off by and pick up on site from rental co. in nearby Marathon.

Pigeon Key artisan show: excellent: you were transported to this tiny 5 acre island by shuttle since the remaining section of access bridge can only hold one vehicle at a time and you can no longer access by ferry since the hurricane took out the dock, but they are rebuilding it. It was very windy out there, but we enjoyed the artisans, funnel cakes, glass of wine, and some great artichoke dishes from one of the vendors.

Dolphin program
I did particiipate in trainer for a day program for 4 hrs at the on site dolpin connection and really enjoyed that: a good mix of clasroom time learning about dolphins, preparing their fish (from freezer to coolers, to feeding to rinsing coolers and prepping: all the lugging and grunge work necessary)- and watching them do the morning health checks, some more classroom time and seeing the trainers do their health/research chart work, how to identify their individual markings, etc - to some time in a wet suit in the water w/ them as they check dolphins and you get to touch/hug them if they feel like it - if they didn’t, there was no issue - if the dolphins felt like coming up to you fine, if not, fine they never push the dolphins to do what they don’t do on their own.

If you wanted days of pool, water sports, fishing, tennis, bikes are available, and could be happy with just the resort dining options it would be fine w/out a car. I would get antsy eating only there for a week, but you could also cab to restaurants; but if you had iffy weather days, esp. with kids, I’d have wanted a car just to get off property and explore.

If I had younger kids, and could be guaranteed a better room and mattress, I would personally be more apt to recommend this for families. While we were there, many more families than adult couples, and it wasn’t vacation week.

RULES...time to vent...
The rules are the rules...and they are set in stone...some seemed ridiculous to us. It wasn’t the rule as much as the attitude.

IE: Included in our stay was buffet breakfast, we were given small, say 6 x 6 sturdy paper cards, one for each day we would be there, with the end date of our stay date (fill in the blank with date) and breakfast for (fill in the blank) “2” written on them. Our third morning, when hostess went to seat us, we realized we’d left card in our room; I said I’d be right back and went to retrieve. On return, found hubby standing outside. They refused to let him sit while he waited for me- reason being if he wanted to order anything from waitress (who only brings you coffee, tea or juice) she wouldn’t know how he was paying and needs to know that first. He said he just wanted to sit and start looking at his newspaper, and wouldn’t order until I came back down. Didn’t matter. And the place was maybe 1/4 full with waiters standing around with nothing to do. What would have been the harm?

Another morning: I was up early, hungry and wanted to eat and go for my walk. Asked hostess if I could do that, and she could cross off “2” next to breakfast” and write “1” in its place so I could leave it back in room for husband and he could eat later.

She said yes, no problem, took my card, stapled it to order pad and handed it to me to give to waiter when I was seated - I asked her if then I’d be getting it back to give to hubby and she said no. (Ok, what part of my questions didn’t she understand?) So I repeated it and this time she said no, they can’t alter it from 2 to 1. Once the card is used, even by one, they can’t accomodate another. I’m sorry if this makes me sound picky but it seemed silly to me - there must be a way they can figure this out -during your entire stay you use a card to ‘charge’ everything to your room including meals, newspapers, drinks, etc. - so why can’t they put into the system just 1 person ate, or 2 or 3 and track iti that way thru the computer system already in place - or instead, hole punch the cards, or just cross out the 2 and replace with 1 and hostess initial it? ....what happens if one is going out early fishing,for a water sport, to spa and other is somewhere else?..then you’re just out of luck that you paid for 2 breakfasts but now have to pay again b/c you didn’t eat at same time? ...So now if hubby wakes while I am gone for my walk, he doesn’t get breakfast we pre paid for......

So I ask if perhaps I should ask the front desk, explain sistuation, and ask if there is anyting they can do to help. Hostess says “you can but they won’t do anything. these are the rules.”

So I go to front desk to ask anyway b/c now I am curious and frustrated.
Young woman tells me no, they can’t accomodate us if we want to eat separately, the “card clearly says it is for 2 and you have to eat together.”

I ask if she can please just replace this card with two cards, each saying breakfast for 1.
I will use one and my husband the other. Her reply: “absolutely not.”
(and here’s the line that killed me....) “It isn’t our problem because you don’t want to eat together.”

Ok, I’ve been in a customer oriented business for years, we don’t talk like this to our customers. We find a way to make something work if we possibly can because we are out to please our customers. I understand there are rules to follow, as there is in our business, but there are always gray areas and accomodations and I can’t believe I can’t eat separately from my husband which seems like something that should be a non-issue.

So I ask her if she is the day manager. No, she isn’t, she’s the front desk manager. I say I would like to just discuss this with the manager. She says “It won’t make a difference.. that is the rule. This is the way it works. If he wants to eat separately today, we can’t help you.”

This is when the bad person in my head is saying “I want to speak with the person who signs your checks” but the good person in my head takes over and says, nicely, “could I please or would you please appease me and ask your manager on duty about this.”

She disappears and returns in 30 seconds with two new cards that each say 1 breakfast.
I just think it should have been easier than this and without the attitude, and preferably her initial response being “let me see what I can do.”

Ok, now anyone who wants can blast me for being too picky.....

