Help with Trip in Dec. to the New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help with organization of the things we want to do and see. We arrive on Sat 12-16th at 11:00 LGA we have tickets for Butley at 8:00 that night. We are staying at the Michelangelo (152 west 51st )We leave on Thurs. 12-20 at 5:00 pm from LGA)
These are the things we would like to see and do.
The Met.
Costume Institute at the Met.
Century 21 (for shopping)
St. Patrick's
Rockefeller Center
The Frick Collection
Ride the Staten Island ferry to take pictures of the Statue of Liberty
Empire State
And we have resv. for Tavern on the Green
Crystal room last night Tues. 12-19 at 9:30.
Soho
Central Park
also going for hot choc. at Serendipity
Could someone suggest the order that would be the best time saver
Thanks
Tissm
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:58 PM

I suggest you grab a good map and approach it geographically, keeping in mind how the subways run (if you plan to travel by subway).
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:44 PM

You may also want to grab a calendar. Dec 20 is a Wednesday. Check your tickets.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:11 AM

I would also suggest getting a map of the city so you know what attractions are close to your hotel and the other things you want to see and do.

Downtown is where Century 21, Staten Island Ferry, Wall St, Chinatown, Little Italy are located. I would suggest starting all the way downtown and work your way uptown. Century 21 is across the street from the World Trade Center so you might want to stop there for a few minutes as well. Century 21 is crazy with shoppers this time of year, so go EARLY in the day.

Also you might want to stop at St. Paul's Chappel to see the rememberance to 9/11 and that is just a block away on Broadway from the WTC.

I'd also suggest dropping Serendipity from your list, as the lines this time of year are out the door, and it's really not that good.

I can recommend the chocolate factory at Union Square, Max on Broadway just south of 14th St.

Also right at Union Square is a huge Filene's and DSW Shoes, great shopping there. There is also a Christmas fair there as well, and 2 more in Manhattan at Bryant Park (42nd and 6th Ave) and Grand Central Station, all worth a bit of your time.

The Christmas windows are always fun and you might try Macy's, Saks, Lord and Taylor and Barney's.

A fun 99cent store in Herald Square might also be worth a few minutes, great place for stocking stuffers, Jacks on 32nd and 6th, just around the corner from Manhattan Mall, Daffy's and Macy's all in Herald Square (34th and 6th)

Hope this helps, HAPPY HOLLIDAYS!!!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:28 AM

Helps for me!!!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Since your hotel is on 51st St I'd stick to midtown for that first afternoon - from your list that would be Rockefeller center and St Pats. Obviously while in the area you'd want to window shop. You might be able to fit in the Empire State Building that day, you could at least see how long the lines are. Another option is instead to go to the top of the Rock, where you can schedule your time and not wait on line as long.

The next day is Sunday which might be your best day for Century 21. It opens at 10am that day. City Hall Park, St Pauls, WTC site are all in that area and could be done before 10 if you are an early riser. Then do the Staten Island Ferry. If you still have time that day other interesting things to do downtown include South St Seaport and the Brooklyn Bridge. The whole downtown area will be less crowded on Sunday as the office workers won't be there. All of NYC will be so crowded that week that you might want to do a little to limit how much time you spend in mega-crowds.

The next day is Monday, I'd do the museums that day (Frick and Met are near each other), and Central Park is right there.

Then Tuesday you could do Soho and while in that area add on the Village and/or China Town. I think that's your last day if you are really leaving the 20th.

The idea about the christmas Markets is a good one. If you decide not to go to century 21 on Sunday, it opens at 7:45 on Weekdays and you'd best get there then. Have a great time.

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Sat.
check in and walk to Fifth Ave. to see Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's, Rockefeller Center. Saks Fifth Ave. is also right there but their Xmas snowflake light display doesn't start til 4:30 or so. Go up to Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center observatory). Make reservations for dinner on this night especially. Sat. nights are busy. Decide whether you want to eat before or after the show. menupages.com for research.

Sun.
Go to the Frick (70th st. & Fifth Ave.) From there have a walk through the park. Maybe brunch at the Boat House. Walk some more through the park. Make sure to stop at Wollman rink to watch the skaters

Mon
Head downtown EARLY to get to Century 21 when they open (around 7 am) Do some shopping then head over to take the Staten Island ferry. From there you can head to Soho if you're not too tired.

Tues.
Head to the Met. When you're finished, take the Fifth Ave. bus back to midtown. If you're not too tired and depending on the hour, you could ride it to 34 st. and go to ESB at this point and maybe hit sunset.

Wed.
Shopping or maybe a walking tour? Greenwich Village maybe?

The hot chocolate people talk about at Serendipity is FROZEN hot chocolate (an ice cream thing). Just a heads up. Serendipity is very close to Bloomingdales. Since they only take reservations for a full meal and most people only go for dessert, you could give them your name, go over to Bloomies for a shop and come back. OR, just go for a casual lunch or dinner there and make the reservation.

I hope you realize Tavern on the Green is considered by many to be a real tourist trap with overpriced food and bad service. If you do a text search you'll find lots of debate. You might consider a dinner cruise for one night. Bateaux NY is very nice but there are a few options like World Yacht and sail-nyc.com

One of the BEST restaurants in New York is right near your hotel, Le Bernardin. It's seafood/French and everyone who goes there adores it. You could probably have an early dinner there one night.

Here's a link to the Holiday Guide from NY Magazine. Not sure it's as good as in previous years, but will give you some info on displays etc.
http://nymag.com/guides/holidays/index.html

You might also check the calendar at nycvisit.com for the dates you're here and see if anything strikes your fancy.

I wouldn't consider Century 21 on a weekend. Both the Frick and the Met are closed on Mondays. MOMA is not far from your hotel btw.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Just another opinion...I live in NYC, we like Tavern on the Green. Good American food, a fun place esp. if you sit in Crystal Room, decent pricing for NYC. It' fun, not ultra. Call again to try to get an earlier reservation. That's kinda late even for NYC. The usually have cancellations. Yes, we have eaten several times at Le Bernardin. You will pay more than $100 per person for dinner. The food is excellent but not everybody likes their seafood rare. It is a special experience. Unless you are a real foodie I don't think it is what I would want after a day of busy touring. I have never understood the Serendipity thing. To me its chocolate ice cream in a crowded place.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:47 AM

The cuisine at Le Cirque is much more accessible than that at Le Bernardin.

(nd the red snapper at LC is better than any fish LB offers.)

www.lecirque.com
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Wow this isn't even my thread and it has been so helpful.mclaurie and everyone thanks.It's getting close to our trip and I'm getting excited!!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Head down to Brooklyn for a day.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:12 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to NYC for the first time a couple of years back. I think we did most of the typical touristy stuff...Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, bus tour, Guggenheim etc. I have made an interactive Google map of NYC that might be of some help to you as you can see where the different places are located. You can find the map on http://gardkarlsen.com/new_york_city_google_map.htm . Remember that you can zoom in and out, click on the markers, go to satelite image etc Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:19 PM

Thanks gard and Nikki., I will use your google map. We are leaving on Dec. 15 to visit colleges, and even though we have been to NYC, there is always something we missed.