More North Shore MN questions

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More North Shore MN questions

I spent a good part of our long drive from southern IL to the 'burbs today reading up in my Moon Minnesota Handbook. Now my head is spinning! So much to see, so little time!

Has anyone here ever taken a cruise with Grandpa Woo Excursions? If so, would you recommend it?

All of the state parks and the BWCAW sound wonderful and I'm very interested in Split Rock Lighthouse and Grand Portage National Monument. But we really only have two full days. So we certainly can't see it all! Ideally, I'd like to leave knowing that we got a good feel for what the North Shore offers. But also knowing that it's well worth a trip back as there's more to be seen.

None of us are what I'd call rugged outdoor enthusiasts! But my husband and son (and possibly my daughter) are up for more strenuous hiking than I am. We all love beautiful scenery. And I'm certainly not averse to some fairly serious but "easy" walking to get to it.

We're staying in Grand Marais. So I'm thinking it probably makes the most sense to drive north one day and south the other.

Having said all of that, I'd love to hear opinions as to the "must sees" and/or the parks, sites, etc. best left for a second trip.

The Moon Handbook suggests that, for those short on time, Temperance River State Park gives a good overview of the North Shore. Would you agree?

Thanks so much for any insight, experiences, advice anyone cares to share!

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

I probably should have added that we'd love to see a moose! My kids have seen "moose crossing" signs in several parts of the US and Canada. But have never actually seen a moose! I know that our odds aren't great. But is there one particular place where we're more likely to see one?

Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM

We have not taken the Grandpa Woo from its home base in Beaver Bay but did take it in Grand Marais and enjoyed it very much. I would think the Beaver Bay cruise would be beautiful and it probably goes by Split Rock Lighthouse and that area. I would stop at Split Rock Lighthouse as it is fun to see and such a pretty location. Also enjoyed the Grand Portage National Monument and the whole bay there is just gorgeous. Have only seen moose when up the Gunflint Trail but do know people who have seen them in other spots along the North Shore. Have seen them many times up the Trail. If you go up there, stop at Trail Service Center for something to eat. Very casual but very good. Also like Gunflint Lodge but more upscale. Have fun!!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Cali! You've been so helpful with all of my questions. I really appreciate it.

I think we'll definitely look into taking the Grandpa Woo cruise.

Sounds like we need to put the Gunflint Trail on our "must see" list. Thanks for the recommendation on the Trail Service Center.

Someone told me on another thread that she thinks the area near the border is the prettiest of all. Between that recommendation and yours, I'm thinking we need to put Grand Portage National Monument on the list too.

And the lighthouse!

Is the North Shore far enough north for the days to be a little longer there?! I think we're going to need the extra time!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:35 AM

CAPH - We have not taken the Grandpa Woo Excursions but have taken the saling trip on the schooner which leaves from Grand Marias harbor. Sorry, can't remember the name but the office is by the ship and can't miss it. Really nice trip - lasts about 4 hours.

The scenery north of Grand Marais past Hovland and up to Grand Portage definitely is spectular. They have tours and reinactments at Grand Portage showing life as it was back in the 1700s when the voyageurs would bring their fur pelts to GP and sell them to the traders who had come in large canoes from Montreal. Really quite interesting. The village has been restored to its "original" appearance.

The only times we've seen moose has been on the Gunflint Trail. We stayed at Gunflint Lodge which was very enjoyable and the food in their restaurant is excellent. Having said that, keep in mind that they had major forest fires there this spring. As I understand it, the exteme north part of the trail was not affected, but I'm guessing the wildlife will be scare for a while. It's also a distance up the trail. With your limited time, if I had to choose between Grand Portage and Gunflint, this year I'd take GP.

Temperance State Park definitely worth a visit as is Judge CP Magney SP near GP. All of these parks are accessible right off Hwy 61 so they're easy to get to.

North of Grand Marais is Naniboujou Lodge. If you're headed north, it's worth a few minutes to explore - it's just off the highway - and worth earing in the dining room. Fascinating old timbered lodge buit in the 1920s. It was built as a private hunting and fishing lodge before Hwy 61 went this far north, so only access was across Lake Superior. Beautiful lodge. One of the charter members was Babe Ruth - kids might get a kick out of it. For more info go to www.naniboujou.com
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:49 AM

CAPH - hi again. Obviously "earing" should have been "eating". Also wanted to make clear that all of the state parks on the north shore are very accessible from Hwy 61, not just Temperance or Cagney.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your detailed response, dfr!

