California Here We Come.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it might be a good idea and a good time, to show the Yankee - California.
Here is man who has travelled and lived all over the world, but has not been to California. So I am gonna take care of that.
First question..
We will drive down from Portland.
I guess we will stop in Ashland..or not?
The Redwoods will be a must, San Francisco, and perhaps I will show him my old house in the Hollywood Hills
If you were doing this, tell me how you would go about it, what route, which towns.
I thank you very much, it should be great fun and you can be as bossy as you wish, I will do what I am told
yes, I am doing lots of research, I mostly want to hear how others would go about it, which might be different from what I am thinking..thanks~
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Neopolitan

If you're stopping in Ashland, beware that during the Festival (which is most of the year) hotel rooms are at a premium -- except on Sunday or Monday nights. I'd suggest you leave on Sunday or Monday and go to Ashland then -- unless you want to see a show.

Then you'll need to slightly backtrack to go up and around Grant's Pass to the redwoods near the California/Oregon border. Unless you want to head down I-5 and go into San Francisco and see the redwoods at Muir Woods instead. It is a long drive down the coast on 101 from Oregon, but then it's infinitely prettier than I-5.

But how much time are you talking about?
This really is the main question.

Do you want to include San Francisco? I'd really do the coast from there to LA, through Big Sur, stop in Carmel.

Old May 9th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Are you planning to visit Ashland in the summer so you can attend the Shakespeare Festival? I have fond memories of doing that as a child.

I'd definitely drive down the coast...the family is calling me to play a game so I'll have to think and respond more later!

Lee Ann
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - Scarlett you have left out two important details:

When??

and

How long do you have??
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Ah , answers right away, thank you!
Yes, when would be when we have our plans in order, we are on no schedule, so it would be whenever we are ready.
Yes, from Portland to LA...I want to go on as much coastline as we can. I want to scare him to death on that stretch where he looks out the window and dooooown to the ocean below ( evil laugh).
We might have 2 weeks, maybe more. (anyone want to pup sit?)
No Shakespeare Festival ( I don't think) at the moment I am thinking we will not tie ourselves down to being there at a certain time..summer travel might make this more difficult with hotels etc, but we will see how the plan goes
Thank you very much...
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Scarlett, I say drive down the coast & back up 101 & 5.
http://www.winchesterinn.com

These folks are very gracious hosts, just to name one place.
There are lots of hidden spots around the Rogue Valley, and lots to do besides the Bard. I'll get my links together. You need to see your newly adopted state.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM
trippinkpj

The I-5 to the 199, out of Grants Pass gets you to 101, near Crescent City I think. Then you have lots are redwood area to choose from. Oregon Caves in a neat place to stop on 199.

Old May 9th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Just skip Ashland. Go over to the coast from Grants Pass and 101 will take you through the redwoods.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Last year when we went to CA to visit family, we were tired of I-5, so the scenic route was really nice. The Redwoods are so amazing, so definitely hit the Avenue of the Giants, and do the touristy thing of the drive-thru tree at Chandelier. Yes, the tree looks like an upside down chandelier, lol! In very northern CA, the drive along the Smith River is very pretty.

As you know, he will love San Francisco.

Depending on how far down you want to go, the Hotel Del Coronado is great and we have always had very nice stays there. Plus you can see the jets coming/going from the airbase right there.

Old May 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Oh this is so great! Thank you all.
OK, got the maps out, Grants Pass, skip Ashland, Oregon Caves sounds good!
Yes, mms, he will love SF and I remember your description of the Redwood trees. It will be great!
(I will be using the word great quite a bit, sorry)

And yes, the jets lol...
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Portland to Mt. Hood, from there there is a paved narrow National Forest road going south. Stop by Crater Lake. From Ashland, either go back to Grants Pass to take US 199 to the coast or go south and take CA 96 to Eureka. From Eureka you might want to go to Ferndale and on to Petrolia (a very narrow, twisting road that is not advised in rainy season) to Honeydew and South fork which is back on hwy 101. The take the Ave. of the Giants. At Leggett you might want to take hwy 1 to Ft. Bragg and Mendocino. Take hwy 128 back to 101, going through the Anderson Valley (do some wine tasting).
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Check out the Benbow Inn in Garberville. Great base for the Avenue of the Giants, Ferndale, Shelter Cove, etc. It is an historic "Olde English" inn w/ a great pub and gorgeous gardens sloping down to the river, super service and beautiful rooms.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Hi Scarlett,
There is a great, vertigo inducing stretch on 1 going south from Sea Ranch maybe 10 or so miles before you get to Jenner where you are hugging the coast that the Yankee might find fun.
-Bill

Old May 9th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Hi, Scarlett! aka

If you are going to be driving down to Hollywood, you are going to be driving back home to Portland - no?

I'd suggest driving along the coast DOWN all the way from Portland, then take the inland route all the way back up. On the return route, from LA you might swing over to the other side of the state and go through Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite; then swing into I-5 for a quick drive up to Oregon, detour to Crater Lake, and then home.

The Oregon coast is quite spectacular - Cape Perpetua, the Devil's Churn area is not to be missed. Stay at the rustic Seevue Motel right on Highway 101 (absolutely book the Crow's Nest room!). Bandon further south is also quite unique.

When you get down to California, Highway 101 will take you to Humboldt Redwoods State Park where the Avenue of the Giants is located. There are no hotels in the park itself, except for a youth hostel, you will have to find lodging either north or south of the park. You will want to overnight nearby because you'll want to get out and walk around a bit, breathe in that wonderful woody smell of a redwood forest, and marvel at the giant trees.

Highway 101 then carries you back towards the coast. At Leggett, keep heading towards the coast on Highway 1 - to places like Mendocino (where Murder She Wrote was filmed), Gualala (where gualalalisa lives), Fort Ross (don't miss this fort originally buit by the Russians), and Jenner. At Jenner, you may want to turn inland again and head for the wine country, Sonoma and Napa counties.

From there into San Francisco.

Then southbound again on Highway 1 to Monterey/Carmel, through Big Sur - this part of the coast has been discussed many, many times. Stop off at Point Lobos, Pfeiffer Big Sur, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (with the only falls to tumble into the Pacific Ocean - easy 10 minute hike). Stop for lunch at Nepenthe or any one of the other recommended places. Then down to Cambria to overnight if you want to see Hearst Castle.

From Cambria, Highway 1 gets to be easier to drive and you'll soon rejoin Highway 101. Near Lompoc, see the mission La Purisma if you haven't visited a California mission already.

Then Santa Baba and LA. Getty Center a must. Another wonderful museum is the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena.

San Diego is growing up, you may want to drive down and stay at the Marriott right on the shore downtown.

As mentioned, on the way back, you can take the eastern route through the parks and see the "other" redwoods. There are two kinds of redwoods, the coastal variety and the inland variety. I liken them to Laurel and Hardy, the coastal ones are tall and thin, the inland ones are shorter and much bigger around - if you've see picts of the General Grant tree, it's an inland variety.

Going through the parks is a much better drive than heading up north on I-5 or Highway 99, so if you have the time, swing eastward.

When may we expect you, charming Scarlett? I'm doing quite a bit of travelling in the next few months, but, if possible, would love to attend a Fodors get-together when you come this way (eh, especially in wine country!).

Enjoy your planning!
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:08 AM

Hi Scarlett - I agree with the previous posters about the coastal drive.

A couple of places I would include that have not been mentioned yet is a day or two stay in the Santa Barbara area. Lot's to see around that area and the weather is usually great.

If you get as far as San Diego, I'd venture out on Point Loma to the Cabrillo National Monument at the end of the point. Besides the historical value, it has superb views of North Island (and those jets, again), San Diego Bay, Coronado, San Diego, and the huge expanse of land between the mountains and the sea. I visit it each time I am in San Diego and never tire of it.

Also, check out my "Short San Diego Trip Report" (i'll top it for you) for a recemmendation for a great Mexican restaurant.

Have a great trip.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM
GP

Hi Scarlett

I like your quote
"I want to scare him to death on that stretch where he looks out the window and dooooown to the ocean below ( evil laugh)."

One of the best spots on the entire California coast for this is a stretch of highway 101 a few miles south of Crescent City It is right up there with anything in the "Big Sur" section of coast. Also as Michael pointed out the trip out to the lost coast from Ferndale out through Petrolia on the Mattole Road provide this type of views however it is a long slow trip. From the 101 Ferndale exit to the place you get back on 101 at Founders grove is a 6 hour trip. The road was open last month when me and the wife drove it. There are no redwoods on this route until you drop down into Humboldt Redwoods State Park.
If you do not take that route plan on taking a short trip up this road from 101 at the Founder's grove exit. Drive up to the big tree area. This is the finest redwood forest in the world. Take a hike across Bull Creek. There are some VERY LARGE REDWOODS there. Stay at Benbow Inn if you can get in. If not there is a best western in Garberville that is ok. I have stayed at both and can recommend them. Do not stay anywhere else in Southern Humboldt or you will be disappointed. If you have any questions about Del Norte and Humboldt counties or the central coast around Morro Bay I can be of help, just post back here.

Have Fun
GP
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I HOPE you come as far as San Diego!
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Skip Ashland???? Who said skip Ashland? It's one of the best places in Oregon to see California! And I think it would be a natural stopping point if returning home from somewhere in central CA like Fresno.

Seriously, Scarlett, you should stop there for (at least) a night, long enough to see a play in the Elizabethan Theater.

Old May 10th, 2006, 08:31 AM

The Yankee has never been to San Francisco?? Go, Go, Go!! What a wonderful trip this will be....so many stops...it will take months. Bring pup.

Old May 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Beachbum, I agree. Whichever way they come back hitting 5 at Redding, and the 150 miles past Mt. Shasta is very enjoyable. From Ashland, head to Crater Lake and Bend, then head towards home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -