Grand Central Station- for food/and or fun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the Oyster bar- is it still good?
I have been told about other restaurants in the station. If so are they any good?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM

Therre's a food court with a ton of different basic places. Haven't been to Oyster Bar is years - so don;t know how good it is.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM

I can't comment on the Oyster Bar because I haven't eaten there, but you're right, there are other restaurants in Grand Central Terminal, take a look at this website: http://grandcentralterminal.com
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:41 PM
sistahlou

I DO NOT like the Oyster Bar....preshelled oysters were so very yucky last time I tried - about a year ago. Anything else we tried was only memorable in the fact that we would be returning no time soon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad review.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM

On the lower level of Grand Central, there are several restaurants, some with table service. I had lunch recently at Zocolo, which is a decent Mexican place.

If you go onto the main level, you have Metrazur, which is run by Charlie Palmer of Aureole fame. Again, it's not bad. (There is also a Michael Jordan's Steakhouse and one other spot whose name escapes me.)

If you go up the escalator's into the Pan Am - sorry Met Life Building - you have Tropica, Naples 45, Cafe Centro, and one other spot that I've had lunch at but forget the name. Naples best attribute is the outdoor tables when the weather is nice. Their pizza's are good.

Most of these places have been around for several years which means they are viewed as dependable as they get the bulk of their business from the office workers nearby.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM

Oyster Bar for clam chowder and maybe some oysters. That's about all. Metrazur nice, Two Boots pizza good. Junior's for cheesecake good. Tropica good.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM

I go to the Oyster Bar relatively frequently. Frankly, the only good option is to take a seat at the 100 year old counter, order some chowder and one of their sandwiches, and then move on. If you are just a couple of people that is a great option. If you are four or more then you won't be so comfortable sitting and talking at the counter seats. The counter has, in addition to the regular and very extensive menu, a separate "counter only" menu consisiting of about a dozen sandwiches and the like. The same sandwiches are also actually available at a small take out window, on the side of the restaurant's main entrance. Their shrimp Po Boy, with spicy mayonnaise, on a bun is excellent, as is their crab salad and tuna burger. The chowder is usually very good but, on some days it is not equal to others. The table menu is actually very expensive, with many dishes reaching easily into the $20+ per plate range. And, while the fish is exceedingly fresh, the food itself is only OK and rather basic. And, it is also very loud. They also have an excellent and extensive, and reasonably priced, wine list. In short, go for the counter if want to go. It is a great old NYC space which looks the same over these 100 years.

None of the other restaurants in Grand Central are worthwhile frankly, unless you are a captive in the building. There are many other options nearby which are way better for food, price and quality.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM

The Campbell Apartments are interesting. But I work in the Met Life building, and trust me, the Grand Central Food Court is not a destination. It is a place to get food to go if you work in the building or have to catch a train. If you must, Two Boots pizza is not bad. The BBQ place next to it is also acceptable. But if the weather is nice, I don't eat there, and I work in the building.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM

Metrazur overlooking the central passageway of Grand Central, has acceptable dinner food, and a tourist might like seeing rush hour traffic through there for dinner. I did this once when I was tired after work. Again, no food here is a destination worth seeking out, as food.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM

Sorry for the triple post - the Oyster bar is unacceptable. High prices and low quality. There is absolutely no reason to go there.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:43 AM

If you aren't on a restricted budget, I'd head to to the Time Warner Center and do shopping/eating over there as opposed to GCS. I know it's not the same side of town, but I'm just going from what you seem to be looking for.

I don't eat seafood, but I hear the Oyster Bar has a good wine list.