Galveston Schlitterbahn

Search

Galveston Schlitterbahn

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galveston Schlitterbahn

Has anyone been to this location? I'm trying to decide whether to buy 1 day tickets or 2. Also, will it be over-crowded on Friday if we go early? We could go on Thursday afternoon but would this be enough time? Our kids are 8 and 10 and absolutely love waterparks but we've never been to a Schlitterbahn. We're going this weekend! HELP!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Hi txmom,
I was just there this past weekend. There were 3 of us but no small kids. We got there at 1 and left by 7. And that was on a Saturday. I'm sure weekdays have less traffic especially in the morning.
Remember that you can bring an ice chest with your own drinks and snacks (just no glass containers) and that really saves on spending cash. Besides our tickets we only rented a locker ($6 with $2 refunded when you turn in the key) If you get there early enough you should be able to "reserve" a picnic table with your blankets, ice chest, etc. and just rent a locker for your ID, cash, keys.
Any other questions, just post again and I'll try to answer.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

memejw,
Thanks for the response about the Schlitterbahn. Are you from the Galveston area? I have some questions about the San Luis Pass area.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:13 AM

Nope, sorry. I've only been in Houston about a year.
Maybe re-post with San Luis Pass in your message header to get more responses.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:06 AM
emd

memejw, I am also thinking of the Galveston location for a day in July, as a side trip from a trip to Houston to visit relatives and go to some Astros games w/my teen son.

Could you speak to the question of whether one day is enough for this park, or could you do two days there?

How crowded were the attractions? Did you experience long lines? Is the food in the park decent? i am not as worried about $$ but don't want to eat crud and would take an ice chest if we can eat better that way.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:20 AM
emd

Also, are all the outdoor attractions open now? The website says they would be open "by the summer season". It says the indoor part of the park won't be open til later this year.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Hello emd,
Who is going? I ask because that can make a difference as to how long you may want to stay. My whole family went to the Schlitterbahn in S Padre Island 2 years ago (Several adults, teenagers, and a couple small children aged 3 to 5) Everyone was content with one full day although we had the beach to come back to!
But really, I think if you get there when they open (10AM, I believe) you should have plenty of time to do everything several times over by the time they close at 8PM.
I can't speak to the food because we brought our own. In my own experience the food is decent enough but extremely overpriced. The cost especially runs high when you are trying to get enough fluids b/c of being out in the sun and active. At the very least I would bring a small ice chest with bottled water or gatorade.
On Saturday, the lines were long for the "high thrill" rides but I don't think we waited any longer than 20 minutes anywhere.
Outdoor attractions? Hmmm, I didn't see anything closed. I did notice some new construction. It looks like they may put in a new slide and a wave pool.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

To emd:
I don't know which side of Houston you are on but Six Flags has "Splashtown" north of Houston in the Spring area. We went last year. They have the fantastic "Tornado" ride. The downside is that you can't take any drinks or food in the park. There is a small picnic area outside the park. Other than that, it's a nice waterpark. I can't compare it to a Schlitterbahn waterpark since I've never been.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:56 AM
emd

Thanks for the info- I will look into that park also. We will be staying in downtown Hosuton, either a Priceline hotel or springing for Inn at the Ballpark (love that hotel), so either of those water parks are doable. Maybe we will stay in Galveston the night we go to Shlitterbahn, will have to see what the hotels are like there ($$), as I doubt you can get Priceline rooms there in summer at the Galvez or Tremont. I want to keep the costs down on hotels as we will be spending $$ on the ballgames, at the waterpark, etc.

I didn't mean to hijack txmom95"s thread, but it seems she also got her questions answered through the exchanges here...
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM

I don't know about an affordable room because we always drive back to Houston but if you stay the night after you are cleaned up consider Gaido's for dinner. Really great food and service...it's been around for about a century I believe.
My fiance has been to Splashtown and I'm not sure that it compares to Schlitterbahn. And again, if you go to Schlitterbahn all you are paying for is entrance (around $30) and a locker ($6).
Have fun no matter what you decide.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Casey's, sister restaurant of Gaidos has cheaper food but also good (not to mention less long waiting lines)- well made seafood. There's also a Hilton there now (right on the seawall) next to San Luis (which is also good) if you are looking at places to stay.

It's been awhile since I've been to that Splashtown but I remember liking it. Not been to the Schlitterbahn in Galveston (didn't even know they had one there and on Padre!!! - things I learn from Fodor's Forum...) but I loved the Schlitterbahn in San Marcus (although it's been awhile since I've done that too).
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone run across the Schlitterbahn coupons that Sonic is suppose to have? The Houston locations are suppose to have them. Our local Sonic does not carry them. They are for $2 off each ticket.