Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pre-theatre restaurant recommendations in NY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be seeing a broadway show while we're in NY and would like to find a relatively affordable place to eat nearby -- any suggestions? Would be open to random fun places like a good deli, or just something basic and good where we can get out of there for around $60 without drinks.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Neopolitan

There are exactly 783 restaurants that fit that description in the theatre district. (No, I don't think I'm exaggerating). So tell us what kind of food (every ethnic type is available) , what show you're seeing and what kind of atmosphere you like (dark, romantic, lively, noisy, modern, traditional?)

Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

I'm kind of indifferent on the kind of food, DH and I are pretty adventurous so I was just looking for a short list of people's favorites in the area. If I must be more specific -- maybe a small, romantic bistro type place? But if you have a favorite that's outside this description please still feel free to reply!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM

Do you mean $60 per person or $60 for the two of you. Normally, I would assume you meant $60 person when talking about pre-theater dinner in NYC. However, in your case, you cite "a good deli," and I just can't imagine anyone willing to pay $60 per person for a deli!
So, please enlighten us!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:11 PM

Many of the regulars recommend Becco's.
I learned recently my favorite closed recently.
Do a search on this forum for lots of other options.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:20 PM

A simple italian place we like is Orzo, or is it Orso,
now I can't remember. The decor is charming and the food is always good.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

I meant $60 for two (w/o drinks), although I be willing to go higher for something that looks really good, I'm not looking for anything fancy (and we are already spending 200++ on theatre tickets, plus 200 a night for our hotel, and will be going to other nice dinners w/friends while we are there -- starting to get expensive!).
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:31 PM

Becco on West 46th Street wouldd qualify pricewise. It's decent place, with decent food. Nothing fancy. It's are best known for a $22 pasta special, which includes three pasta dishes (different every night) and you can have as much of each as you want.
Reservation necessary at pre-theater dining time.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:14 AM

Is this lunch or dinner?

www.NYCRG.com has (11) restaurants in their fold & (4) I've
enjoyed to date for lunch for $14.95
or under are: Maria Pia, Cara Mia, Roberto Passon & last week,
Scarlatto which has a rather
pedestrian menu save for a couple of
good appetizers and the goat-cheese filled Tortolini w/asparagus in vodka sauce that
was superb.
Check these out for dinner as I'm
sure they probably are wallet-friendly
& convenient to the theatre. And
reserve on OpenTable.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Joe Allen's is a basic American food place that attracts a late night theater crowd so can be fun celeb sightings. Their burgers and meatloaf are good. I like their La Scala salad.

John's pizzeria is a popular place for very good pizza. It's in a converted church.

On the same block as Joe Allen's (called restaurant row), is Becco with the $21.95 all you can eat pasta dinner. The Hourglass Tavern is also decent.

But along 9th ave in the 40s-50s it's packed solid with good, inexpensive ethnic restaurants.

So if you want to tell us which theater/show you're seeing or what kind of food you'd like, we can narrow it down some more.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Sorry, just noticed you said small romantic bistro. Le Madeleine in their garden room. (specify when you reserve). They have a $30 pre theater dinner, so it will be a tad over $60 with tip and tax.

Marseille would be another option. If you order carefully, you could stay within budget.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Being a long-standing fan of Le Madeleine, i agree with mclaurie. However, after tax and tip, you're taking about a $75-80 expense for two, which why I didn't recommend it.
However, if the OP decides on Le Madeleine, ask for the Garden Room when you make reservations.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Try Theatre Row, West 46th Street. MANY restaurants, with menus posted, offer price fix dinners, at great NYC prices. Quality....can't go wrong at any of them. Enjoy!
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:00 PM

I'll have to disagree with mrsgo. Without naming names, you can go wrong with some of the restaurants on Restaurant Row (West 46th Street between 8th & 9th Avenues). Also, pricewise, many of the better ones (Orso and Lattanzi, for example) are a lot higher than the OP's stated budget.
If the OP would make a firm decision about how much she really is willing to spend, it would in narrowing down the field. If you're willing to go higher, then there are a lot of places to recomend--Chez Josephine, Le Madeleine, Orso Lattanzi, etc., etc., etc.
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:12 AM

Agree with Howard on this one. Restaurant Row has some real clinkers now and some of the better ones can be very pricey. We also never asked which theater. Most of these assume one in the west 40s but there are some options in the 50s too.

La Bonne Soup is actually a cute French bistro that's not too pricey. It can get crazy for lunch, but an early dinner is usually quieter there. On 55th b/w 5th & 6th
http://www.labonnesoupe.com/

Maison, on 7th/Broadway & 53 st. is cute and also has outdoor tables if it's nice. Depending on what you order, doesn't have to be pricey.
http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=5417