Need walking tour directions for NYC

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:40 AM
MaureenB

Need walking tour directions for NYC

We will be in NYC for two full days this month. We're staying down at the Embassy Suites. We'd like to walk as much as possible, but aren't opposed to taking taxis and subway for long hauls. We've got maps of the city neighborhoods, and the subway system. Two of us have seen NYC, two of us haven't. We won't be visiting museums this visit or shopping, unless it pours rain on us.

We need specific street directions for our walking tours, with restaurant ideas for family lunch and dinner places. I know that's a tall order, but I have lots of faith in this forum! I've posted another, more general thread, and have helpful information from Ellenem, Ekscrunchy, McLaurie and AP6380. Can you all please give me more details?

Here's our plan:
1. We'd like to spend this day seeing 'old New York' with cobblestone streets, brownstones, funky boutiques, parks and squares, historic architecture. Visit Ground Zero, walk through Wall Street, Tribeca and SoHo, the East Village and NYU, with plenty of time investigating Greenwich Village, and probably have a late dinner there. Where to stop for lunch? Dinner recommendations in Greenwich? Too much crammed in a day? No time for South Seaport or a ferry ride to see Lady Liberty? (Not interested in Ellis Island this time.)

2. Go to Midtown and up to Central Park, be at Top of the Rock for sunset. See Times Square, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Fifth Avenue window-shopping, Lincoln Center, ... Not sure this is do-able in a day--??

Thanks again, everyone.
>-

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM
GoTravel

www.DowntownNY.com

You'll find a wealth of information here including some fantastic walking tours for downtown.

Lots of freebies including maps, guides, transportation, etc.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sincere advice is do not over-plan your walks. Half the fun is just having destinations on a map (I suggest Flashmaps) and then get there however your feet take you.

Regarding restaurants along the way -- same advice. Manhattan has thousands of options, most of them better than the rest of the country due to the extreme competition, so when you're walking and need nourishment, find a place that looks good to you and stop.

Bottom line: Relax. Don't over-think it and don't rush. If you don't see everything, you can come back!

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Be sure to walk to brunch @ 202 in Chelsea Market (19th and 9th).
M
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Maureen, you might want to consider buying City Walks, 50 walks in NYC.
http://www.amazon.com/City-Walks-Yor...280158?ie=UTF8

1. For lunch, consider Fraunces Tavern or if you're in Soho, the Broome St. bar is casual.
For dinner in the village, maybe La Lanterna or Otto's (for pizza)

Can't say how much you'll be able to cover. Depends on your fitness levels and how much browsing you do.

2. Yes, this is doable in a day depending on how much time you spend shopping.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM

What type of dinner (cuisine, price) are you looking for? There are many great options in Greenwich Village and the W. Village.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM
MaureenB

Thanks, everyone! I agree that it's good to just let our feet guide us, but we don't want to be walking one block over from a fabulous cobblestoned street, and missing it. For meals, we're a family of two adults and two young adults. We'd prefer grilled fish, steak, and Italian. Not too pricey, but mid- to upper-end for dinners. We won't be returning to the hotel and dressing for dinner, as we'll be out walking all day.
>-

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Oy Vey.

You need to spring for a guide book. Check out Frommers.

When I lived in NYC my favorite walk was Broadway-Chelsea-Village-SoHo-Little Italy-Chinatown-Brooklyn Bridge-Wall Street.

Enjoy.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:05 AM
MaureenB

"Oy vey"?? What do you mean?

BTW, we do have two guidebooks, but nothing beats Fodorites' personal recommendations.

Thanks again.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM

I believe "Oy Vey!" refers to what most of us are thinking. What you are asking for is just not realistic for anyone to provide without knowing a bunch of variables ... plus, as I indicated earlier, it defeats the purpose of exploring New York on foot.

I suggest a "compromise" of sorts. Map out your proposed route and timing, then return with more specific questions, e.g., "We expect to be on lower Broadway at lunchtime and we like Chinese food, so where should we eat?"

Good luck!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM
MaureenB

Gekko, I'm surprised you know what 'most people' are thinking! Seriously, though, what I'm asking for IS a proposed route and timing, with restaurants along the way. If I knew a route and timing, I wouldn't be asking, non?
>-

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM

I'm with Gekko--serendipitously is the way to discover "your New York."

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:24 AM

<< We'd like to spend this day seeing 'old New York' with cobblestone streets, brownstones, funky boutiques, parks and squares, historic architecture. 1. Visit Ground Zero, walk through Wall Street, Tribeca and SoHo, the East Village and NYU, with plenty of time investigating Greenwich Village, and probably have a late dinner there. >>

From your hotel (North End Ave?) walk south to the World Financial Center marina. Walk east through the plaza and enter the Winter Garden (featuring palm trees). This space was heavily damaged when the WTC fell and the original palm trees died. Walk up the wide steps for a great overlook of the WTC site. This spot used to be the begining of a pedestrian bridge to the WTC complex. (Look to the far right (south) and you will see an existing pedestrian bridge for which you are heading.)

Follow signs to the right through the building complex (Two World Financial Center, then into One World Financial Center) to the South Bridge. This bridge ends along the southern edge of the site (Liberty St) where there are a number of displays mounted on the surrounding fence, describing original construction, the attack, and listing those who were lost that day.

Continue walking east to Broadway. Turn right (south) and a few blocks down visit Trinity Chapel (Aleaxander Hamilton is in the graveyard) and Wall St which is opposite.

Head back up Broadway (north) to Fulton St and St Paul's Chapel (George Washington's church and rest stop for many WTC rescue workers).

Continue north on Broadway. At Barclay St is the Woolworth Building (once the tallest in the world) and City Hall Park and City Hall opposite.

North of City Hall, veer west on any side street to West Broadway. You are now in Tribeca. Walk north along West Broadway, taking in side streets as you like.

Continue north on West Broadway and cross Canal St. Now you are in Soho. Walk north along West Broadway, taking in side streets as you like.

Continue north on West Broadway and cross Houston (pronounced How-ston) St. Now you are in Greenwich Village. Walk north along Laguardia Place (the continuation of West Broadway) which ends at Washington Square Park.

You might walk along the south side of the park, or take a left (west) on Bleecker St before reaching the Park.

Two alternate routes:

1) Take Bleecker St left (west) through the center of the Village--shops, clubs, bars. You can follow it across 6th Ave (Ave of the Americas) where it angles slightly north. This begins the West Village. You'll pass John's Pizzeria before you reach 7th Ave. Across Seventh you can enjoy more quaint streets with cute little houses. If you go this way, I'd recommend turning west on Grove St, looking at the truly skinny houses on Bedford St near Grove and checking out the house in the mews (Grove Court?) on the left just before you hit Hudson St (8th Ave). Continue northish on Bleecker or Hudson to West 10th or West 11th St and turn right (east). Follow these back east, through the central village, past some of the prettiest and more expensive little houses in Greenwich Village (bet 5th and 6th). (If you take 11th St, you'll have to go south to 10th St since the street doesn't go through at Broadway.)

Keep going all the way to 2nd Ave, the main drag of the East Village. Second Ave and the side streets (10th, 9th, St Marks, 7th, 6th, 5th, and more) are full of fun little shops nad restaurants.

2) Washington Sq South is also West 4th St. This is NYU territory--their large library and main campus is just east of Laguardia along the park.

Walk into the park and walk north to the Washington Square Arch located at the foot of 5th Ave. Note the nice townhouses along the north side of the park, many owned by NYU. Walk north a short block and turn right into the Washington mews, a street of carriage houses, many now owned by NYU. When you come out of the mews, you are facing an NYU dorm. Turn north on Univeristy Pl and walk a short block to 8th St. Turn right (east) and walk along a shopping street, cross Broadway, pass the big black cube at Lafayette St and give it a spin. 8th St does odd things here--over a span of three blocks it changes its name to Astor Place and then St Marks Place (at 3rd Ave). St Marks Place is a teenagers delight, with T-shirt shops and other stuff parents may not like them to buy--but they'll have ball. Second Ave and the side streets (10th, 9th, St Marks, 7th, 6th, 5th, and more) are full of fun little shops and restaurants.

Is this what you were hoping for? This could take all day or a few hours, depending how much meandering you do off the path. I encourage meandering.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM

I would highly recommend doing a Big Onion walking tour. They last about 2 hours, and you can choose nearly any neighborhood in the city. The Greenwich Village or the Financial District tour would give you a big dose of old New York.

I think you'll have a hard time doing all the neighborhoods in one day that you mention in your fist point. Can you prioritize?
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Wow ... I rest my case.

A Flashmaps of NYC and a specific list of questions ... are your friends!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
MaureenB

Ellenem, you are amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to give me specific directions. That's exactly what I was hoping for. I'm pretty bad at following maps, but your information will be a great guide. We will meander for the most part, but it helps to have a skeleton 'tour'. Thank you!

Anyone able to give similar directions for midtown and above?
>-

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Glad you find this helpful.

If you walked this route and didn't meander or stop, it might take as little as two hours. Meandering and browsing and stopping, it could take all day or many days.

When I see a lost family on the street in the East Village, I'll be sure to set you on your way.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM
MaureenB

Ellenem, thanks again. It's very helpful to have a time reference. On the map, it looks like a lot of territory. Good to know we can do it in a day, and take our time. We'll try not to look like lost country-cousins, so you may not be able to pick us out!
>-