Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which Hawaiian Island is your fav...and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the title says...which Hawaiian Island is your favorite?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Hmmm, you've been on here a while, so you must know this question has been sliced & diced a million different ways, right? Here's a small sampling:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34801685

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34718645

And my shameless plug for
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34515901

What's yours?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

I've technically been on for awhile, but hadn't checked back in for a loooonnnnngggggg while.

I"ve only been to Oahu. It was okay...definately not my favorite vacation destination. But my hubby wants to return to HI so we are trying to figure out which island to go to.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Just got back yesterday from 11 days on Oahu and Kauai. Have visited Oahu, Maui and the Big Island in the past five years. First time to Kauai.

Fav: Kauai. Why: Hanalei Bay at sunset
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:05 PM

The Big Island (Hawaii). It is my favourite. It's the most diverse (& largest) compared to the others. It's host to the most active volcano-an incredible sight to see! The mountains (Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa) are often snow capped in the winter months. "O-tech" (Oceantechnolgy Lab) grows Maine lobster (they call it "Keahole" lobster. Supposidly you can get a tail if you take the tour! Mile marker #81 ("Kiholo Bay") is a neat place to hike out to. Local legend has it that Lorretta Lynn married a local boy & built a boat house there (Materials from Bali). She then gave it to the Parks/Recs. Wild donkeys & horses still roam free. There are many "nooks & crannies" to explore. Natural warm springs (& steam vents) due to active lava. Famous Ironman Triathonlon is held here. Amazing hump back whales come here in the winter to give birth to calves & mate before heading back to Alaska. So much to see & do without the huge commercialization that has happened in Oahu & Maui. (and a little more than what goes on in Lanai & Molokai!) Who says the green turtle is endangered? There are plenty of them on the Big Island!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Kauai is my favorite. We went to three in 2003 Kauai, Oahu and Maui. Maui was ok. Oahu was cool for a couple of days due to Wakakki beach and Pearl Harbor.

Kauai is my favorite because it is exactly what you think Hawaii would be. The beaches and waterfalls are incredible.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
trippinkpj

ITA with marcyandtim. Kauai is what you'd expect HI to be. I also really like Maui, however have friends there have really taken us off the tourist track, so to speak. Big Island is fun, onlt if you have a week or more. Alot of driving if you want to explore several regions. I liked the activity on Oahu, but just for 3 or 4 days at a time. I may try Molokai in our next trip. Still researching, which is fun in itself.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM
iceeu2

my friend, iamq, likes Maui, I think!

my banned friend, g'lou, likes Maui, I think!

my friend, makai, likes Oahu, I think!

my friend, MelissaHI, like Oahu, I think!

that's 50/50

I'm not sure which is Kal's fav....

and, I think I am going to The Big Island sometime in the future and check it out.

i'2

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Maui even has a slogan that says "Maui is best" (I've forgotten the original Hawaiian saying, so I'm translating)...Maui is, for me, the best--it is the most touristy, I think, of the islands, next to Oahu, but seems more "Hawaiian", and even more beautiful than Oahu...my wife and I went on our honeymoon after being just Maui'd...sorry, couldn't resist...I will never ever forget the Maui sunsets we saw...Maui is just sooomuch fun....least favorite: Molokai...been there 2X--it certainly is about the most pure Hawaiian experience you can get, but for me, I like more of the "touristy" stuff to do--not just all nature (e.g. mule rides, camping, hiking, etc.), nor all simply laying on the beach all day...
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:19 PM

We will be returning to Hawaii for the forth time. The hardest part for us is picking three islands. We love them all. Each has its own uniqueness and personality. This time its Oahu, Kauai and Maui. Last time Oahu, Maui and the Big Island, before that Kauai, Maui and the Big Island. They are all our favorites.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM

I'2! You called me your friend! And by the way, thanks for outing me as a Maui lover! Jeez, is nothing sacred around this joint?

-Bill
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Yep, I think I like Oahu! Icee, I'm proud to be your chicken paw chompin' friend!

bill, your secret is safe with us!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 04:31 AM
iceeu2

bbq..........I said nothing about luv!! Like!

chicken paw chompin iceeu2 thought she was on Kauai this morning as she started to work and a hen and 6 baby chicks were making their way across the road!

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM

there is an island for everyone and everyone who has visited all of them will say: "that one is my special island". for me it's moloka'i. i came and i stayed. one hike in those forests up here and i was hooked. walking on a beach we are usually all alone. and in town we get lots of hugs from folks we know.
basically in comparison to the busier islands, i love moloka'i for what it hasn't got.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:31 PM

quackerbacker..."Maui No Ka Oi"
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Big Island.
Variety.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM

I have been to all the islands (that one can go to) and I like Maui. Lanai is beautiful and secluded, but Maui has everything. I love the Big Island, but would suggest skipping Oahu and Kauai. Just my two cents. If you decide on Maui, email me and I will give you lots of suggestions. I'm in Maui about 8 times a year.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 02:40 PM
trippinkpj

Hard to pick a fave. i've been to Maui the most. Maui then Kauai as a runner up.

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM
iceeu2

Different strokes for different folks, that's for sure.

We are shamelessly in love with Kauai. Going to The Big Island next year tho. Thinking of trying Maui again in the very near future. And, Oahu...well dang if we didn't like it also...

Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry? Rainbow sherbet????

Toss a coin!

i'2

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:08 PM

As I read on a bumper sticker there last January..."if you love Kauai, tell your friends to go to Maui!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -