Fodorites' Recommendations for Yellowstone & GTNP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been compiling a list for some time now from posts I've read on Fodor's. A few items may have come from other sources. It's a list of things we should do, see, etc., while visiting the GTNP and Yellowstone area. We are going in Sept 06, so the list is definitely slanted for that season, but I still think it might help others planning their trips. It is not complete, but with so many traveling this summer, I figured now would be as good a time as any to post it. If I have missed something you loved in this area, please post it here.

For sharondi and others who have asked how I plan for trips:

*Road conditions: 307-344-2117
*Xanterra (Lodging Reservations): 866-439-7375

YELLOWSTONE:

*Swimming in the geyser heated Firehole River a highlight.
*Various geyser basins (Norris Geyser Basin is the best IMHO)
*Swimming in the Fire Hole and soaking in the spring up near Mammoth: Near Gardiner (northern entrance to Park) is a place called Boiling River (not in most guide books). It is just past Continental Divide sign with a parking lot. It's a convergence of river and hot spring, so that you climb over rocks and sit in a natural jacuzzi - there is a sign at the parking lot describing it.
*In Gardiner, eat at Park Street Cafe.
*Elks rutting often congregated in a meadow at Mammoth Hot Springs
*The meadows several miles towards W. Yellowstone are great places to see the rut. Early morning fog coming off river with sun rising in background makes for excellent photos.
*See Artist Point in canyon area.
*Lunch or dinner at Old Faithful Inn.
*Places you might see GRIZZLIES:
1. Sedge Bay to Lake Junction
2. Hayden Valley - Elk Antler Creek and the Mary's Mountain Trail area.
3. Tower side of Dunraven Pass
4. Swan Lake Flats
5. Sylvan lake area to fishing bridge area
*Places you might see WOLVES:
1. The Hayden Pack is being seen regularly, best viewing can usually be done from the Grizzly Overlook (has a log "fence" around the perimeter of the paved area. Located high, overlooking the river, just before you head down into the flats of Alum Creek). The white alpha female makes a great spotting object. Griz are also bit players in the Hayden Pack drama frequently, as you would expect.
2. The Agate Creek pack is frequently visible from the pullouts above Antelope Creek, on the north side of Dunraven Pass. Their rendezvous site is also a long ways off, but plenty visible to anyone with a scope. The crowds form daily at that string of pullouts. It's one of the best shows in town lately. Grizzlies and a lone moose make cameo appearances, just to spice things up.
*In Canyon area, try eating at the Soda Fountain in the general store, (Delaware parks, not Xanterra.)

TETONS:

*Wildlife caravan: September 6 – September 30, Daily 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; For reservations call the Moose Visitor Center at (307) 739-3399. Limited to ten vehicles. Dress warmly and bring binoculars or spotting scopes. Check in at the Moose Visitor Center at least ten minutes before the tour. This activity is free of charge.
*Oxbow Bend Wildlife Watch: September 6 – September 30 Daily 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. No reservations required. Join a ranger at the Oxbow Bend Overlook for an evening wildlife watch. Stop by anytime from 6:00 pm. – 7:30 p.m. to scan the Oxbow for birdlife and large mammals.
*Sunset at Signal Mountain is spectacular.
*Mormon Row at sunrise is fabulous.
*Take 4-5 hours and drive the GTNP "loop" and stop at every "pull out".
*Take the boat ride across Jenny Lake and hike/climb to Hidden Falls & Inspiration Point.
*Drive down Antelope Flats Road to view the bison close up and to see the Moulton Barn. (Both are great photo ops.)
*Have lunch or dinner outdoors at Dornan's (at Moose in GTNP).
*View the whole range from Signal Mountain. It is a panoramic sweeping view of the whole thing--don't miss sunset.
*Museum of the Plains Indians at Colter Bay
Drive to the String Lake parking lot and do some hiking in the Tetons
*Great mountain views with possibility of moose at end of Schwabacher Rd.
*Ride tram up mountain, closing down fall 2006.
*From Signal Mountain, it's a 5 minute drive to Oxbow Bend and Jackson Lake Lodge. The area between them is one of the richest wildlife habitats in the world.
*Places you might see MOOSE:
Willow Flats Oxbow Bend
Wilson Road (access in Moose Jct) at dawn and dusk.

JACKSON:
*Supplies: Albertson's at 105 Buffalo Way; K-Mart off Rte 189/191
*Bar-T-5 Chuckwagon show and dinner in Jackson

STAR VALLEY:
*On U.S. Highway 89, along the Idaho border and 35 miles south of Jackson, Wyoming, and within 100 miles of Teton & Yellowstone National Parks: beautiful area, scenic drive and pioneer towns.

CODY:
*For supplies: WalMart on west of town; Albertson's on east side of town.
*Buffalo Bill Historical Center highly recommended, $15 adult, entrance ticket good for two consecutive days; Smithsonian-like museum.
*Trail Town, may look like a tourist trap, but it is one of the neatest and most unique western museums
*Heart Mountain Relocation Camp, housed 11,000 relocated Japanese during WWII--west of Cody toward Powell, on Alt 14.
*Maxwells, easy walk from the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. Open for lunch and dinner; pick up a good loaf of bread at the cash register--their sourdough is a mild sourdough with a crispy crust.
*Sierra Trading Post Outlet Store, 1402 8th. Street
*COLT (public bus for $2) and 4 person bicycle rentals

I'm hoping this will begin a good resource thread for Yellowstone/GTNP vacationers. Have a safe and wonderful trip!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

I tried to edit the above post for easier reading, but it would not let me. Hope you can understand it the way it is.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:22 AM

I would add a meal at Lake Lodge in Yellowstone. Your list is a great print & go guide!!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Aunt Annie!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Definitely add the wildlife museum in Jackson. (I forget its name.)
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Howard! I bet you recognized a lot of your advice on my list. You are a wonderful help! I am searching for the name now and will add the museum to the list.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

OMG, Howard! BEAUTIFUL architecture!

National Museum of Wildlife Art
Open daily 9 - 5
2820 Rungius Road
Jackson Hole, WY 83002
ph. 800-313-9553
Adult Admission $10.00 per person.
Children 18 and under visit FREE when accompanied by an adult.

LOTS of great things going on there in addition to the museum itself. Thanks so much, Howard!

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Wow! What a great list, BayouGal. That is most helpful!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Great list, BayouGal. I'll definitely print it. We'll be there just before you in Sept. Really looking forward to it. I'll be sure to go thru my notes and see if there's anything I have that's not on your list.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:42 AM

BayouGirl, you will love that area. September is great month to go there...the best month of the year for a visit....The foliage is beautiful, the weather is great, the crowds are gone, the animal sightings are everywhere.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Bayou Gal! Your itinerary is really useful 4 me. been checking it out from what I can over the internet. I was, as you may remember from my post, trying to squeeze too much into a 15 day trip. I am planning to get to the US 01-03 September and am now considering focusing on Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Think I can come along??
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM

BayouGal,
Thank you, A most helpful post.
I have been reading this message board over the last several months and have become very familiar with all of the regular posters. Thanks to all of you who have unknowingly helped to plan our Sept trip to Yellowstone & Grand Teton.
BayouGal, you always asked my questions before I had a chance and got the answers. I think we are doing a similar trip & will be in the parks about the same time as you. Did you decide to spend the night in Cody?
I think you decided to stay at Signal
Mt. in GT. We will be in GT on Sept 21 for 3 nights and we are still undecided between Signal Mt and the condos at Teton Village. I'm just concerned about the driving back and forth. Any suggestions or recommends!!

thanks again to all of you!!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM

This is great...thank you. I am just starting to think about next summer's trip (always have to have at least one on the drawing board )and a road trip in that part of the west is one of the top possibilities I am considering right now.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Oh, how we loved Yellowstone. The best part, in retrospect, was having our transmission go out near Tower/Roosevelt Lodge and being forced to stay an extra week, slow down, and enjoy it. Being low in cash made the one ice cream cone each we allowed ourselves at Tower store such a treat.

We camped in Slough Creek, highly recommended, in late August, and saw young wolves gambolling near the junction of Slough Creek turnoff and the main road. Lamar Valley is beautiful and quiet in the evening.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

I am so glad this thread is proving beneficial for so many! I enjoy helping with travel planning . . . can you tell? ;-) And I feel STRONGLY about repaying in kind for all the valuable help I have received from so many!

Sikki, how much do you weigh? Maybe you'll fit in my duffle bag! ;-) Please let me know how your planning is going. Where are you now? I think I read on the Europe forum that you are in Pakistan (?) . . . sounds like you are planning some great trips!

sharondi, when do to you get back from your trip? Please post any good ideas you've come up with so far. This board works much better if we all share our "secrets." LoL BTW, what's your itinerary, OR what is the title of the thread with your itinerary?

HowardR, any and all reassurance and encouragement from you (an expert who's always most helpful) means more than you know!

Yes, Link, we are overnighting one night in Cody. No reservations yet, however. BTW, got my 2 nights at OFI. SOOOOOO excited about that! What's the delimma between Signal Mt and the Condos?

I agree, fun4all4, and planning can be one of the best parts, huh?!

stokebailey, you sound like a really neat person . . . I love it when folks can turn lemons into lemonade. You make me really glad we're going to Yellowstone soon!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM

BayouGal,
I'm sure your compilation of info will be very helpful for others looking into this area.

We really loved walking through the Upper Geyser Basin late at night with a full moon and also very early in the morning. There was a very magical feeling being surrounded by the steam from large and minute thermal features.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Clousie. You seem to offer me good advice no matter where we're going. I am looking forward to some "night viewing" . . . one of the best parts of staying in our great parks. Unfortunately, looks like they'll be NO moon while we're there, but we'll still try.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Oops . . . grammar/senile moment alert--that should be "there will" not they'll. Lordy!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Hi to all
Re; To stay at Signal Mt. or Teton Village Condos?
I like the idea of just waking up and being right in the middle of things, but after spending 6 night in Yellowstone, my husband will have gone through too much TV withdrawal. No TV's at Signal Mt. The condos sound so nice especially after the NP lodging. Just trying to decide if it is worth the daily drive up to the lakes for our activities. BayouGal, So happy that you finally got your nights at Old Faithful, I know you have been trying every day, Congratulations!!! It pays to be persistent! Thanks again for compiling that great list.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Link, your husband's dilemma is exactly the reason I decided to include the overnight in Cody. We'll be at Dunraven in the park for 2 nights, then go to Cody for 1 night, on to Mammoth, OFI, then the last nights at Signal Mt before we fly out of Jackson. If you have read my threads, then you know I really debated those lasts night, too. My DH goes right back to work that next day so I had a tough decision. He finally made it in the end and wants to try what we have. Besides, I figure if it's too rough at Signal Mt, then we'll cancel the last night and find a modern hotel in town for the last night. It's such a tough decision to make, isn't it? We thought we'd have this same problem in Yosemite, Alaska, Grand Canyon, etc., but those areas were just so lovely that not having the extra amenities didn't matter at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -