Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Airplane Question- Anywhere to hang wedding dress?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all...I am getting married next month in NJ (I live in NC) and am flying. Does anyone know if an airline will allow me to carry-on my dress, or have somewhere to hang it in the cabin? I plan to call the airline next, but figured I'd try here first. Thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:27 AM

YES!!! The flight attendants will definitely find a place on the plane to stash the dress. There's usually room in the first class closet for it.

DO NOT CHECK YOUR WEDDING DRESS! There was a memorable episode of "Airline" where a lady's wedding dress got ruined by the baggage handling systems. (She only had it in the white garment bag, which admittedly wasn't enough protection.)
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:31 AM
GoTravel

Yes, the FAs will help you out but definitely call the airline.

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:32 AM

I can't believe someone would actually check their dress just in the garment bag. Might as well put a note on it that says, "Please trample and ruin, thank you."
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:36 AM

I think this depends on the lenth of the dress. If you have a long dress with any kind of train, I would not count on there being room for it to hang properly on the plane. My sister got married in Hawaii and sent her dress there via FedEx from NYC..with good results. If you go this route, you can have the store pack if for you with loads of tissue paper.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:46 AM

I think I'd check MYSELF before I'd check my wedding dress.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:53 AM

I would check to see how the bridal shop packs it. I live in the midwest and got married in CA and had my dress shipped fed ex. It was a fairly slinky, streamlined, simple dress with no train and no head piece and it still was packed in an enormous box. Huge. There is NO way, it would have fit on the plane.

Also, the closets up in first class do get full with up front passengers jackets and roll on bags and they are rather short. If your dress does get a spot there it will be crushed amongst the other stuff and crumpled on the bottom. Might be safer to ship.

Good luck
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Hi:

I would ship it well ahead of time so that you know it got there. I have friends who have shipped dresses to Hawaii and one to the dominican Republic without a problem, so I second the FedEx route. Think of how much less of a hassle your trip out will be.
Kristen
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Neopolitan

Maybe it's just where I fly, but I'm not sure I can remember a flight in recent history when there wasn't at least one passenger boarding with a wedding dress for the attendants to handle. They seem to do it with great care and a smile (at least on American). I've often wondered how I always manage to book the "wedding flight".

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it a multi-class plane? Not all flights have a first class (or business class) cabin. So it isn't guaranteed there would be a place to hang it in the cabin. I would ship the dress ahead of time.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM

In 2002 I traveled with my wedding dress in a garment bag from Syracuse NY to Bermuda via Philly on USAirways. I called ahead to inquire about space and using the closets and did not get much reassurance on the phone. They explained the closets are for first class passengers and if they were full I would be out of luck. Well I wasn't checking it or shipping it. The dress was going with me! I decided I was not going to worry because people must do this often enough. ( If necessary I would have just folded it in half and laid it on top of our luggage in the overhead bin or 3 times and sat it on the floor in front of me. Our flight from Syracuse to Philly was in a fairly small plan. When I got on board the flight attendant knew what I had and laid it out on an empty seat where I could keep my eye on it. The fight from Philly to Bermuda was a good size plane and they had closets up front that I was able to use. However the empty seat made me feel more comfortable because I could keep my eye on it and I knew it wasn't getting tossled with other people's things in the closet. Long story short. It traveled all the way there in tact and my worries were gone once I got to Bermuda. This was my biggest concern so I completely understand your fears. My advice is call ahead but don't worry. Just take it with you! Remember that it will probably count as a carry on or your personal item.
Hope this helps.
Annika
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM

I'm also in the camp of traveling with it as carry on luggage rather than shipping it. There is always that ever so slight chance it can get lost in shipping.

I traveled with a vow renewal gown from the Caribbean to Italy and carried it on with no problems. I had mine in a garment bag and folded it in half on top of our luggage in the overhead bin on each flight.

My wedding coordinator took it to a reliable laundrette in Venice in order to give it a final pressing before our ceremony and everything turned out fine.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! I think I will try and carry it on, and hopefully we can find a place for it. Thanks again!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Not that I've worn a wedding dress, but I recommend sending it UPS to whomever relative you have in New Jersey.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM

kjenn, I have a nightmare story about my own wedding dress on a plane but I will spare you the details. Let's just say it did not go well. It really depends on the crew you have on your plane. Some are accomodating while others are just nasty. Mind you, when I flew with mine I did everything you are supposed to do--I called the airline, had the txt agent make a note about the dress when I bought my ticket, etc. etc. All this was thrown out the window when I got there b/c I had a mean flight attendant that thought I was being difficult. On the other hand, if you fly United and my cousin is your pilot she will let you hang your dress in the cockpit...but only if you let her see it first. She heard my story and was appalled. Anyway, mail it if you can--much easier. Good luck!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:08 AM

I'm with erdockac, I'd have it professionally packed and shipped well in advance of the wedding. If it is a full flight on a crazy day, you'll never know what kind of mood the FA's will be in. Just remember, when they find a place for a special garment, it is a favor and not an obligation on their part.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:14 AM

.... or you could pull an Elaine Robinson and just wear the wedding dress onto the plane.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:11 PM

I would not count on carrying it on the plane and have room to hang it. Instead I would ship overnight with Fedex or UPS after it is professionaly packed by the dress company or a professional cleaners. They take lots of space and you do want it to arrive safe and sound. Good luck!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Got Married in Las Vegas 20 years ago, and Yes, it's still going strong. But I was advised by the Dress Maker DO NOT CHECK YOUR DRESS EVER. I carried it on the Plane and the Flight Attendent put it way in a closet up front. Back then they thought it was so cute I was carrying my Dress with Me. Many of the Flight crew and passengers kept cheering for Us and trying to buy us drinks,,,Anyway, carry Your Dress with You and Have a Great Married Life..
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Just wondering though...How do you get a wedding dress through the xray machine without major wrinkling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -