Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

2 weeks on the Big Island, or pair it with another island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

DH and I just booked our plane tickets to Hawaii for next August. It's early, I know, but America West has GREAT fares from Boston to Kona ($579 pp) so we jumped on it. We usually fly American, and I will miss getting the miles for the trip, but it was so cheap, I couldn't pass it up!

Some background: This will be our 4th trip to Hawaii in as many summers. We went for our honeymoon, and then our 1st and 2nd anniversary. We have been to Oahu, BI, and Maui twice each, and Kauai once. Every year it's agony picking which islands to visit, even though we love them all!

The fare we got is a RT BOS-KOA. This could possibly be our last trip for just the two of us, as we are hoping to become pregnant in the spring or summer. Where would you go? Would you pair BI with another island, or just spend the 2 weeks on BI? (The first year we went, we did 3 islands, the next 2 years, we did 2 islands in 2 weeks.)

I know we have plenty of time to decide as we don't leave for 10 months, but I always love hearing other people's experiences and opinions on this forum!

So, what would you do if it was possibly your last "alone" trip with your spouse? We are hoping to continue to travel to Hawaii in the summers once we have a baby/family, although I don't know how feasible that is from Boston. (Money or time not the issue, just wondering if people really take babies on that long of a flight!)

Thanks so much, everyone
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:20 PM

While you could easily spend 2 weeks on the BI, I'd suggest at least a 3-4 days on another island. Kauai is my second favorite (BI is #1). Maybe try Molokai or Lanai? FYI- I used to live on the BI
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:25 PM

I'd vote for a week on Kauai.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM

i'd go to molokai for a couple of days. quite different from the other islands but nice for a few days
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:27 PM

Considering that you've been to Kauai, Maui & Oahu before, Big Island for two weeks sounds great.

It would really give you an opportunity to explore the Big Island.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:29 PM

Dusty makes a good point. I spent a week on the BI, and it wasn't long enough. Although, I'm interested in going to Molokai. So I'd personally do 10 on BI, and 4 on Molokai.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:16 AM

I would stay on the Big Island the entire time but break my stay into 2 or 3 different areas of the island. There is such great diversity...this would give you a chance for in-depth exploration and enjoyment of the entire island. As a last "pre-baby" trip, I'd splurge and spend part of it at one of the lovely Kohala area resorts. Then perhaps a nice B&B in the lush rainforest near Hilo. Many people enjoy the volcano area, but I am not one of them. My choice for a third location would be South Kona, somewhere around Captain Cook. Quaint little towns, coffee plantations, etc. to explore.
Regardless of which island we visit, I usually try to divide my stay. Sometimes we just take a one night getaway from a "home" condo. It's easier than island-hopping, and the difference between north and south shores, for instance, is dramatic on any island.
We were on the Big Island for a week in January. Spent too much time in the car for my tastes. A leisurely two weeks would be ideal.

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:23 AM

Go back to Maui and this time stay in the Wailea area. If memory serves, you've only stayed in Kaanapali while there. Time to give it a try.

-Bill
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! It's great to keep reading people's suggestions, it helps a lot in the "thinking about and planning stage"!

Bill, We do want to try Wailea at some point, absolutely! Right now, we are considering Maui for Summer 2008 (my 30th birthday) for 2 weeks...1 in Kaanapali and 1 in Wailea. Doesn't mean we wouldn't go in 2007, though! Where are you staying in Maui this Feb.?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:40 AM

We are staying in a house in Makena and doing one night at the Hotel Hana Maui.

-Bill
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:59 AM

Bill:
We must think alike. It's Maui in February for me. A week at my favorite So. Kihei condo, with a 1 night getaway at Hotel Hana Maui. Have been to Hana on day trips; really looking forward to lingering awhile.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would just stay on the Big Island, the last thing I'd want to do after 1 week in Hawaii have to pack, trudge off to the airport, change islands, change hotels... when I could be relaxing or exploring somewhere. That's an extremely personal decision and based on your own style of travel, but for me, I'd stay put. OR I like the idea of one week in two different places on BI.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:46 AM

Barbara,

Did you get the AAA rate at the Hotel Hana Maui? I remember you were asking about discounts.

-Bill
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Bill:
Yes, I did get the AAA discount. Still very expensive! I've rented houses for less $.
Barbara
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Hi Beachgirl: Love that you are planning already! Have you yet thought about where on the BI you plan to stay? I know you stayed at Hapuna Beach last time, and I'm not sure I could stay there for two weeks. I liked it for several days, but its remoteness would be a deterrent. If you are planning to stay in several areas, I think staying on the BI for the whole time would be great. As you know, it is somewhat inconvenient to have to repack, go to the airport, get new car, etc. Here's a link to some great condos on BI (I think I got the link previously from Barbara5353). If I were going to stay two weeks, I'd like the convenience of a condo. JMHO. http://www.konaoceanfronts.com For us, however, if we were going back for two weeks, we'd probably get a beautiful condo on Maui and maybe take a day trip to Oahu. Again, JMHO.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sherrie!
I know what you are saying about the remoteness of Hapuna. We like it alot, and would definitely spend some time there, but if we did 2 weeks on BI, I wouldn't stay there for the whole time. I do love that beach, though! And I will definitely check out the link, thanks! I would love 2 weeks on Maui, and right now, that is our plan for Summer 2008 (my 30th b-day). We are hoping by then to have a little baby to take with us

What about you -- what are you planning next with your family?
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Hi beachgirl! What a fun delimma! I agree with the other poster who suggested staying the entire 2 weeks on the BI in different locations. We've done that on both Oahu & Kauai now and it's great, like staying on different islands without the airport hassle.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I would do two islands. The BI is my favorite, but after week, you will have done most of the activities, and be in beach sitting mode. Problem is the BI has very few beaches, at least with any sand on them. Unless you are planning a return trip to HI it would be a shame not to see Maui and some of the sites on Oahu.

Yeah, packing up is a pain in the patooti, particularly with the airport restrictions these days, but its worth it IMO. And, if you travel Hawaii-smart, you won't have a lot of stuff to pack.

To the extent my family buys "stuff" in HI rather than packing it up and carrying it with us, we ship it home UPS. It takes a few weeks, but it beats lugging it around, to the other islands.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Beachgirl: We are just planning a trip to Fla this summer with another family. Looking at homes and condos to rent in Destin. Our son has just entered High School and his social schedule has gotten quite busy. DH and I do plan to head back to Hawaii, but we might wait until we can travel in May or Sept. without our son and can actually relax during our trip. Of course, our son has said that he's going with us no matter what. We'll see, maybe we can fit in a trip before he's off to college and another trip after. I'd go every year if our budget would allow!! For now, my Hawaii fix will be from reading the posts of the fortunate folks planning current trips!