Search

Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii

I have read so many negative things about Honolulu that I'm wondering if it's worth the cost to go there. Is there a lot of crime and how are the locals towards the tourists?
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Honolulu is hectic. But, it is worth visiting the island. I thought Oahu was becautiful. Most people visit Oahu to at least visit Pearl Harbour. But, there are also beautiful beaches, good snorkeling, Japanese temples, and just gorgeous scenic beauty in and around Oahu.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM

I had the same thoughts regarding Oahu... why go to a busy metropolitan area in beautiful Hawaii when its noted for its natural beauty.... however... Waikiki and the surrounding area has its own special magic... we spent 4 days at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, surfing at Dukes on the Beach, and enjoying the atmosphere as well as using the hotel as a home base for touring the island.... It was a busy but great 4 days and a great introduction to Oahu... do it at least once!
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:25 AM

My first choice would be Maui.
If you go to Oahu, I would stay in the North Shore area. Very beautiful.
If you stay in Honolulu, Hilton Hawaiian Village would be a good choice. I, too enjoyed the Arizona Memorial. But, be advised, Honolulu is just another big city.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:32 AM

IMO if Hololulu is "just another big city" then Lahaina is "just another small town."

There are advantages for some people who travel to staying near or in the city and trhat means there are a LOT more things to see and do.

If you don't like being in a place like that then stay elsewhere.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Maybe the above poster's quote should read, "IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, be advised, Honolulu is just another big city." Honestly, I'm baffled by those type of comments. :-?

lighthouse, consider all opinions of those who travel to O'ahu. Many contributors to this board love traveling here. If you do a search, you will find much reading to keep you busy... trip reports are a great source of info.

Don't miss this thread that never seems to die...

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....1&tid=34515901

Aloha... and happy planning!! ps. I love O'ahu and can't wait for my next treck there! ><

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I absolutely love Honolulu. I've been twice in the past two years and will return this next winter. I have never experienced crime or bad attitude from anyone. I stay in Waikiki.

My cost is not that high, as I get great airline deals from Seattle, and stay at moderate hotels.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:28 AM

<Honolulu is just another big city.>

I could not disagree more strongly!! It is a magical place. I have never been ANYwhere else like it.

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:55 AM

lighthouse, I thought you already went to Oahu in September 2004?
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

MelissaHI

We did not get to go in 2004 because of the death of my father so we are trying to go again in 2007. I'm one of those people who have not been out of their element much and I have been going by what I have read on different sites. I appreciate everyones comments

Thanks
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Honolulu is a great cityu.

Oahu is a nice island.

Lots to do on Oahu:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I think the plane landing at Honolulu airport is one of the most exciting of any destination I've been. After a LONG ride over all that water, to see the island, and the city skyline below... it is simply breath-taking.

There are homeless people on the streets of Honolulu. None have ever bothered me, but it is disconcerting to see folks sleeping rough, in the parks, etc.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Count me in as another happy visitor to Honolulu! I agree that even at the airport you can feel embraced by the tradewinds and sense perfumed flowers in the air. Waikiki is busy, but you can choose to participate in the activities or not. My husband and I love to unwind on the weekends by walking down to Kapiolani Park. We sit in the grass with a view toward Diamond Head and just enjoy a few families or cyclists who have come to the park to relax. It's remarkable to think how close it is to the hubbub of Waikiki. The North Shore is marvelous too, but don't skip Honolulu. I think that crime is more likely to occur to the unwary. We've never had a problem, but we also don't make ourselves targets. Enjoy your trip and think of all the people who would love to be there in your place!
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM

If you look at a map of Oahu you will see that Honolulu is a small part of the island. The only palace in the US is in Honolulu as Dusty and others have said there is much to see and do on Oahu. It also has more beaches than any of the other islands and it costs less since it also is the most populated.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Aaaah, sorry lighthouse. Anyway, as many have opined here, Honolulu and Oahu are great to visit. Crime is no more different from any other metropolitan city. If you look at the threads on Oahu, you'll see that there is a ton of stuff to do, and you can find peaceful areas just 10 minutes in either direction out of the main metro area. As with any city--treat the locals and the culture with respect and they will do the same for you.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM

SOOO many people tried to talk my husband and I out of going to Honolulu when we were choosing two islands for our summer trip. We were told it was just "Las Vegas on the beach." For some reason, our gut feeling was to go there anyway (chose BI as the other island). We COULD NOT have loved it more. We even looked at housing prices there! There is something amazing about having a busy, convenient city right next to these snorkeling coves and mountain ranges and white-sand beaches. And Waikiki beach is just different. You forget you're in a city, though it's nice to be able to walk to so much activity. We felt safe everywhere. Locals are super-nice, as long as you're respectful.

Also, the eastern beaches and the north shore are heaven.

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Suze,
Could you suggest a few moderate hotels in a good area close to beaches and dining for the first-timers? thank you
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 05:58 AM

lighthouse, I'm not picking on you, but very little gets me angrier than people who complain about Honolulu being a big city, so I can't hold my tongue. It takes about two seconds of Googling to see that Oahu has a population 876,156 per the 2000 census. If this is not what you want out of a vaction to Hawaii then just skip it rather than going, hating it, and returning and talking trash about a lovely island that never could have met your expectations. As far as upsetting me, this group of people is closely followed by those who spend one day or even less than a day on Oahu just to see Pearl Harbor and form their opinion of the island based on seeing an industrial harbor and military base.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Merry -- those are the same people who told us to stay away from HNL. Everyone who warned us it was "too city" eventually admitted they had only flown through it on the way to Maui or stopped in to see Pearl Harbor. Maybe if they'd seen Sunset Beach or Kailua Bay they'd have a different opinion!
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM

My brother, a backpacking kind of guy, just spent a week on Oahu in a condo on the Diamond Head side of Waikiki. His wife is more of a shopping/ city girl. They did a combination of nature/hiking, museums and shopping and he had a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -