Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

13 yr old wants knockoff purse in NYC..yikes!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 13 yr old and 16 yr old will be going with me to NYC in April. We're planning to do touristy things, have tickets to "Rent" and all that fun stuff. However, baby daughter has a friend whose Mom gave a guy 20 bucks and later had a purse in hand. I told her no way, but she won't listen. I will print your responses....this sounds 1)illegal ) 2) dangerous 3) spooky please help!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM

No, it's not spooky or dangerous (and jaywalking is illegal, to let the one without sin cast the first stone).

In my experience with NYC visitors, knock-off merchandise is fun to shop for if you go to Chinatown and buy from vendors with shops. Canal Street between Broadway & Mulberry has dozens of options.

(The other way to buy knockoffs ain't as fun -- the guys on the street corners with big black santa bags filled with stuff.)

Here's a lunch/afternoon your teens will love. Start at Lombardi's, the best pizza in New York, on Spring Street between Mott & Mulberry.

Then walk south on Mulberry through the "heart" of Little Italy.

Turn right (west) on Canal and start your shopping. When you get to Broadway, turn right (north) and visit both Pearl River Mart & Yellow Rat Bastard (your teens will probably love YRB).

Enjoy!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM

While in NYC you will see loads of people (in broad daylight) on the street selling knockoff purses (scarves, jewelry, watches, etc.).
There is nothing dangerous or spooky about it - and I think buying them is perfectly legal (though the manufacturing is probably illegal).

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM

typo .. "so let the one without sin cast the first stone" ...

(Some hypocrites might chime in that knock-offs support terrorists or whatnot. Rubbish. Ignore them & enjoy!)
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Gekko gave you some great ideas. There are also guys with tables selling knockoff bags in the Rockefeller Center area - I can give you the corners where they are if you're interested. It's not remotely dangerous, at least to the buyer, but the seller can get busted by the cops.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Another viewpoint here. There have been a lot of threads where people have discussed the ethics of buying knock-offs, with those who say it's OK using the reasoning of Gekko, and those who are against arguing about the links to terrorism to the questions of supporting counterfeit merchandisers and the harm that does to the real designers. I've bought fakes before, but after reading up on it, I probably wouldn't do it again. And no, I'm far from perfect and I've been known to jaywalk, but it's just your personal threshold, what you're comfy with.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Some will tell you that buying knock-off items supports illegal vendors who do not pay taxes.

If that is true I certainly hope all those folks who are concerned about the number of illegal aliens in the US who don't pay taxes, etc., etc., aren't running around with knock-offs under their arms or over their shoulders, or backs, or feet...
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Here we go .. as anticipated.

LLindaC, tourists & residents alike have been buying "fake" goods in NYC since my father was a child here. I bought my first fake Rolex with my dad when I was 12 years old .. a story we still tell .. and what harm was done (I own a real one now)?

Enjoy!

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
placeu2, LLindaC wasn't asking if it was "right" to buy a knock-off. She was asking if it was illegal, spooky, or dangerous. Two entirely different things.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

gee thank you suki! I now understand that it is not illegal for the buyer, just the seller. Personally, I've seen them but never paid attention because I don't give a hoot about designer purses. And yes, my 13 yr old listens to me, I thought I'd get the experts opinions. fyi.. placeu2, I have 2 honor students both in advanced programs who are great kids. The little one also volunteers in nursing homes for animal therapy with her G'mas poodle. She evidently knew this was legal, I was the worried one. Mea Culpa.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:57 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090200826.html

If you insist on doing this, the one thing you should not do is go to some backroom in Chinatown with some person you don't know to see "the good stuff."

There are loads of bags being sold midtown on every street corner. I don't think they're any different than the cr*p sold downtown.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mclaurie, that was an interesting article! Like I said, I've seen this stuff everywhere but had no interest. She got a real Dooney&Bourke last year for XMas, but that's ALL she got, lol. I just don't get it. But I'm not 13.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Geko,

You said..."Some hypocrites might chime in that knock-offs support terrorists or whatnot. Rubbish."

Do some research....the link between counterfit goods and organized crime (Domestic and International) is very real.

I don't care if you choose to ignore the data and buy the goods, but don't call it "rubbish"...
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I would not knowlingly buy knock offs of any type. Just against it in principal. I'm happy to buy what I like -- and can afford.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM

I've done my "research" and spoken with a fellow attorney who is an AUSA in the SDNY who says if you buy a fake bag in Chinatown you are NOT "supporting terrorism."

Like I said, such claims are rubbish.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM

"knock-offs support terrorists"

Funniest thing I read today.
Thanks for the laugh.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Geko,

I hope you and your OTHER lawyer friend don't do any intellectual property law....do some MORE research, especially with regard to Chinese Organized Crime, The bombing of the World Trade Center '93....here's a good starter article for you and your friend:

http://tinyurl.com/285w3m
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 02:07 PM

"you are NOT "supporting terrorism.""

No, just sweatshops with slave-like conditions. And you are stealing money out of the hands of all the people who created the original products and use non-slave-like labor to produce the purses.

When you buy a "designer" purse on the cheap, you are stealing and encouraging sweatshops. That should be all the incentive a parent needs to prevent smart kids from wanting to steal and encourage inhumane working conditions.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM

You don't think original creators used sweat shops?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Some like Kate Spade or Gucci probably isn't using sweatshops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -