Search

Cheap eats/Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap eats/Honolulu

Hello, I am traveling from Mississippi beginning April 20 to Honolulu with kids from our high school who are competing in the Academic Decathlon Nationals. We will be staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. As you might guess this was a huge expense for our school and parents. I would like to try and cut our costs by discovering some inexpensive places these kids could eat near the Hilton. Any suggestions are appreciated. If they could walk to these places, that would help too. Also, I hear ABC Sundries is a good place to buy cheap snacks. Is there one close by? And what about the open air market? Is that a good option and close? Thanks so much!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM

The Ala Moana Mall has a huge food court. Good prices, and it's not far from HHV.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Wow - what a great experience for all of you! From the Hilton Hawaiian Village you can get good food at reasonable prices just across the street at Wailana Coffee Shop. It's a Waikiki tradition and is open 24/7. You can also walk to several other places (fast food type) nearby. The Ala Moana Center is a ways up the street and they have some good restaruants and an amazing food court where everyone can find something they'd like. Although the HHV is a beautiful place, the prices in their restaurants are high.

ABC stores are EVERYWHERE all over Waikiki - I can't off hand tell you where the closest one would be to the HHV, but probably just across the street as there are many of them - nearly one on every corner.

By open air market, I suspect you are referring to the Int'l Market Place. You can get there by walking (it is several blocks away, but very doable)- either walk down the beach until you reach Duke's (on the beach at the Outrigger Waikiki) and go through the walkway to Kalakaua or else walk down Kalakaua (Waikiki's "Strip") - the IMP is on Kalakaua right across from the Outrigger Waikiki. If you were asking about the swapmeet out at the Aloha Stadium (another open air market) - that you can get to by catching The Bus just across from the HHV - ask at the hotel which one to catch. The swapmeet is open Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays and is a great place to shop for souvenirs and gifts. One good hint - if you do go to the swapmeet and plan to buy several things - take a carry-on bag (prefer one with wheels) so you can stash your purchases and not have to carry a bunch of plastic bags.

I hope you have a great trip.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM

April 20....as in today? will you only stay within a 1 mile radius, or will you be able to wander outside of Waikiki? (i hope you can see more of Hawaii than that!)

I say this because one of the more popular cheap eats here are plate lunches. you can get these at L&L Drive In, Zippy's, Rainbow Drive In, etc.

If I remember I will post a couple of links for you when I get to work. There are free activities in Waikiki, and you can get free hula lessons/free ukulele lessons at Aloha Tower Marketplace (3 miles away). O course, the beach is always free!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice so far. Yes we will be touring a good bit of the island, but our kids will be studying a good bit too. We have a national title to defend, as our team won the gold in their division at last year's competition! Since there are several of us, transportation could be expensive too, so recommendations within walking distance to the Hilton will be prferred for the days we are not touring the island. Thanks again! We are getting really excited!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Oops and that would be April 21 we are leaving - tomorrow morning early!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:35 AM

There is an ABC in the Hilton.

There is a McD's next to another ABC about a block and a half away take a left at the entrance then another left at Ala Moana Blvd. Its halfway to Ala Moana Ctr.

As everyone said Ala Moana Center(where there is a Zippy's next to Sears) is maybe a ten to fifteen minute walk from HHV

Aloha!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:37 AM

There is also a pizza parlor in HHV(forgot which one) that is not expensive and they also have subs.

Aloha!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:21 AM

There is a food court at the International Market Place, too. I had quite a good fresh-ingredients sandwich and a smoothie from one of the shops.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:28 AM

If you want to check out some cultural cheap eats try Ezogiku on Kalakaua down near Tiffany's and Gucci. They serve noodles and gyoza, and going there is like a quick trip to Japan.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM

I can't find the link to free activities in Waikiki, although I know I posted it here on Fodors a while ago.

In the meantime, here's a website with a never-ending list of places to eat:
http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
#1- This would be great for your group!! "World Famous North Shore - Blue Water Shrimp & Seafood Co." has a truck parked between Launiu and Kaiolu on Kuhio. $10.95 for a big plate of food (shrimp or ahi, etc.) It's just a catering truck in a parking lot w/ picnic table seating or to-go. They also have hamburgers, salads, etc. besides the seafood. Price range $5.95 to $13.95. You could take the food down to the beach at Fort de Russey park nearby for a picnic.

#2- The food court in the basement of the Ala Moana Mall is terrific with all kinds of reasonably priced choices.

#3- ABC Stores are all over town. They have very good sandwiches, salads, chips, cookies, beverages, etc. all at low prices.

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Old Spaghetti Factory is in the Ward Center, The Bus will take you directly there. I also recall seeing a Subway near the McDonald's that someone mentioned.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:19 PM

mark
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM

If you have time go to the Oahu forum on tripadvisors and search for Waikiki cheap eats. You'll find just about everyplace in Waikiki plus a few outside of there.