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Hi,
Im sorry to hear that. I want to take hubby on a weekend getaway and seen in travelzoo specials for both hawks cay and cheeca lodge. Doing a search I found alot of criticism regarding hawks cay, which of course, makes me want to book cheeca lodge. Since we both work hard, with limited vacation time, I would be very offended to have to waste time away from relaxation to deal with the issues you had to deal with. I doubt I would have been as gracious as you had been.
Susan
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Very thorough and candid report, Escargot. Thank you for posting.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

suanniammsncom: we've been to Cheeca a few times, I'd go there again in a heart beat. i think they are far more accomodating and it is a better kept resort.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:28 PM

I think you were being reasonable, not picky. I think I would've felt exactly as you do! Sorry the stay wasn't perfect!!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:04 PM

A great report. Thanks for taking the time--you've given a great snapshot. We stayed there 15 years ago, and it was a far different (better) place then.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:29 AM

<Her reply: “absolutely not.”
(and here’s the line that killed me....) “It isn’t our problem because you don’t want to eat together.”>
OMG!! I've been in the tourist/customer service business and I would have counseled (or fired) an employee who said that to a customer. There's just no excuse for rudeness to a customer.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:47 AM
cd

escargot
I don't think you're picky at all. Thanks for writing.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:53 AM

You remind me of myself. I despise bad service especially when one is paying top dollar. Thanks for your report I would want to know this information before I made a decision to stay there!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:08 AM
GoTravel

Wow! What crappy service from the restaurant.

I'm not a fan at all of Hawks Cay and don't really recommend the place unless to families but I will say this: many of their accommodations are privately owned and the owner is in charge of the interiors and keeping up the interior.

If I'm staying at a property that has privately owned accommodations, I find out their internal ratings system (such as A+ - F) and make reservations note on my reservation that I want an A+ accommodation and not to put me in anything below a B.

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:46 AM

After the overall experience you had how can you in good faith even recommend this joint for anyone? To me it sounds like it should be avoided at all costs, expecially considering the many good hotels all along the Keys.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:12 AM
ltt

thanks for taking the time to post...so helpful to get current opinions.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

GoTravel thanks for the info about internal rating systems, I didn't know that - and although we weren't at one of the villas, it is good info for another trip - and likely those women I heard complaining about their mattresses in villas were in a lower rated one....

Curt: re: recommending it to anyone - as GoTravel also mentioned, she sometimes recommends to families - I think it is all relative - what bothers some doesn't bother others - I did have an unusually mixed experience - I didn't want to totally slam it, b/c there were some good things, and if you look here or on trip adivsor (as I did before we went out of curiousity b/c I didn't choose the location of the conference) - there were really mixed reviews - one would love it and couldn't wait to go back and others despised it -

but when I was there, there were many families walking around looking very happy and one I overheard saying it was their third year b/c her husband loves the fishing so much there....maybe they don't mind soft beds, maybe they don't pay for rooms w/ views and don't care if they're soso b/c some peoples attitude is 'I'm never in my room" - maybe they're so happy to be in a place that offers so much for kids and they get some adult time alone they don't care about other things, maybe they got some great rate or won it so they aren't as aggravated as I was, I don't know. I just wanted to share my experience as well as try to shed some light on why it might work for some and not others, in my opinion - and then leave it to a traveler to decide if the same things that matter to me matter to them. Or at least let them know to request an excellent mattress & updated room -
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM
GoTravel

You are welcome escargot.

You'll mainly find privately owned hotel/resort accommodations in resort communities.

Sometimes they are referred to as Condotels.

Usually if a hotel has mostly studios, one bed, two bed, three bed accommodations, the accommodations will be privately owned and the hotel will be the property management company.

All of the big chains are getting into this.

The Trump Sonesta Beach Resort in Sunny Isles (North Miami Beach) Florida is a perfect example of this.

You will find all hotel amenities; daily maid service, bellman, front desk, room service, etc, included.

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

GoTravel; as far as finding out this internal rating - is this something anyone can ask for and get - or will they just be more attentive even thinking I know about it - or is it something I have to ask a travel agent to find out ? -
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM

great, thorough report. thanks.
I've been to Hawks Cay once, and have had some friends who have been there a few other times. Nothing you've said sounds extraordinaily different than my experiences.

Your report is why I, and others, keep coming back to Fodors.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM
GoTravel

Ask whomever you are speaking to on the phone (reservations) if the hotel has a rating system in place to rate the individual accommodations.

They will let you know.

Either that or ask for the homeowners department.

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM

thanks for your view on this hotel. we have chosen it to stay for 5 nights in april after 2 weeks in orlando. there have been bad reports on it but as we have 2 young children it seems the only hotel we could find that had tons for them to do in the keys. my sister is a travel agent in the uk and she says if virgin holidays are still putting it in there brochure it cant be that bad. i will go with an open mind about it but all we really want to do is chill out and see the kids have fun so fingers crossed !!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

cooperfamily: for you it might work out just fine.
I would however, consider you or your sister talking to them about the bed situation first, - maybe just knowing you are aware of it and don't want it to be an issue during your stay might get you better mattresses (if sleeping is important to you, and a comforable mattress matters b/c my husband and I came home exhausted )or a refurbished room.

If you are not looking for great food, and lots for the kids, you might be very happy. look on their web pages, there are a lot of activities for kids they can do with you or without you - and if you are not going to have a car (or even if you are) I would suggest you stop at one of the stores along the way down (or if you are taking private transport, ask him to stop) and buy some waters, juices, snacks etc for the refridge in your room, as these are costly resort prices in the small sundry shop.

It's easy to spend a lot of money there - they will give you plastic charge cards to use for everything and they will take cash, but they often had to run for change or made a face - they far prefer the 'room charging card' route and lots of drinks/snacks by the pool will hike your bill up fast.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:49 PM

escargot thanks for your advice. i may email virgin holidays and see what they say.but at the end of the day we did book this resort as there is lots for children to do and there are no other hotels offering this in the keys that we can book in the uk.most comments and reviews on here say it is a good resort for children so i do hope we will not be dissapointed but i am not going to get that worried about it.every one has a right to their own opinion about what they class as suitable or not. i ahve read that it is expensive to buy food there and the meals arent up to much so we had planned to stop on the way and buy some snacks and eat out at othere resorts. thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -