Search

Topping; TTT and other hints for new folks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping; TTT and other hints for new folks

If you have seen this as a reply and wondered what it meant --

"topping" is a way to send a post [like this one] to the #1 spot in the list so someone can find it. It is a way to let someone read what had already been posted so they could get info that was similar to their Q. As you have probably noticed...Q's get moved down the list fast and often newcomers aren't sure how to find old posts. So entering something [anything will do, but "topping' or "TTT" = to the top] in the reply box will move the post up.

Also, you can use the search box at the top of the page and type in the key word of your quiry.

And lastly, if you have seen a message and replied to it and then can't find it --click on your name or type it in the search box. It will bring it up. You can do the same for someone's name too if you remember it.

Hope this explains...
Debi

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Jed

The problem with topping to bring a post to the top for someone else to read is that the post may quickly move down.

If someone asked a question, wouldn't it be better to post the URL of the helpful post as a reply to the questioner's post? That way, the questioner will always be able to find it easily, by going to his/her original post.

How does that sound?
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM

I agree with jed -- if you're doing somebody else's research for them, post the links to the old threads in their own thread. This keeps all their referencecs together, and doesn't bump other, newer threads off the front page.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

I agree...topping doesn't help for that long a period of time, but for a new person, it may help them some. I don't see any harm in it. I have seen the link for an earlier message, but as computer savy as I think I am {?} and for as long as I have been using this board, I can't get that to work. When I click on the link I don't get to the intended thread. Care to explain what I am doing wrong? Thanks...
Debi
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
TheWeasel

I agree, the best way to point the way to an old thread is to simply post the link to it. Otherwise, by the time someone gets around to looking at the board again, they may not even see the "topped" thread.

To properly post the link to an old thread, you have to click on the thread title at the top of the thread (right above the first post) to get the proper URL. Look at the URL you're posting: it MUST have additional characters/numbers at the end to designate a specific thread (for example, this thread has &tid=34863254 at the end of it). If you locate an old thread and click on it and post this link: http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1 , you will simply be taken to the latest posts on the U.S. board. I've seen people do this a number of time.

Does that make sense?

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

So if the link is correctly inserted it will take you to the original thread that you are trying to have posters find?

I kept clicking on those and ending up back at the latest posts. I guess it is because they are not using correct URL?

I will try that here... here is a post from a "newbie"
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34863254

Let's see if I got it right...
Debi
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

NO, still doesn't bring up the thread...just takes me back to the #1 post. Oh well!
Debi
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
TheWeasel

That's curious, because the link you posted was for this thread.

Where does this link take you: http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34863479
It should take you to a thread about Western park reservations. If not, then I don't know what to tell you....

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Your worked, mine didn't. Debi
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
TheWeasel

I dunno. When I clicked on your link, it worked (although it didn't really move me anywhere, just kept me at this thread). Just for curiosity's sake, try posting a link to a different thread to see if it comes up.

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

It must be some setting I have on computer. Now every post I click on comes up as http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1 with no additional numbers.

If I click to reply, I see the extra number and somestimes is has Dirty and bit added on. Sheesh...
Debi
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Jed

The URL you posted, http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34863254 works for me, as it did for Weasel. Keep trying, Debi.

Perhaps you are clicking on the first URL in the 'reply' area, which is on top, after you click on 'preview my reply'. That doesn't work. Click on the second URL, which is after the ">". That is the one that shows up after you finally post. It is a glitch on this site.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:09 PM

Erveryone's link (including Debi's) worked correctly when I clicked on them.

In each case the thread was NOT #1 in the list (I knew it wouldn't be) on the left frame, but it displayed clearly in the middle/right frames.