After reading Cali's response last night, I did some googling on the Gunflint Trail. I saw the articles about the fire. But didn't really think about how that would affect wildlife sightings. Thanks for pointing that out!

Most of what you said corraborates what I read in the Moon guide. And I really appreciate that. More than once I've read glowing things in a guide book, only to be disappointed. So I'm very happy to hear the same things from a "real person"!

And you've settled it, Grand Portage is a must!

I'm thinking, if we get there early enough, since we're staying in Grand Marais, maybe we'll just take a bit of a ride on the Gunflint Trail that evening. Seems to me the Moon guide mentioned somewhere along it that was good for sunsets (although, having read so much yesterday, I may be confused about just where the spot was). So maybe we can see a little bit of it then. And save our two full days for heading north one day and south the other.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:15 AM

CAPH - glad to be of some help. When you check the Gunflint site, also check road conditions. The trail is not paved all the way; some of it is gravel (and not pebble gravel either - it's very driveable, but we've had more than one flat tire. Don't let me scare you; it's a beautiful drive). Seems like there's always construction (probably just our luck), but it's worth double checking so you'll know what to expect.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for that heads-up, dfr! Seems like there's construction everywhere I go!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM

The sailing ship out of Grand Marais is the Hjordis. I have not taken it but have heard it is fun. I also forgot to mention Naniboujou - well worth stopping to see it and even to have lunch or dinner as they have very good food. The ceiling in the dining room is amazing!! The Gunflint Trail runs for about 60 Mi up from Grand Marais and most of it is paved but it is a long way. Trail Center is about 1/2 way and I have seen moose in a swamp off the Trail before getting to Trail Service many times - at about 7-8 PM. The fires up the Trail were bad but still so much beauty up there and nothing burned south as far as Trail Service Center. My brother was just up to the end of the Trail and he said there were some burned areas which were obvious but many areas did not burn too. I would guess there is still a lot of wildlife on most of the trail. If you are short on time tho I would do the NorthShore drive and save the Gunflint Trail for another trip. Have a fun time!! If you like donuts - go to the Donut Shop in GM - they are yummy. Also love the pies at Betty's Pies just north of Two Harbors on Hwy 61. Rustic Cafe in Castle Danger is good too. Oh I can't wait til the first part of August when we head up there again.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Gooseberry Falls is nice for a bit of light hiking. Split Rock Lighthouse is a must and on your next trip up, make time to tour Glensheen Mansion in Duluth, the grounds are beautiful.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cali and isabellasu!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Both Gooseberry and Tettagouche State Parks are beautiful and they are fun to do some light hiking - we make it a quick stop but still enjoy them and love to take pictures there. I agree that you should tour Glensheen in Duluth and many other fun things in Duluth - possibly on another trip. Duluth has turned into a neat tourist city.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cali!

Maybe I've been reading too many Paris threads , but I just happened to wonder whether we need to make reservations ahead for the Angry Trout. Since everyone seems to like it so much, I'm guessing it must be pretty busy?

Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM

I am not sure if they take reservations. We have never had them - just sat and waited and got in with no problem. It is busy but not impossible to get in and eat. Have a great time!!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Ooops, I forgot to ask - when will you be there? Grand Marais is the busiest over the weekend of Fisherman's Picnic which runs from 8/2 - 8/6 this year. It is busy all summer, but that is the very busiest.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Cali. We're going to be there during the week. We're leaving Madison the morning of the 24th (a week from this coming Tuesday) and will stay in Grand Marais until the morning of the 27th. I'm getting very anxious!

Maybe the Angry Trout will be a little less crowded than it would be on a weekend.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM

You should be fine during the week. We will be just missing you as we are going to Grand Marais (and the whole North Shore) on the 30th. Have fun!!
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cali! Too bad we'll miss you. We could have had a mini GTG! Hope you have a great trip! I know you're looking forward to getting back there.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:01 AM

CAPH - the Angry Trout doesn't take reservations (unless they've changed in the last 3 years). It is slightly easier to get in during the week, but since this is high season, you should get there fairly early (like 6 or before) if you don't want to wait long no matter what day it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -