The Bronx: how is it, really?

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bronx: how is it, really?

I've been to Manhattan many times but never to any other boroughs. My nephew is starting Fordham soon. How is the Bronx, really? If I go to visit him, any suggestions about where to stay?

It looks like there are some interesting things to see: the zoo, parks, island, Little Italy, old neighborhoods...are these places near each other?

What else can you tell me about the Bronx? Also, reco's for web sites will also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM

The Bronx Zoo and The Botanical Gardens are right near each other and should not be missed.

Try this site... http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=282

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Near the zoo there is an old Italian neighborhood known for its restaurants. I believe that it is on Arthur Ave., Others might be more specific.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I wouldn;t stay in the Bronx - they really don;t have tourist hotels. (There are only 3 listed, 2 Howard Johnsons - 1 for Yankee Stadium - and an EconoLodge. I beleive there may be other motels but they rent by the hour.) The neighborhood Fordham is in is interesting - but definitely not upscale.

There are several things to see in the Bronx: Zoo, Botanical Garden Wave Hill Mansion overlooking the Hudson, Yankee Stadium (for a game or a tour off season).

Arthur Avenue isn;t Little Italy - which is in Manhataan but does have a bunch of great traditional Italian restaurants and grocery stores with every type of Italian food for sale.

The Bronx is a huge borough and has a whole variety of neighborhoods - some that are very pleasant, a lot that are middle/working class and some that are marginal (I wouldn't walk on the street at night).

If you visit either stay in Manhattan and subway back and forth or rent a car and stay in Westchester (but the trip back/forth to a pleasant area would be 30 minutes or more.)

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Arthur Avenue, relative to Little Italy in Manhattan, is a true Italian neighborhood with great-to-very-good family-style restaurants and bustling marketplaces.

Here -

http://www.arthuravenuebronx.com/

It's right off Fordham Road and only about 5 to 10 minutes cab ride from the University, the terrific Bronx zoo (by Northe east standards) and the botanical garden.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM

The Bronx, as noted above, is a huge borough with a vast array of neighborhoods. There are multi-million dollar homes (Riverdale) and dank public housing projects and everything in between. You should stay in Manhattan and take the train to the Bronx for exploring.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM

...forgot. Website is:

www.ilovethebronx.com
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM
rqf

The eastern end of the Fordham campus is across the street from the Botanical Garden. The north east end of the campus is across the street from the Bronx zoo. It is a short walk to Arthur Avenue and its many Italian restaurants.
There is a motel across the street from the campus but I wouldn't stay there. If you intend driving when visiting consider staying in a motel near Tuckahoe Road.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the comments and especially for the useful links--lots of great info about the area and I feel a little more familiar now.
Funny, though, that there are virtually no hotels.

I have no firm plans to go at the moment but parents weekend is in October and maybe I'll accompany my sister.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Last month my son and I were in NYC and we rode the subway from Manhattan to Fordham U. for a visit to the campus. This was at 10 AM on a Wednesday and I felt very safe on the subway. I grew up in Yonkers and attended high school and college in the Bronx.

About 3 stops from Fordham a man on the subway car began yelling at another man (standing next to me) and tried very hard to start a fight. His exact words were: fists , knives or guns. The car was fairly crowded and this was between subway stops. The man shouting was standing next to my son. Nothing happened but it was extremely tense and it was an eternity until the next stop and the doors opened where he got off.

We attended a Yankee game two nights before with no problems but there was many more people on the train.

I'm sure this was a rare occurrence but I would suggest for the Botanical Gardens go to Grand Central and try the Metro-North.

Take care.

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Hi olive oil. You've gotten a lot of good information here. My son attends Fordham and I have more to add, but will do it when I have some time after we move him back to school tomorrow.

Your sister will receive a very comprehensive listing of hotels for Parent's Weekend and the Metro North station is right outside Fordham's gates, so you really don't have to use the subway if you are uncomfortable.

Best wishes to your nephew and I'll post back soon.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 06:31 PM

the botanical gardens in the bronx are huge, but the ones in brooklyn are more impressive and more manageable in my humble opinion.

but you can't beat arthur avenue for great italian.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 06:36 PM

I can't say whether the gardens in Brooklyn are better -- can't seem to ever get there. But since the Botanical Gardens are right across the street from Fordham, I wouldn't pass it up!

Fordham has a certain number of "guest" passes for parents and visitors to the Gardens -- I've never used them since we have a NYBG membership, but I would make advance arrangements with the school to have them at your disposal when you visit.

More to come...
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:03 AM

No - it's not really funny that there are no hotels. The entire borough is almost completely residential. It's not like a suburban area with office parks - where there are always chain hotels/motels for visiting business people.

For the activities in the Bronx locals go either by car or subway/train - and tourists stay in Manhattan - where 90% of the stuff you want to do is located.

If there were hotels there I doubt they would have very much business.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 04:22 AM

I used to live on Arthur Ave and loved the neighborhood. It's safe to walk from Fordham to the sights on Arthur Ave. Arthur Ave is only 3 blocks from Fordham road on which the University borders.

One special hotel that I'm almost reluctant to mention is one on little known City Island - Le Refuge Inn

http://lerefugeinn.com/

I also live on City Island for a couple of years - it's like a New England seaside town. They build yachts their and have a main drag with a cute diner, couple of antique stores and several seafood restaurants. On Mother's Day, Father's day and graduation days it's a long drive out since everyone (and their mother) are heading out for the "fancy seafood" dinner.

I love the Bronx and all it has to offer - food and diversity wise.

I never had trouble while living there and would ride my bike all around the place.

Another nice place to go - grab some picnic supplies at Arthur Ave and head over to Orchard Beach. (Toward City Island)

I might look at hotels in Westchester - I know there are a few that are just about a 10-15 min drive away from Fordham.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Roberto's Italian Restaurant on Arthur Ave. is a must. I 2nd City Island as an interesting place to visit.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:37 AM

Funny, I was thinking City Island as I was reading this, but I think you'd feel somewhat stranded without a car there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Island%2C_Bronx
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM

I'd fly into White Plains airport and rent a car from there. It's not THAT bad driving around NYC - there are places to park - just not in midtown.

I usually have a car when I go to NYC and don't have a problem.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:30 PM
rqf

Le Refuge Inn on City Island is a high end b&B. It is a 15 minute drive to Fordham from City Island.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM

For the first time ever I went to Arthur Avenue. The restaurants are like the ones the used to be in Little Italy in NYC. We ate at Emilia's at 2331 Arthur Avenue. The food was excellent and gave us recommendations on where to buy bread Terranova Bakery and get dessert at De Lillos Pastry Shop! The cannollis were great!!