Search

New Year in Times Square

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year in Times Square

Dear all
My in-laws are visiting New York for New Year and are determined to see the ball drop in Times Square.

From other sources on the web it looks like if they actually want to be in the heart of Times Square they will need to be there in the late afternoon (about 5pm) to secure a spot.

I have pointed out to them that from what I have read that once they are in there, that is it, they can't leave and come back and there are no toilets etc. I know the weather isn't too cold at the moment but that could be a factor as well.

Any advice, tips, things they should and shouldn't do from fodorites who've been.

Many thanks
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 04:22 AM

Just last night I heard a radio talk show host say that he and his wife wanted to see the ball drop, but didn't want to go into those "pens" because his wife didn't feel too well. They decided to go - late, like 9:30 - to the Carnegie Deli and see what would happen. Well, it was nearly empty because everyone was being herded into the pens. They dawdled over soup, sandwich, dessert. The staff did not mind because there were very few people inside. Around 11:50 they went outside (the staff did too) and watched the ball drop from the sidewalk. The cops didn't mind because they were mostly staff from the deli. They said it was a "straight shot" visually, they loved it, left the area without having to be "let out of their pens", were back to their hotel room by 12:25.

Don't know if this is actually possible, just what I heard...any locals?
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Joan's report sounds very plausible (and amazing). Now that it's been posted here, I wonder how crowded Carnegie deli might get.

There are some restaurants that have views of the ball, but they're very expensive and may be already booked. Have heard the Olive Garden isn't bad. Have they seen this page?
http://www.timessquarenyc.org/nye/nye_faq.html

What they shouldn't do is stand in pens for all those hours. It's really just for
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Five pm is really too late to get very close. If they can find a way to get into a restaurants that late (that is it's not included in a closed pen yet - they may be able to pull this off. But - if the weather continues warm the crowd will likely be larger than the usual one million.

Also - be aware that the subways inside the penned in area are closed until after the ball drops - so they will need to walk in and out.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Hi:

This may be one of the most overrated things I have ever done. Of course it was freezing the year we went. It was very crowded, very cold, and very boring. Once we had our spot pretty close to the front (arrived by about 6:00 PM), we had to take turns leaving to use the potty so we could save our spots, and we were by far the most sober people around. (This was 1996 I think, maybe 1997 whichever was freezing! Those med school years run together...) We vowed the next time we decide to go to New York to watch the ball drop we will splurge for the Marriott Marquis! Ice skating in Rockefeller Center on New Year's Eve was more of a highlight of the trip then watching the ball drop.
Kristen
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:50 PM

I completely agree with having a nice dinner north of Times Square and wandering over to six or more blocks north just before midnight.

Mild temps are forecasted. Even so, a significant number of folks "give up" and the crowds are moved south in those "pens".

The views many blocks up on 7th Avenue (as opposed to Broadway, which curves) are just fine.

My recommendation would be to make a dinner reservation for 10PM, east of 7th Ave, so as to enjoy a leisurely dinner before wandering over to 7th Ave just before midnight. Highly recommend Langan's, La Prima Donna, Beacon. Best bet is to find an appealing restaurant with good food, but not an outrageously inflated prix fixe menu.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas so far. Much appreciated
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Dear Fodorites

Your help is needed!

We are a British family (2 adults, 2 children aged 9 and 13) visiting New York for the first time from 27th Dec to 2nd Jan. We are staying at the Westin Hotel, Times Square and wondered whether anyone could help us with suggestion as to what to do on New Years eve. We do not want to go to Times Square and be trapped there. Our hotel does not have a view of celebrations. Perhaps some suggestions of a lovely, mid priced restaurant (an early dinner/late lunch) and then after strolling back to hotel and generally just soaking up atmosphere without actually being trapped in Times Square.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Britfamily, you should really repost your question separately so it won't get buried here.

When you say early dinner/late lunch, what time do you mean? I ask first b/c not all restaurants serve all day long (some close b/w lunch and dinner) and the time you want to eat could affect choice of rest. Also, if you eat early, what do you plan to do all night? Stay in your room?

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Dinner in Times Square that night will be extremely overpriced. THis weekend, my husband and I saw a sign on the Olive Garden that it would cost $300 a person for their NYE party!