NYC Weekend: Hotel Giraffe, Theater, Restaurants and unexpected art

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for many recommendations- we had a great weekend in NYC - notes separated so you can skip to parts that might interest you more -

Friday AmtrackAcella from Boston to NYC -

and again, we had an excellent and delightful trip in with no delays and no problems - I know there are those who have said they dislike the train and have experienced delays,but this is at least the 12th time we have taken the Acella in the past two years and have never been delayed - wiated about 15 minutes in th taxi line and were off to the Giraffe Hotel

Hotel Giraffe
365 Park Ave South
hotelgiraffe.com

We have stayed here several times before b/c it is near our daughters apt and it only gets better- we just love the hotel and entire area - rooms are always immaculate, soft,comfie robes and slippers, comfortable beds and pillows, balcony, great ceiling to floor thick automatic window shade so the room is dark and quiet - the all day complimentary cappucino, cafe au lait, espresso, coffee/tea/juice/cookies/fruit/etc in comfortable and quiet lobby with choice of couches, upholstered chairs, table and chairs, one set up w/ chess, one table w/ a laptop for guests (altho free wifi throughout), and the bar with all the complimenary breakfast, all day refreshments above and the wine, cheese, champagne and piano music from 5-8pm - highly recommend this hotel

You can also order from Barna Restaurant next to it and have it served to you at one of the lobby table/sitting areas if you pefer.

Incredible staff always makes us feel like we are coming home- from the doorman to front desk to the room maids to maintenance staff - all so friendly and helpful -

Depending on what you are doing, this might not be your first choice location - when we are doing three straight days of Broadway shows, we stay at the Michelangelo which we also love - but this is a great spot.

Rewind to arrival

...passing Madison Square Park we see the tall stainless steel arms of some sculpture reaching into the air so as quick as we can check in, drop our bags and walk over to see what is up -

Madison Square Park/Art Installation:

It’s a fabulous installation being done by artist Roxy Paine, he has done others before in the city, and we sat and watched the installation - the smaller model set out on the table, the artists running back and forth to the model and up and down in the buckets welding pieces together - it is two huge 40’ tall trees made of staiinless steel, set apart and the branches reach out and touch the other, - titled Cojoined- and another installation of a stainless boulder (Erratic) and soon to be added another tree in a different spot (oops, name escapes me) - they’ll be up for six months so if you are in the city walk by and enjoy- it doesn’t hurt they are in the same park as the Shake Shack

Dinner at Marseilles -

(44th and 9th)our third time here and we thoroughly enjoyed it again -we think the food is fabulous -

Our table was not ready when we arrived, so we went to the bar - where we enjoy a glass of one of my favortie wines -Chateau La Bastide Magaux Dauzac 2001- 18 a glass but absolutely worth every sip -- it was fifteen minutes until our table was ready, so I was glad I had left extra time in the ‘schedule’ for eating and a stroll to the theater - rather have my stroll cut short than having to eat fast -

Husband had the prix fixe for 28 of salad, Moroccan chicken with pistachios over swiss chard and berries with cream for dessert - I had an amazing salad special that had every thing I love in it including rhubarb, fennel and blood oranges - followed by Veal Scallopine lemon-orange over braised swiss chard - the veal was thin, tasty, the tastes together were perfect and there was not a spot left on either of our plates -

Now,for dessert b/c our table was delayed they sent over some after dinner drinks and along with my husbands berries, my chocolate flourless cake with THE most memorable peanut butter ice cream I’ve ever had - they also delivered an order of their beignets with chocolate and raspberry sauce and Oh, how I LOVE their beignets

Altar Boyz -

So yes, we waddle/stroll to the show - something we’ve never seen over the years and ordered discounted tix on Broadwaybox.com - and the night I did it I was so tired and grabbed the seats they put up which were front row -

although now that I’ve seen the space and the show I would advise NOT sitting in the front row - aside from the fact you could be the recipient of totally unintentional but unavoidable sweat and spit during the performance, I would rather be able to see the dancing from at least four or five more rows back and the space is small enough I would say there is ALMOST not a bad seat in the house - you’d be able to see the actors, dancing, etc from all vantage points EXCEPT I watched the group in the orchestra right, first row and they had to keep their heads turned to the left the entire time and this would drive me crazzzzy - there was a rather large prop in front of those next to the wall too - so I would avoid being orchestra right in the first or second row at all at or if you had to be, to get the first two seats off the aisle - but I’d much rather be at least the 2nd to 3rd row back -

We enjoyed the show -it was fun, the performers we saw were excellent, good voices, humorous songs, fun dance moves, some great laughs - such non-stop dancing I was exhausted just watching them all !

Macys Flower Windows !

WOW even at night. By accident, didn’t know this was even happening - fabulous windows full of fresh flowers in artistic design and setting - just a breathtaking sight lit up at night looking so colorful and making you feel happy and that Spring is here ! Wish I had time to see it during the day - will make sure I see this next year - why have I never heard of this?? must invesitage more......

Saturday
More eating and theater

The Giraffe offers a great complimentary continental breakfast in the lobby
for five dollars a person they will deliver to your room and we are totally lazy, slept until the ridiculous (for us) hour of 9:30 and do just that while we get ready - the tray comes up with freshly squeezed oj, a huge bowl of fresh fruit, bagels, mini muffins, sweet pastry, coffee and tea-

We take our walk and meet our daughter at the Lyric deli, for our lunch and her breakfast - our son flew in from college to meet up with us - and everyone enjoyed their milkshakes, corned beef sandwiches, omelettes, fries, spanikopita w/ greek salad -

then we are all off again to Madison Park to watch the art installation for awhile - and then we walk to Union Square - and b/c the kids are with the parents we shop for hours---- for sneakers, jeans, shirts, all sorts of new clothes ...some things never change but that’s ok and we had fun !

Wine/cheese back in the Giraffe Lobby until we head down to Tribeca to Azafran for dinner before a show -

Azafran Restaurant/Tribeca..

.there were things we liked, and things we did not -
we thought it was a tad overpriced for what it was -
the decor was nice, the wait staff was fabulous and very attentive
they had some nice Spanish wines to taste, wish they’d had more beer choices -
the Rollitos of goat cheese and beet puree w/ romesco sauce were actually fairly tasteless with no flavor -
the Brik de champinones - mushrooms w/ alioli dipping sauce were excellent, as were the Patatas Bravas - crispy potatoes w/ several dipping sauces

The two main courses we shared - grilled lamb chops on rice ( a bit chewy and extremely small portion on the rice) for $ 17 and the small paella de pollo con Chorizo was a disappointment - yes we ordered the small Paella - for 3 people - at $ 30.00, but it could have been dinner for one, maybe two - and it was short on a lot of ingredients for the price - it was supposed to be Saffroned Calasparra rice w/ chicken, chorizo, artichokes , red peppers - there were two TINY pieces of chicken, we could only find maybe 1/2 an artichoke and one or two red peppers and you could count the pieces of chorizo, so it was mostly rice,which was also mostly stuck to the bottom of the pan.

So, I have mixed feelings. If I was in the area would I try it again when I had more people with me and we could try more things, maybe - but I think the prices, which someone told us afterwards have gone up considerably in the past year or so - are more than what they should charge for the food and serving sizes.

Theater
We walk over to Walkerspace to see Mud Blossom, a new play by a young playwright who has won a few awards and we thoroughly enjoyed it - it’s only in the space until the end of April, but it was an excellent story that explored many levels of the relationship between three generations of women with more than a few secrets between them.

Sunday Brunch: Blue Water Grille - oh YES,YES,YES !!!! .....
Or how to maintain your cool when seated on the smaller second floor balcony area, surrounded by what appears to be many conservative and soft spoken people enjoying a proper Sunday Brunch with their families or significant others when you feel like enacting the remake of the famous When Harry Met Sally orgasm scene from Katz’s diner ............
but first, we eat our meal...

We all have an amazing brunch here - after the mimosa’s and bloody mary’s, and after two people shared a bunch of what they say were superb sushi rolls including thai yellowtail and spicy tuna - the table was then full of Caprese Eggs Benedict with mozzarella, tomato and crispy prosciutto (and this would be our only disappointment - the crispy prosciutoo consited of a few sprinkles of crumbled prosciutto (one would think at first glance it was bacon bits, that is how small it was) -

We forget that, after tasting the chocolate chip hazelnut pancakes with hazelnut crunch and chantilly cream which were decadently delicious, the standard Eggs Benedict which were anything BUT standard , the Farmers egg white omelette w/ turkey bacon, vegetables and salsa was as great as a healthy omelette gets, and the side of applewood smoked bacon which was so flavorful -

but THE best, ABSOLUTE best, was the chocolate fondue dessert we all shared - and it definitely satisfied four people ....

Rich, delicious warm chocolate and to dip in it.... WOW - the most light and flully marshmallows I’ve ever had - incredibly light meringue sticks - popcorn - and oh yes, those Rice Krispie treats - and some fresh and tasty pineapples and strawberries.

Nor'easter has picked up ..

So it was a mad dash in the pouring rain across to the subway and back to the Giraffe , grab our bags, grab a cab and off to Amtrak - which even in the storm was not delayed - but the place was wild - our sons flight had been cancelled the night before so he grabbed an early Amtrak back to college - and I'm sure many others were taking the rail in the same situation as he was -

all in all, a great family weekend in one of our favorite cities.

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Loved your post, escargot......and I must thank YOU, 'cus I know you responded to a few of my questions before I left for my NYC trip. I was drooling while simply reading the words, "choc chip hazelnut pancakes with hazelnut crunch and chantilly creme". Hmmmmm.....also a Harry Met Sally moment. Some people complain, but I LOVE detailed trip reports.....thank you for yours!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:52 PM

Thanks so much for this nicely detailed and fun report! I will save it for soon!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

well if it wasn't for those zany details we wouldn't know about that mouth watering chocolate - which is so important to some of us -
thanks Colette and Cabo !
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:38 AM

OH YES! A chocolate lovers delight. Sounds like an awesome weekend, particularly given the weather. Curious to know how your son made out getting from LGA to his place in Queens.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Oh Mclaurie, I was remiss in not tagging on to that direction post (which I just did) to thank you and others for that taxi help - I am losing my mind sometimes I think -

he did as suggested, spoke w/ dispatcher and all was well - he was delayed 2 hrs coming in b/c of winds - but his fligth home was delayed the night before from 9am to 2pm, so he decided to hop on an early AM amtrak instead -
thanks again for your help in all this
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Did the diet start Monday? ;-)
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Linda, the diet starts on Monday so I can splurge again on weekends...I think I am on a never-ending weekend diet, that allows for chocolate on weekends and lots of it
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Kealalani

Fantastic report escargot. Topping for europeorbust as she is deciding between Giraffe and Muse.

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

A friend of mine in the city just sent this link to me:
http://www.twi-ny.com/

about a dozen snapshots down is the scultpure we watched being installed in the park - with some links to info about it and other park/art/activities - looks like a good link for planning a spring visit to the city so thougth I'd add it on here
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

I should probably add, if you have not stayed here before, and you have the choice, you may want to ask for a room over the entrance side of the hotel, not on the side with the restaurant/bar if you are an ultra light sleeper.

we have stayed on both sides several times - and in fact this time we were on the second floor above the entrance to the club and we could still sleep

I think the full length room darkening thick shade helps and they must have some sound proofing in this place, b/c the only place I could hear the 'base" of music from the club was in the bathroom at 2 am, but not in the bedroom.

However, while this didn't bother us, I know some people are incredibly light sleepers and are bothered by anything - I consider myself a light sleeper, and it didn't bother me, but I thought I'd mention it just in case for those ultra light sleepers to request to be on the other side OR higher up on the club side - I'm sure by floor 3 or 4 you probably wouldn't even hear the base in the bathroom

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:50 PM

escargot,

You have made me want to get back to New York. I love your report. The Giraffe sounds wonderful. I do not know where it is located, but I do not think that would matter so much our next time. We found NYC very easy to get around. I really want to come back when it is more spring or summer there.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Escargot - thanks so much for this report, which is very timely for me as I am off to a girls trip in May staying at the Giraffe. We agonized over the hotel choice and in the end I wasn't 100% sure that the Giraffe was in a great location for us but your report has me convinced I will love it. I am forwarding your review to the other girls as well..reading it got me so excited for the trip!

Also, thanks for the tip about the art installation, sounds like a must see. I am not going to check out the picture now because I want to be surprised .

Jen
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM

thanks escargot! I'm printing this for next fall, when my daughter will be back living in NYC!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Uga....uga, uga....still waiting for your report

Jen - it's a great location - you will feel a bit more like you are in a neighborhood at the GIraffe - and you gals can walk to Madison and in May if you love shakes, burgers and fries you can get in the looong line at the famous Shake Shack ! - and walk also to Union Square - here are two other trip reports of mine from other weekends in nyc that you might like - i think they have info about some spots you might like in Union Square, which you can also walk to - the Union Square market is great and the square is full of great stores and cafes

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34925087

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34888754
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM

BTW, is this your son who went to India? How did his trip go?

My daughter moving to NYC is the one who also studied in India.

Between our Boston NYC, and India connections, you and I have got to attend a GTG together some day!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

yes Lcuy, this is the son who was in India !! He came home in mid January - he loved India - he loved his experiences studying in Kurzeong/Kathmandu/Kalimpong and in the hill areas better than others, but that might have been b/c he speaks Nepali and found communicating easier - he enjoyed them more than when he traveled to cities like Delhi, Agra, etc -

they come home w/ so many amazing stories, esp all his independent projects - I have been meaning to post something on Asia board and to thank so many who gave me recs for him at different times during his trip, I have to do that...am putting that closer to the top of the list -

Lcuy, you helped convince me to let him go on that trip, I remember
It was a long six months with spotty communication at times depending on where he was, but it was worth it -

We absolutely must meet up at a GTG, or we'll plan our own when your daughter is in NYC !! or is someone still in Boston too?
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM

I'd love to hear about his trip, and I'm sure others would, too.

My DD#2 has two more years at BU, and with DD#1 at CU for the same two years, I think I'll be seeing plenty of EWR and BOS.

Whoever it was that said you should encourage your kids to study in a city YOU like was right!!

Is there a date yet for the Boston GTG next fall??
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Lcuy, I thought I saw an email saying it was in October - I hope I can make it this year, last year I was babysitting my nieces babies so they could get away - but if I can not then some time when you are in you have to let me know and we'll do our own mini GTG Depending on where I am, I am either 5 minutes or 45 minutes from BU !
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:29 AM

escargot,

I have been so busy with work that I have not been able to get on, but I will write it soon. I am sure it will be good for laughs anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -