Bodies in Motion: The Exhibition

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in NYC this past weekend and really really REALLY wanted to head down to Seaport for this, but much to my dismay we did not have the time.

I was wondering if anyone knew:
a) how long it will be in NYC
b) if it has any plans to come to Boston

Many thanks in advance!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:31 PM

There are at least two tours of this. It first hit the US in Tampa at our Museum of Science and Industry, which has now extended the stay into the summer. The tour in NY is the same but with different bodies, of course. I've heard NY is already discussing extending the exhibit, it is so popular. But, as I said, there are more bodies where those came from so don't be surprised to see it coming to a museum near your home town.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:51 PM

It is in NYC until May 19, unless they extend it.
It was remarkable, in my opinion, - we saw it in January - I think it is worth seeing.
You can get tickets ahead of time, and the only advice I have is not to get the last ticket time, as they close an hour after (or did when my daughter went) and she was disappointed and felt she had to rush through the last part.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:52 PM

oops, hit it too early. I don't have the exact web page handy, but if you google the bodies exhibition you will find the web page. As of now, no plans to come to Boston.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

2 people have told me there are plans for it to come to Beantown, yayy!

Now I just have to remind myself to keep checking for more info. I can't seem to find any!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:06 AM

Bostongal, I would love to know if it is coming to Bosotn, b/c there are several friends I would love to see it that won't have etime to go to NYC and live here near me.....I called the Bodies Exhibition main line in Atlanta, and all they coudl tell me was that right now there are no plans to bring it to Boston, but they are in negotiations with other possible cities but won't post anything until all is confirmed when they would release a press release and post it on their website...so to just keep checking -
their site is:
www.bodiestheexhibition.com
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:09 AM

We just visited in Philadelphia...
It was discuisting!!!
I will recommend to a medical field people only.
It almost smelled like dead...if you have something better to do - please, do that.
And I missed Wicked for THAT!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:21 AM
cd

BostonGal and Escargot
Another exhibit of the same is: Body Worlds, Anatomical Exhibition of Real Human Bodies. We saw it this summer in Cleveland and I do recommend it! Very educational.

It is in Boston Museum of Science July 29, 2006 til Jan 7, 2007

Also, in St Paul May5-Sept4, 2006
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:52 PM

ZIana, yes - people ahve to know what they will be seeing - I saw it in NYC in January and loved it, so did some of the medical and non-medical people with us - surprisingly, my daughter who lives in nyc went and she is the most squeamish person I know and she loved it - but I have known people who, like you, did not enjoy at all - I suggest people take a look at the web and decide

CD I didn't know about that exhibit here in Boston which sounds similar, I will tell my friends and maybe they can hit that one and keep hoping the other Bodiees come to Boston too - thank you
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:08 PM
cd

Escargot
It is the same but with different roots, so to speak, I believe the one you saw is Asian and the Body Worlds is German. Both is the product of plastination. Checkout: http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:28 PM

A similar exhibit was very controversial in San Francisco last year. Partly because the bodies leaked, and partly because they were Asian bodies taken under false pretenses, from what I understood. Here is some further information:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NG9UCVOCJ1.DTL

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:42 PM

Just saw the one in Tampa last week. I thought it was very very interesting, however it is hmmm "raw" so to speak. The pics on the web sites pretty much give you a good idea of what you will see.

However, it is the truth--I mean these are our bodies "raw" it is who we are. so to say it is disgusting is to say we are disgusting
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:57 PM

My daughter and I went to the NYC one last Saturday. Found it one of the most fascinating exhibits I've ever seen.

Just this morning I called my other daughter (in Boston)and offered to pay for her to go to NYC and see it, as she is thinking of going into medicine.

From the advetisments, I had expected a somewhat artsy display of preserved bodies. It is really more of a museum type display of whole bodies, and then lots of well labelled smaller sections. It is set out by systems- the bones, the nerves, the muscles, the circulatory, digestive, etc. No smells, nothing gross, just human bodies and body parts in a way you'll never see in textbooks.

If you go in NYC, don't forget to ask for your free $4 metco card as you pay. They don't advertise, but will give it to you if asked. Same with NYC school card discounts ($5).

I'd be curious to hear from any one who can compare the two different exhibits?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

CD - I wonder if the people I've spoken to misunderstood and it's really Body Worlds they were thinking of?
Thanks for sending the link, I'm adding it to my calendar!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Siesta...we ARE disquisting...with all bodily functions and hair and stuff, this is why we wear clothes. Silly you!
I am still wondering how many people went vegetarians after this show. I am still thinking...fish does look better...
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM

The Bodyworks exhibition is also in Denver right now. We just saw it two weeks ago. I found it fairly interesting, but my kids (elementary age) were both grossed out and did not want to stay very long. The tickets were quite expensive, so I wouldn't really recommend it for young kids. I thought my kids would be fascinated because they love science/nature, but not this. We all enjoyed the rest of the Museum of Nature and Science much more.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM

I saw this when it was in Tampa recently...WOW...amazing and very educational...the circulatory room is really well done...anyone else able to see it recently ?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM

You will NOT believe what I've read yesterday.
All these bodies where bought in China concentration camps for $3M and 85% goes back to China.
There was an article about 120 000 people in concentration camps that are cut up for organs sale around the world and UN asked about where those organs coming from so those camps are getting re-located and even more hidden.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
cd

Regarding the above:

Gunther von Hagens’ BODY WORLDS declares categorically that it has never used unclaimed or found bodies, or bodies of executed Chinese prisoners, in its anatomical exhibitions of real human bodies. After, DER SPIEGEL, a German publication reported the use of executed Chinese bodies in the BODY WORLDS exhibition, an interim injunction was taken against the SPIEGEL ONLINE GmbH. In accordance with Germany’s laws, the SPIEGEL ONLINE GmbH is now restricted from claiming, among other things, either literally or by implication, that “Gunther von Hagens is exhibiting the corpses of executed Chinese in the BODY WORLDS exhibition.”
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:46 AM

If this is the truth I am glad. Where did you find it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -