Broadway: What does "in previews" mean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my daughter and our foreign exchange student to NYC in April. I see that the new musical version of Legally Blonde will be "in previews" from April 3 -29, and Opening Night will be 4/29. What does "in previews" mean? Can we go see the show then? Are the tickets less expensive? Fewer shows per week? (No showtimes on the website yet and it doesn't allow ticket purchases.) We will be home again by the 29th.
Also, if one has visited the Store Formerly Known as Marshall Fields in Chicago several times, is Macy's in NYC worth a visit or just more of the same?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:39 PM

In previews basically means that there hasn't been an official opening yet, or more specifically it won't be reviewed by critics until the official opening night. Sometimes a few minor changes are made to a show in previews, but that is fairly rare these days. Generally the show is no different that after the official opening. The tickets aren't cheaper but may have discounts available.

Tickets will go on sale via Ticketmaster on February 25th. Check with Playbill.com or Broadwaybox.com for discounts about that time. Don't hesitate about seeing a show in previews, especially since that's your only time.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. I can count on Fodorites for the information I need. I have found a lot of good NYC info on this board, and I am sure I will have a few more questions as the trip gets closer. Thanks again.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Another theatre site is www.theatermania.com. You can
either use Telecharge (w/their surcharge) or take a chance & print
out the info page & take to the box office to buy tickets. Ex. of discount
might be $66.25 - $86.25 tickets for
$36.25 - 60.75.
If you do opt for Macy's go to 2nd fl.
Customer Desk to get Visitor's Disc.
coupon. Same for Lord & Taylor.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:25 AM

I don't remember how big Marshall Fields is, but Macy's is humongous. It's not my favorite store but visitors to NYC seem to have very good luck there since they carry such a wide selection of mainstream brands (and give that visitors discount). While I like Lord & Taylor, I'm not aware they offer the visitor's discount but Bloomingdales does.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Rhea, just for the record and to avoid confusion, each theatre uses either Telecharge or Ticketmaster exclusively -- you can't buy tickets from one if the other is the exclusive agency for a particular show. Legally Blonde has given the rights to Ticketmaster, so that's where you'd have to get the tickets if not at the box office in person (no individual box office sales by phone).
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 02:07 AM

Mea culpa, Patrick. What I should have said is that one must use
a service company that has added-on charges if one buys
on-line or by telephone. No
extras in person.
That cover it?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Sure. Sorry, wasn't being critical of your answer, just didn't want someone calling Telecharge to try to get tickets for Legally Blonde.

How I wish NYC was like London, where you can call the theatre's own box office in advance and reserve tickets with little or no service charge at all instead of those $8 to $12 charge charges per ticket with Ticketmaster and Telecharge.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:54 AM

No prob Patrick. I wonder did you
have to pay extra for your passel of tickets next week?
Forgot to mention, Mclaurie, that
L & T does have coupons. One
has to go to the offices to obtain
them. They are different than Macy's
as they are not constantly same value. Just found this out myself for a couple of visiting firemen coming in next week.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:59 AM

I forgot about the coupons, Rhea. Actually, I don't think those require you be a visitor. If you're on their regular mailing list there are always discounts, but to my knowledge it's not an across the board amount.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM

Just got tickets for Legally Blonde for October on Boradway. Does anyone know anything good or bad about the show? Where is it currently playing? Ha ha, I know, should have checked before we purchased but my friend who booked it is the anxious sort, and was orried that we wouldn't get good seats if we waited.

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM

It opened on the west coast to very good reviews.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM

<<Sometimes a few minor changes are made to a show in previews, but that is fairly rare these days. Generally the show is no different that after the official opening. The tickets aren't cheaper but may have discounts available.>>

Though I usually highly regard Patrick's observations and comments,
"Previews" are one of the few times when the ticket prices through the usual vendors (Telecharge, Ticketmaster) are full price and there are rarely any discount codes, but plenty of good seats at TKTS.

For example, we attended "previews" of The Graduate, Boy From Oz, Gypsy (with Bernadette), Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf (with Kathleen Turner), and many others.

I've seen many, many shows in "preview" (in NYC and also in Boston) then again some months later. The "changes" have been considerable, and always significant. BUT, if we hadn't attended both versions, we'd never have known the difference.

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM

Haven't seen it, but Legally Blonde I think is still playing in San Francisco. As the poster above noted, the reviews have been good.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:07 AM

I beg to differ Donna & can only speak for NYC. Previews are cheaper as the play is being tweaked. One can get on the e-mail
lists & there are constant offers.
Or, join www.tdf.com for a small fee.
Currently, I have one subscription
for matinee seats that are $27
wherein I have seen Apple Tree
among others. 110 in the Shade
w/Audra McDonald is slated shortly.
Saw Howard Katz yesterday which
is quite good but would not recommend if one wants a "feel good" play.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:07 AM

I'll have to disagree with djkbooks about availability of discounted tickets during previews. Discounted tickets are frequently available during previews. The many mailings I receive verify that!
At the same time, however, I'll also have to disagree with Rhea58. Because a show is in previews doesn't automatically mean that there'll be discounts!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 05:44 AM

Howard you are right. I did not mean
to infer ALL show are in previews,
but many times they are.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 05:59 AM

"Though I usually highly regard Patrick's observations and comments,
"Previews" are one of the few times when the ticket prices through the usual vendors (Telecharge, Ticketmaster) are full price and there are rarely any discount codes, but plenty of good seats at TKTS."

Huh, djbooks?

Currently there are discount codes for preview tickets for the following:
Legally Blonde, Pirate Queen, Nixon/Frost, Talk Radio, Curtains, Deuce, Journey's End, Prelude to a Kiss -- well let's just say everything. In fact I couldn't find a single show going into previews that DIDN'T have discount tickets avaialble. There may be one or two, but I couldn't find them. I'd suggest if you've been paying full price for preview tickets through Telecharge or Ticketmaster or the box office, you've been spending money unnecessarily. As Howard suggests, there is no guarantee that a show in preview will have discount tickets -- but they generally do -- and certainly at the present time they all (or nearly all) certainly do!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:54 AM

Gotta agree with Patrick. MOST shows have discount tix in previews. The only ones that don't are those with a BIG star(s) or something that's already been a huge hit elsewhere (like London). I think the ones mentioned by djkbooks fit into those categories.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:04 AM

Well, I was indeed surprised that Deuce, the new show starring Angela Lansbury and Marian Seldes, offered discounts for previews and performances.

After posting above I thought about 110 in the Shade, the upcoming Roundabout production starring Audra MacDonald, but looking on Broadway Box I found that even it has discount codes for previews.

But I think I did find one -- the big London hit of Moon for the Misbegotten with Kevin Spacey so far does not show any discount codes. It goes into previews on March 29 and opens on April 8. Perhaps there will still be discount codes for previews and shows, but so far not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -