Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best NYC shopping neighborhood for inexpensive trendy teen clothes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that our 14 year old daughter would fill our entire 4 1/2 days in NYC with shopping if she could, but that wouldn't go over well with the rest of the family. In what area/neighborhood/street are we most likely to find trendy, inexpensive teen clothes and accessories? We don't have a strong desire to visit the large department stores, nor are we into designer boutiques. We're looking for stores we don't have in Dallas. I know that New York has H&M. The girls shopped at an H&M in Barcelona and liked it.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM
TC

Absolutely take her to Laila Rowe -- many locations in NY. She'll fill a shopping bag or a suitcase with great inexpensive accessories. Cute store, all color coordinated. Look up a location on their web site.

http://www.lailarowe.com/accessories/text_1.asp?s_id=0&

The Broadway stretch in SoHo between Canal and Prince Street are also good. You can start out with the knock-off shopping along Canal in Chinatown and then continue down Broadway to Prince. The side streets are high end, but Broadway has some good inexpensive places.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM
TC

Missypie, I think I answered this on one of your other posts, but here it is again. I just discovered the NY Red Maps on my last trip. They are GREAT for shopping. Every store listed, street by street.

http://redmaps.com/map_preview.html
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM

There are H&Ms all over the city: the best is at 5th Ave right near Rockefeller Center. And everything TC said is perfect, too.

If you hit the stretch of Broadway between Prince and Canal, visit Pearl River Mart close to Canal on the west side of the street. It's chock-a-block full of all things Asian, and not too expensive without digging through all the little shops in Chinatown. Check out downstairs for a true discount experience!

The relatively new Bloomies in this area is good to window shop as they carry younger / more trendy designers than the flagship store. (Of course it's not what I'd consider inexpensive!)

Both Pearl River Mart and Bloomingdales have bathrooms in their lower levels - the Bloomingdales one is beautifully designed!

While you're in the area, peruse the Dean & Deluca grocery at Broadway and Prince; treat yourselves to the salon at Maribelle chocolaterie on Broome (maribelle.com), or Vosges Haut Chocolat on Spring (vosgeschocolate.com); or pig out at Rice to Riches on Spring in the other direction (ricetoriches.com). Spring Street east of Broadway is good for non-sweet food, too.

Mmm, I'm making myself hungry!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM

For cheap stuff, I would stick to 34th street between 5th and 8th avenues. 2 H&Ms, some Conway stores (very cheap stuff --mostly under $10 ) some other stores like that. Both sides of the street (except for the Macy's that takes all of 7th-Broadway on one side of the street)
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM

There's a pretty good (and popular) discount clothing store near Ground Zero called Century 21. Don't know how trendy a 14 year old would regard it, but I got me some lovely powder blue Pumas for $30.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:25 AM

I have not had good luck at the 34th Street H&Ms buying for my tween niece, and IMO that stretch is not a particularly fun area to be in: too crowded, loud, dirty... I'd only hit it if you'll be in the vicinity for something else.

Another local discount store is Daffys. There's a large one on 34th Street, and a nice smaller one on Broadway in the area I mentioned previously.

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Try between East 9th and East 11 between Avenue A and 2nd Avenue. there are many young designer/owners who have small shops wheich have unique designs.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:17 AM

Local newspapers reported today that SJP's new Bitten line is now available at Steve & Barry's in the Manhattan Mall (32 St. and 6th Ave). Something like 200 pieces are all under $20.00. I haven't been (I'm sure I am way too old!) but it sounds like something teens might love.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:23 AM

The BEST PLACE IN THE CITY for what your tween is looking for is Conway, nice tees and jeans $3-$15, she won't want to leave the store.

There are a couple of locations in the 34th St area, but the largest is on 35th and Broadway. I was there yesterday and got a bunch of great looking tees and crop pants. Just stop there and she will get all she needs for great prices.