Boston in September – 1st timers from Oz

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been reading all the Boston threads and accommodation recommendations, and now suffering info overload - there’s so much great detailed Fodorite input .

I’ve only just now discovered that the Duck Tours are not an expedition to view and marvel at the unique Boston duck colonies – that’s how green we are,

From the recommendations here, I’d shortlisted the Charlesmark Hotel (after rewiring my jaw at the hotel prices elsewhere), but as we’re exploring Boston over five days (10th to 14th), the compact rooms (and short beds – we’re both tall) and noise from the increasingly popular bar and lounge, might detract from our Boston experience. Have read the many TripAdvisor reviews on the Charlesmark and it’s very highly rated – especially its location and price – as well as its martinis!

Just discovered the VRBO website, and a studio apartment on Marlborough Street looks a great alternative – is this area as lovely as it looks? Is VRBO a reliable organisation? Walking distance just a few more blocks from the same attractions as from Boylston Street? The price at approx. U$150 per night would certainly be more attractive in comparison with the Charlesmark at over U$200 per night for a ‘standard’ room. (That sneaky +12.45% tax adds quite a bit to advertised prices.) Plus there’s all the extra space, a full kitchen, and oh my, a fireplace and bay windows even!

http://www.vrbo.com/67533

All comments much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Jackie

Old May 19th, 2007, 02:28 AM

VRBO is just a directory service. You will be renting directly from the owner of the unit. Many people seem to have good luck with them.

Those pictures look very nice, but I notice they have murphy beds (they pull down from the cabinet on the wall), so might not be all that comfortable either.

The location looks okay, but some of the Bostonians might be able to give more specifics on the area.

Good luck...Boston is a really fun place to visit.

Don't feel bad about the Duck tours...my friend though they went into places like the big dig and that you had to "duck" down to avoid hitting your head.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Greener than spring, is me, lcuy ... I thought the Murphy reference was to a highly-acclaimed US bed manufacturer!
So exclusive as to rate special mention.

Now if it's like in the movie - think it was 'Arthur' with Dudley Moore - can we expect blow-up dolls and whistles when we 'download' the murphy?

And duck, of course, as it descends.

Boston looks like more fun than we imagined!

Jackie
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:48 AM

I'd choose the Charlesmark over any VRBO.

As lcuy pointed out, the web site is just a listing service. Like eBay but with fewer rules. VRBO is short for "vacation rental by owner" so you have no idea who you're dealing with nor how honest or reputable they are. You have already fallen for one of the many many tricks that VRBO proprietors deploy. As you now realize, the photos of the VBRO apartments didn't include any pictures of beds; I recall that one of them showed some wide white closet doors that are probably where the Murphy bed is hiding. A "studio" apartment is a reference to a specific size: a single room sometimes with a separate kitchen but not a separate bedroom.

By contrast the Charlesmark is rated one of the best hotel values in Boston. The beds in the two places are the same size, by the way -- queen-size beds are about 60 inches wide and 80 inches long.
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:00 AM

I highly recommend you consider Priceline for your Boston stay. I had very good luck with it, even during a major convention with many hotels full I got the Hilton for under $150 US. Before using priceline, educate yourself at www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com
Have a great time in Boston, fantastic city. Be sure and get out to see the Berkshires and/or Cape Cod if you can make the time.
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the fast responses, much appreciated!

Anonymous - the VRBO website for the studio apartments for Marlborough Street did included a pic of the bed in the bay-windowed room. The 'studio' concept is the same as here in Oz, with combined living/sleeping area, so that was what we expected. The beds at the Charlesmark, according to one TA reviewer, are just 1.80cm long (in the standard rooms), and DH is 1.84cm - so if they're in fact 80 inches (6' 8" that's basketballer length!) DH can stretch 'n bend. Good to know, thanks!

cmcFong - thanks for the links to the bidding ... a new vista opens!

In the meantime, I've sent off an email request to the owner of the Marlborough studio - this is all so exciting ... ducks, murphys, and of course, the 'tipping' threads.

And Big Island next!

Jackie
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Kealalani

Marlborough Street is lovely treelined neighborhood.

Old May 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM
TKT

Marlborough is a great street and a great location.

There is no parking, make sure you find the cost and place of parking.

I'm assuming you know not to drive around Boston.

Old May 19th, 2007, 07:17 AM
cw

Furry,

Ask the owner what the cross-street is near the apartment. If it is near Massachusetts Ave., ask if there is much noise from the traffic.

Looks like a good place to rent, giving you more options and space than a hotel.

CW
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Kealalani

And a little tourist tip

The cross streets that pass boyleston, newbury, commomwealth, and marlborough are in alphabetical order Arlington, Berkely, Clarendon........etc

Old May 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help, Kealalani, cw and TKT.

Have read many of the threads here on the hazards of attempting to drive in Boston, but as a great compensation, what a wonderful ‘walking’ city Boston is, and that was one of the reasons we chose Boston, with such a wealth of history, as a stop-over on our way back to Australia from Sweden. We are first-timers to Boston, but have visited the US (LA, SF, Seattle, HNL) on previous trips – although the last was NY in ’99, so the info on the changes in the ‘tipping’ thread in the intervening years is a great help.

After our adventure in Boston, we continue for a week on Big Island and then back to Sydney – so I’ve been scanning all the Hawaii threads as well. We’ve got all our flights booked and confirmed (that was a mission in itself –phew) and now I’m trying to nail down all the accommodations before retracking to all the tourist bonbons available.

Have received an email from the studio apartments on Marlborough – they do have a vacancy – and I have replied requesting the nearest cross street before we make a decision. Have printed a map and see the nearest cross-street for the Charlesmark is Exeter, so hopefully will be able to pinpoint the studios on Marlborough from there.

(Was not familiar with the term ‘murphy’ for a wall bed, just as some might not be familiar with Oz = Australian – sorry about that.)

Jackie
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
TKT

Marlbourough Street is about 12 blocks long and it is all in a good area, so if you get it, take it.
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:03 PM

I just took a look at the VRBO on Marlborough and think it looks great. I'd put up with the hassle (which isn't much) of a Murphy bed for that decor and location. Cross street will be important just to be sure it's in the heart of the Back Bay.

Marlborough Street is as charming as the picture of the brownstones look.

We rent our home (through a different listing service) on Cape Cod and think it's very possible to find a great situation. I would insist on talking directly to the owner as you can tell a lot from a conversation (I won't rent to anyone just through email...voices tell a lot!).

Some things to ask (besides the cross street):
Do they expect you to clean the apartment at week's end?
How many other units in the building and are they owner occupied (could have college kids...which might be noisy)?
What's the closest T stop (that would give your fellow Fodorites more info to help you figure out location)?

Good luck!

September will be a great time to be in Boston!
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi ccrosner, thanks so much for your advice.

Actually, I was rather taken aback when my original enquiry for the studio was replied to by the Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Centre - not the owner.

So having a personal chat with the owner appears to be ruled out.

The one-sentence response did not answer my original question regarding taxes etc, simply "I do have availability at $175 nightly; please let me know if you want me to block off these nights" not even specifying which one of the THREE studios on the webpage she was referring to, or why the maximum price was applicable.

I sent a reply two days ago requesting cross-streets for both the Marlborough studios and the reason for maximum price (from $150 to $175 p.n.) before we commit, and have as yet had no response.

crosner, I imagine asking further questions about number of units in the building and owner/occupation would result in an ever longer - if at all - response time.

I've been checking the VRBO listing for Big Island and some of the extras - taxes, cleaning costs, guest 'fees' etc - add up to more than one night's lodging.

So yep, 'cleaning fees' were on my question list for the Marlborough studio when I got their reply ... the weekend has probably delayed it, as I imagine the GBC&VC has normal office working hours and masses of lodging requests. Plus, I doubt very much whether the person answering my original request has any personal or detailed knowledge of the studios in question.

Still hopeful, but the 'be wary' antennae are sprouting. What is the listing service website that you are with? If it also includes Boston, I’d love to check it out as a back-up.

Many thanks,
Jackie

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The location of the appartmnt is very good. You'll be two streets over from Newbury and three from Boylston and a few streets from the Charles River.

The duck tour takes you around town and a short time in the Charles River.

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM

I realize you would most likely prefer to stay in Boston, and I am thinking you may have already tried to find a B & B perhaps with better rates than the Charlesmark - (Newbury Street Guest House, Clarendon Square Inn, etc) - but there was a post recently about a great B & B for 150 and less, although in Davis Sq in Somerville, it is not far from Boston for day trips and Davis Sq for those nights you maybe don't want to go back in town has many great restaurants, and you'd have a neighborhood type feel to return to at the end of the long days of touring - it's just a thought -
This post was not an ad, but by a frequent poster, so I just thought to let you know as an fyi if this rental does not work out -
here is the link to the post

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35001452
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:21 PM

O.k....now I'm a bit suspicious about the Greater Boston Visitors bureau...did you try calling the New Hampshire number on the website? I wouldn't rent from the Visitors bureau, personally.

And I don't think that my website (weneedavacation.com) has anything but Cape Cod and Florida rentals so it's not a help. Sorry.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This is typical building on Marlborough St:

http://www.astro.washington.edu/jill...borough_st.JPG

I've heard good things about that B&B that escagot mentions.

It is so frustrating when we have visitors, to find an inexpensive place to suggest(we don't have a guest room)
When we visit their country we can find a place that is better and less expensive than here.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, for the responses Just wish we had more than four nights in Boston (mmmm, good song/book title? Four Nights in Boston with a blues undertone ) But we have already extended our trip to almost six weeks and all the flights are nailed down, so ideally to get the most out of our visit, staying in such a central area as Back Bay with all the close attractions/restaurants/clubs seemed the best option.

Escargot, yes I saw both threads relating to Morrison House/Grommit and checked it out (Davis Room, $120 pdpn) but unfortunately, though it looks delightful, it does mean taking transport from Somerville to the centre. Also checked out the other places you mentioned. My research files will soon require their own house
If we were not first-timers, and perhaps only-timers, it would be a great choice. But the idea of stepping out of ‘our’ front door, walking five/ten minutes to experience some of Boston’s famous sights is such a magnet; we love walking, and would prefer to walk 15 mins than take a 5 min MTA ride. (Another great song – oh wait, it’s been done decades ago ... keeps running thru my brain from ‘olden days’ especially the refrain “did he ever return, no he never returned ... he may ride forever ‘neath the streets of Boston” – somewhere in the deep dark recesses of memory Kingston Trio? chimes faintly.

Thanks so much for the pic, Cigalechanta (chanta is song? We’re on a musical roll here!) Marlborough Street does indeed look so lovely with all the old brownstones and big trees - I’m still hopeful and after seeing your pic, more determined, lol.

Ccrosner, no haven’t phoned anywhere yet – the time difference (15 hours) and cost is a hassle – plus, I do prefer to have any details in writing, as it’s always so easy for ahem misunderstandings to occur when booking accommodation over the phone.
Having copies of emails/letters has saved the bacon many a day and prevented any distressing ‘condradictions’. I use this system even when booking something local here in Oz, so it’s nothing particular to the US. (Checked the needvacation website, and there’s no Boston accommodation listed, but oh my Cape Cod looks wonderful).

More research beckons ...
Jackie

Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:39 AM

We stayed in Hotel Chandler in 2004 and were satisfied.It's in a nice neighbourhood and we did all our sightseeing on foot. We took the Old town trolley which includes a harbour visit by boat.Very nice.Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -