Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

May 10-14 Seagrove Beach, Florida Mini Trip Report

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I went to Seagrove Beach, Florida from Wednesday, May 10 to Sunday, May 14. Seagrove Beach is in the Panhandle of Florida and is part of the Beaches of South Walton along Highway 30. It is about 15 minutes away from Destin, and 5 minutes away from Seaside.

We have explored Seaside previously, but had never been to Seagrove before so we didn't have many expectations. I have to say this was the best Florida beach trip we've taken. Seagrove Beach was very relaxing, low-stress, and quiet.

If you are looking for a lot of excitement, Seagrove Beach and the Beaches of South Walton are not really for you. However, if you want to walk along a beautiful white beach and watch perfect emerald water, then it would be more your speed (FYI- I found the beach quality of Seagrove Beach to be better than Destin).

Accomodations:

We rented a 1 bedroom condo from Garrett Realty (www.garrettrealty.com), one of the
many real estate rental agencies in the area. Specifically, we rented Unit 4C in the Beachwood Villas development. We were not gulf front, but we were directly across Hwy. 30 and the beach access was a 2 minute
walk from the unit. I would highly recommend Garrett Realty. Their website is great and allows you to see a good number of photos of each unit. Additionally, their office is open 7 days a week. They were extremely professional and checking in/out took less time than it does at most hotels.

Restaurants:

We weren't looking to try too many restaurants as we live in the New Orleans area and quite frankly, find most seafood and food in general not as good elsewhere (sorry but we're spoiled). We went to Angelina's, a little Italian place that had good weekday lunch specials. We also tried Yianni's, a Greek restaurant whose big draw is their hand cut steaks. The steaks were very good and inexpensive ($20 filet/$22 prime rib). We had pizza at Bruno's Pizza which was NY Style. We also went to Larder, a wine bar along Hwy. 30 in Seagrove that was great.

We also bought some drinks and other supplies at the relatively new Publix that is 5 minutes away from Seaside and Seagrove. It's called the Watercolor Publix.

We went to Destin on our last day to investigate a wine/beer store that my husband read about on one of his beer club websites. The store is called Chan's Wine World and it is fantastic. They have the best selection of domestic microbrews that my husband has ever seen (and he's a beer snob). They also had a great selection of wine, cheese, etc., and are about to open a wine bar for Memorial Day. Here is their website: http://www.chanswine.com/.

When planning our trip, I looked at several websites that were informational: beachesofsouthwalton.com, graytonbeach.com, and destin-ation.com.

Please feel free to ask me any questions...we also explored Grayton Beach and Rosemary Beach.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Enjoyed your trip report. You may recall I posted that I, along with 4 other ladies, stayed at Dunes of Seagrove through ResortQuest at the end of April, and we loved it.
Have a few questions for you -- My nephew is marrying in mid June at the Seaside Chapel. I don't want to stay at Dunes of Seagrove again, as we want to be a bit closer to Seaside without actually renting one of those outrageously expensive cottages.
How close were you to Seaside? Any other lodging recommendations? This time, it will be my DH and possibly our son (18) and daughter (22). FYI-- we live only 35 miles east in Panama City proper (not PCB), so we are not necessarily looking for the best view, but the best value for convenience.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Beachwood Villas was probably about a 5 minute drive to Seaside.

My husband and I actually discussed the insanity of renting in "Seaside" as you are literally minutes away in Seagrove. The cost differential is crazy.

I just looked at the Garrett realty website because there is an area map where the condos are laid out. There is an empty beachfront lot on the bluff that literally separates Seaside from Seagrove. If you want to rent a house, the closest house would be La Petit Casa. You would be in short walking distance to Seaside. There are several other houses.

The closest condos would be Palms at Seagrove and Hidden Beach Villas.

If you look at the Area Map on their website you'll get a better idea. Also look at emeraldsun.com.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

TTT for rfolmar.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM

Great posting... very informative. We are looking into our first emerald coast beach vacation summer 2008 and have been doing tons of on line research... getting more and more confused as we go.
We are planning on renting a house and were originally looking in the Rosemary Beach area. Recently, though I have been reading a lot about Seagrove Beach and Santa Rosa Beach.
We will be a total of 3 families w/ 3 small children between us and are looking for someplace quiet and family friendly.
Suggestions?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM

mah1980, how was the surf? Was it more calm, almost like a lake (like the beaches near Tampa) or were there rolling waves? Thanks for your report ... very informative.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:34 AM

I hope you don't mind if I offer some advice. First, the waves in the Gulf between Panama City Beach and Pensacola can be rather calm or very rough. It just depends on the weather, but it is rarely like a lake in the summer. However, we generally do not have the big waves that surfers love, except when a hurricane is brewing in the gulf. However, our gulf can be very dangerous with rip currents any time of the year. In some parts of the panhandle, we have a flag warning system, as there are very few, if any, lifeguard services along the coast.
Unless you get a really good deal, I would expect Rosemary Beach and Seaside to be very expensive. Look at Seagrove Beach. AS MAH 1980 has pointed out, it is very close to Seaside but much more reasonable. Seagrove will also be less congested that Seaside. I go with a group of college friend every April to Seagrove and we love it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM

Gracie:
Where in Seagrove to you stay? House or Condo? Which one?
Thanks.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM

We have stayed at Dunes of Seagrove, a condo we booked through ResortQuest. Dunes of Seagrove has three separate buildings and they are all low rise. There are two swimming pools and it is directly on the beach. We have stayed in a two bedroom unit, as well as a unit with two bedrooms plus bunk room. This is a very quiet part of Seagrove Beach and it not within walking distance to any restaurants or shops. May and October are the prettiest times of the year for northwest Florida beaches, and prices are less than in the summer or at traditional Spring break times. Also check vrbo.com for rentals.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:12 PM

I live 5 min.away from Seaside and agree it is insane.Seaside is really busy in summer and although still a special place it is not the way it was.My personal fav.is Grayton then Seagrove Blue Mountain is nice also.Above post is right about never knowing the beach cond.however I have spent many a day where it did indeed look like a lake.Please use caution while swimming ecspecially with children(I will not let mine in in yellow flag cond.)My dad is a local rescue officer and there have been to many days where his dive's have come out devastating.4 kids keeps a babybsitter list if you need one feel free to contact me for any info on anything.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry, I didn't see this post until this evening.

I would describe the beaches of Seagrove as pretty calm. The water is not in a bath water state like you would find in Turks and Caicos, but it's not as rough as California. I would say it's a middle ground between the two. It is calm enough to swim and for kids to play.

Seagrove is no more than 5 minutes away from Seaside/Watercolor, and we went there several times during our trip. You have access to all of the shops, restaurants, etc., but you are not paying the high price to stay there. I think those two resorts are nice, but they are a little too Ralph Lauren formal for our beach vacation. I think I would feel that I have to look great all of the time. Seagrove, in my opinion, is more low key and informal.

Grayton Beach Girl--Do you have any condo recommendations for Grayton Beach? We'd like to try that area next. We would only need a 1 bedroom or studio--we will be going in September (after Labor Day) or October next year as instead of our annual May beach trip, we will be going to France at that time.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Several on this board have discovered the pure joy of Seagrove!! As for condos in Grayton....mostly just houses...this entire area, down Hwy 30A, is a "collection" of very special and different communities...from several high end developments to the more "eclectic, independent" spots...starting at the East End of 30A you have Rosemary Beach, Seacrest Beach, Alys Beach, Seagrove Beach, Seaside, Grayton Beach, Blue Mountain Beach...(to name a few!)
We LOVE the variety of the 30A stretch as it gives us options depending on our whim/mood!

For the poster who is hoping to visit again with 3 families...I would suggest renting house/houses that are adjacent to one another or at least very close...and with easy/close access to the beach...
There are several neighborhoods on 30A that would meet your needs and you would likely be delighted!

Here are a few places to check out that IMO are good values and very comfortable, convenient to all the things you would find in the area...

ONE SEAGROVE PLACE (there are only 2 high rises in the area & this is one....after they were built there was an ordinance passed prohibiting....which has SAVED this area thus far from ridiculous towers ruining these pristine beaches and this laid-back way of life) anyway, just google it and they have a good website....great location, nice 2 BR condos....older property but very well maintained..

There is a neighborhood just a bit East of One Seagrove Place...it is called SUMMER'S EDGE....(Seagrove)...again, just google...
there are a LOT of house rentals...very very easy access to the beach, couple of pools, fantastic family venue...lots of families have repeat vacations here every year....their rental prices are very fair....nice houses (I think all have been built in only the last 6-7 years, so relatively new)....

Hope this info helps...
It is a special place and even though I have to drive 7+ hours to get there, I go any chance I get...usually 8-12 weeks a year...so will be happy to answer any questions...

GOOD LUCK!!
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM

Would Seagrove be a good family place to go during March (spring break)? It would be my husband and myself (grandparents), son and daughter-in-law and grandchildren ages 6 and 8. Daughter-in-law wants to go - son not so sure because of spring break crowds. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 07:43 PM

Wanda, the beach towns along 30-A (Seagrove, Grayton Beach, Rosemary Beach and more) would make a great destination for spring break. It's all very family oriented. The college kids go to Destin or Panama City Beach. Take a look at www.sowal.com to see photos of the beaches and towns, calendar of events, rental listings, shopping and dining. South Walton county is such a beautiful part of Florida! We've been visiting for almost 20 years and I don't think we'll ever get tired of it.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Wanda, Seagrove can be wonderful in March....or it can be too cool...I have seen it both ways over the years...last several have been just fine. Check out www.beachseekers.com for some good house rentals...in the drop down menu, select SANTA ROSA BEACH (this will cover Grayton, Seagrove, etc)...there is a great family neighborhood in Seagrove, great rentals...called SUMMERS EDGE...easy easy beach access...check it out...lots of families LOVE it and repeat it every year...