Looking for food and wine recommendations on the North Fork of LI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I will be heading from Cold Spring Harbor to the north fork on Monday, and are looking for favorite vineyards, restaurants, and any other great spots (like artisnal cheese makers, etc).

My family used to own a home in Mattituck years ago, so that will be a definite stop, along with any faves you pass along.

This site has always brought such great recommendations, thanks to this community for sharing!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM

If you like goat cheese, Catapano Dairy on the North Road in Peconic is good. It's fun because you can also see the goats in their pen.

Sang Lee Farms, also on the North Road, is great.

I'm not a huge fan of the North Fork Wines, but Palmer Vineyards in Aquebogue has some nice selections. Osprey's Dominion is one of the bigger vineyards, but I don't think their wine is that great.

For restaurants, I really like The Old Barge off the Main Road in Southold. The decor is rather kitschy maritime, but there are huge windows that offer a great view of the water. The food isn't terribly fancy, but they do a great burger and fish fillet. For something a little more posh, go to the Seaview Barge next door. I've never been there, but I've heard it's a little more upscale.

I also like the Old Mill Inn in Mattituck. It's down a winding side road off the North Road. It's on a little inlet...very peaceful.

Another nice waterfront option is Orient By the Sea, by the ferry terminal in Orient. This is another laid back place where you can get a table outside.

Claudio's in Greenport is always a good choice. It's right in the center of town, by the water. They serve Italian and seafood.

Bay & Main is a more upscale restaurant in Greenport, but I've never eaten there.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 03:06 PM

I love Pindar and my coworker loves Marie Claire (i think that's the name)
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:11 AM

I highly highly suggest lenz winery on the north fork. most people go to pindar (down the road from lenz, it's all very close proximity) for the wine but the real highlight is the champange. it's only like $21, and delicious. and to eat, i've always liked the elbow room and modern snack bar in jamesport.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:52 AM

The above mentioned restaurants are old standby favorites, all having survived the test of time. Some newer and popular eating places deserve consideration as well. To mention a few: Pepi's 765-6373,(waterfront near Seafood Barge and Old Barge); Jamesport Country Kitchen 722-3537 (Rt 25, Main Rd)also the Farmer's Bar 765-1200 (4805 Depot Lane, Cutchogue. The latter enjoying huge success offering casual southern style cooking. They just opened another location on Rt 25 in Southold which is called Big Mama's Creole Kitchen 765-1200. All these restaurants would be considered moderately priced. Let me know if the higher end is your preference.
As to wineries, start off on Rt 25 in Aquebogue at Paumanok, making your way East and include some or all along Rt 25 such as Bedell Cellars, Castello Di Borchese, Galluccio Family, Pellegrini and Pugliese. If you are up to it then make your way east or west on Rt 48 (locally referred to as the North Road)and include Castello DiBorghese, Macari, Martha Clara and Palmer. There are quite a few more and if they catch your eye, stop in. Each has its own appeal.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM

All wonderful suggestions and I second Castello di Borghese
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM

There are some wonderful wines being crafted on Long Island these days (better, IMHO, than the Pindar/Palmer variety). Check out Bedell, Corey Creek, Water's Crest, Lenz, Lieb...heck, just go to liwines.com & see which ones appeal to you! The Frisky Oyster in Greenport is great, and I've heard positive things about Scrimshaw too. Chowder Pot Pub has been there forever, so has Claudio's (but I've found the food at Claudio's to be average..) There's a brand new place called Vine which offers 54 wines by the glass and a tapas-style menu. We'll be checking that out soon! Enjoy!!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I forgot about Pugliese!! I highly recommend that one too!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:50 PM

For dinner two new restaurants are very good,North fork table and Inn and EVO.
For lunch the Old Barge in southold at Egypt Marina is wonderful,sit outside as the view is beautiful(very caual but just right for lunch,dinner is probably good to.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Here's an article with some new places on the North Fork

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...sit-lede-links

The Jedediah Hawkins Inn is a charming place but haven't eaten there yet.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:16 PM

You have probably come and gone from the North Fork, but if not, I highly recommend Antares in Greeport (not in the village, though); I think it is the best place to eat on the far east end of the North Fork; it is way off the main roads so it gets overlooked by many but their food is suberb.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Just ate at the Jedediah Hawkins Inn. The dining rooms are beautiful as is the room downstairs to have drinks or dessert in. The food was amazing. Had a sampler of 4 types of smoked fish followed by Atlantic Haddock with whipped parsnips, plus some great chocolate dessert. Reservations are a must!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:53 AM

Can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting. Price?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Finally got to Jedediah Hawkins. Had a FABULOUS lunch. The dining room is just beautiful, all soft tones of greens and beiges.

The menu choices were plentiful, from salads (nicoise) to fish to pasta to meat. Lots of appetizers too. In the end, I had to go with my favorite - lobster roll and it was sensational. There was a hint of citrus (lime I was told) in it. Perfectly done homemade fries also on the plate along with some wonderful crunchy greens. Their china service is all white with square/rectangular plates. It gives the meal a sense of modernity balanced with the traditional decor.

They served some dinner rolls with golden raisins that were fantastic. They came with homemade butter, goat cheese butter and olives. The rolls come from a bakery down the road called Jumba's. Went there after lunch to buy some and they had NONE! Friday I was told. #39;(

Prices weren't terrible for lunch. My lobster roll was the most expensive entree at $22. Most of the others were in the $15-18 range with appetizers from $8-12.

I had a dessert of almond pound cake with figs and mascarpone. First bite was heaven. Then it just became too sweet. I suffered for a few more bites.

Highly recommend this place. Dinner prices are high though with most entrees in the $30s.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 01:51 PM

You absolutely MUST eat at the Frisky Oyster. It's been ranked one of the top 80 restaurants in the world by Conde Nast. My fiance and I went last year and loved it--http://www.thefriskyoyster.com/ Also, I just read that the North Fork Table & Inn opened by two well-known NYC chefs (in the space that used to be Coeur de Vignes) and it's gotten pretty good reviews--http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/localguide/114065,0,7920641.venue

However, if you can only do one--do The Frisky Oyster. I enjoyed the Raphael Winery--http://www.raphaelwine.com/ but for some "real" character check out Old Field Winery--www.theoldfield.com We also particularly liked Correy Creek and Bedell. Here's the main website for all the vineyards in the area: www.liwines.com
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:19 PM

I have heard how good the Frisky Oyster is. Then they changed chefs and I haven't heard so much about it. Cindymal also mentions the North Fork Table & Inn above.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 02:08 PM

In my opinion, the Frisky is a good place, one of the better places on the NF, but as for one of the top 80 in the world, PLEASE........I think it was rated one of the top 80 best new places (not one of the top 80 best overall) in that CNT article, but even so, a bit of an exaggeration! I like the food better at Antares but that has just changed hands so we will have to wait and see if the chef stays..