Good Stuff to Do around Palos Verdes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive early at LAX on 5/26 for a wedding in Palos Verdes on 5/27 (ceremony in the AM and reception in the PM) with a family GTG the morning of the 28th. Leave for San Fran 5/29 in the late afternoon. Staying at the Torrance Marriot. We'd love to explore the area during our free time (never been there before). Any suggestions would be appreciated (we're not hikers). Thank you.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Sounds like the wedding will be at the La Venta Inn or Wayfarer Chapel in PV. You should have beautiful views.
The Torrance Marriott web site would have all the information on how to get to Disneyland, Museums, Long Beach Aquarium, etc. from the hotel if you are interested in that. If you are looking for something near by, drive west to Manhattan Beach to the Pier area on MB Blvd. Great for ocean sunset view, many restaurants, window shopping, walk out on the pier.
Don't worry about hiking, Torrance is one huge bedroom community. The Marriott is next to the Del Amo Mall, which is the 2nd largest in America.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:20 AM
lvk

The wedding could also be at Trump National golf club.

Since that is Memorial Day Weekend, the Hermosa Beach Arts festival is also a possibility:

www.fiestahermosa.com/

Is your intention to explore the sites of greater Los Angeles, or to stay close to the South Bay? With that short amount of time, I would advise the latter. You say you are not hikers, but would a leisurely bicycle ride be an option?

If so, my suggestion would be to drive to King Harbor in Redondo Beach, rent a bicycle from Marina Rentals www.marinabike.com at the corner of Harbor Drive and Portofino Way. You could then ride north on the Strand. Stop and browse the Art Festival in Hermosa. Then continue up the coast as far as your legs will take you, including a stop in Manhattan Beach, as MBNancy suggested. You could either do this after your family get-together on Sunday, or on Monday morning.

Let us know if you need any dining recommendations.

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Actually, the ceremony & reception is in a synagogue in Rancho Palos Verdes. Just had foot surgery so biking is out. A family member mentioned the South Coast Botanical Gardens and Redondo Beach Pier (casual, scenic non-italian restaurant suggestions)? And, how far would we be from greater LA and do you think it be worth it to make the trip?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks....
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:15 AM
lvk

Greater L.A. is a very large place. What would you be interested in seeing? Hollywood? Beverly Hills? Getty Museum? Other Museums? Malibu? Pasadena? Theme Parks?

Long Beach would be about a 30-minute drive from the Torrance Marriott. There you could see the Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village.

Keep in mind that this is a holiday weekend and most attractions will be crowded.

I suggest a drive around the perimeter of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Stops could include the Wayfarer's Chapel, a glass church designed by Lloyd Wright (son of Frank). The gardens there are also very nice. www.wayfarerschapel.org. Another stop could be the Point Vicente Lighthouse
www.palosverdes.com/pvlight/
There are also lookout points along the route.

The South Coast Botanical Gardens are also very nice, but require a bit of walking. The Redondo Beach pier is okay. Most restaurants here in the South Bay are very casual. There is a previous thread about Redondo Beach scenic restaurants. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:25 AM
lvk

Here it is:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34510212

Though not scenic, there are also many restaurants close to the Torrance Marriott. Lucille's Barbecue Restaurant is in Del Amo Mall complex. Across Hawthorne Blvd., there is a "Restaurant Row". Benihana, El Torito Grill, Elephant Bar, Soupplantation, Red Lobster, Baja Fresh.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:32 AM
lvk

Me again! I just found this website which describes the PV scenic drive better than I ever could (and I live here!).

http://www.tedsimages.com/text/pvpenin.htm
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I nominate Ivk as the good will ambassador of the South Bay! Lots of great information she gave.

I don't care much for the Redondo Pier, especially on a holiday weekend, it will be a zoo. However, one of our all time favorites is Old Tony's Restaurant there, and having their famous Mai Tai's.

The best suggestion locally, with your short time, is to drive around Palos Verdes Peninsula. We like to take visitors on that drive, with the beautiful views of the ocean along the way.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

IVB and MBnancy - thank you for your wonderful and informative responses. My friends live in Rancho Palos Verdes and they never told me how beautiful it was. We will drive around PV Peninsula and try to have a Mai Tai at Old Tony's. Hopefully they'll be as good as our local favorite..Mojitos. Thanks again, it was so appreciated.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:25 AM
lvk

sparkerlaw,
Maybe your friend is trying to keep this little corner of the world a secret so it doesn't become overrun with tourists . I hope you have a great trip.

MBNancy, Thanks! How much does that job pay? $-) Seriously, it's just refreshing to have someone come to L.A. and not ask about Anaheim-Universal- Hollywood - Santa Monica.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Riviera Village in South Redondo is also nice...small shops, restaurants, a few blocks from the beach. I would definitely stay away from the Redondo Pier that weekend. It's a bit seedy anyway (compared to the rest of the area), parking will be tight, and the place will be mobbed. Parking will also be very difficult near the HB Arts Festival, but it's fun and right at the beach. I personally, after 20 years here, still like to drive around Palos Verdes and gawk at the houses & views.