Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston, SC Trip Report: Escargot gives low country high marks !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fabulous, wonderful, captivating Charleston and before I left I was planning on when to return ! This was my second visit, the first was a tease, and I still have a long list of things left to do.

I titled sections to hopefully make it easier to find or skip over parts that do/don't catch your interest -

It is taking awhile to sift through my pile of notes on the backs of all the business cards and menus and cocktail napkins and get it all down in one place ! But let the telling begin...

The vacation started on Amtrak Acela - from Boston to meet my friend and fly out of NYC the next morning - a nonstop, great price and we’d arrive together if delays, etc.

I love Amtrak - I know others have had delays, etc. but I have yet to experience that in all the years I’ve taken this run- I used one of my upgrades to first class, settled in at 4pm, enjoyed a nice glass of merlot and nut mix followed by dinner of spicy lemon chicken w/ a beurre blanc sauce, roasted root vegetables, small salad, roll, and topped it all off with the truffles & coffee with some Bailey’s - enjoy some scenery, read up on Charleston and grab a quick rest..... and I have mentally begun my vacation

WED: THE HARBORVIEW INN

We check in to the HarborView Inn around 1pm - we chose this hotel based on GoTravels excellent and famous report on Charleston and she was spot on - great sitting area on the second floor (first is parking and street entry only) that overlooks the beautiful waterfront
park, fountains and harbor. Link to her report:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34567869

The cozy sitting area also has the guest computer and printer (great for easy printing of your return boarding passes) and also to print out some Charleston info if you want or look for dinner reservations, etc.- It also has a side bar which is always stocked with cold drinks like iced tea, lemonade, seltzer water, M & M’s (peanut AND plain), - the first sign they cover all the bases here - jelly beans and more.

Pass the front desk and into the atrium - a larger sitting area with sideboards always stocked with coffees, tea, hot chocolate and bowls of apples, bananas, - In the morning, they add muffins and pastry; 5pm they add wine and cheeses, and around 10pm they add warm cookies.....all delish ! Staff here, on all levels, friendly, warm, helpful.

We had initially reserved a room with a water view, but had been notified the elevator was out of service during our stay, (actually for anywhere from 4 wks to 8 depending on who you asked) - so we requested floor 2 or 3 (the most we decided we could hike after dinner with heels on) so they showed us a view room with a king bed or one with two beds, across the hall, non-water view, which also made it a larger room - as an fyi - we were in one of the corner rooms that surround the atrium and we never heard a sound once in our rooms. If you bother to open the sheers and look out, the rooms on this side overlook what appears to be a power/water plant or something like that. We chose to lose the view for only a one flight hike.

The only complaint I had with the rooms, and interestingly enough the front desk said they get this complaint all the time - the rooms need more light- the lights next to the bed for reading are too dim so it is impossible to read in bed w/out your own portable reading light - you can read at the desk, or in one of the two chairs/table arrangement with a light in the corner. Bathroom has a magnifying mirror, but unlit one for anyone who is interested in make up bring your own light up travel mirror.

GALLERIES, STORES & THE VENDUE INN ROOFTOP
Walk across to Waterfront Park, enjoy strolling, beautiful fountains, benches, visit the new City Gallery - aside from the amazing view from upstairs of the harbor, it is a fabulous venue for displaying art - this is my 2nd time visiting and both times they had exhibits of note - this time the September 2007 Moja Arts Festival Invitational was still hanging, featuring some amazing work of Doyle Cloyd. and a wonderful traveling exhibit -

We happen upon the Vendue Inn, hit the rooftop and share two appetizers, enjoy a cold beer - nice, casual spot, only a few open tables, exc rooftop/city views - we decide not to try and run to cram in some historical sites,- I should note it is about 90 degrees and my friend is feeling the heat, so we instead opt to roam in and out every gallery along East Bay Streets “gallery row” and some specialty stores- keeping us mostly inside with the a/c.

Particular favorites:

*Mountain to the Sea Collection: some great furniture, unique glassware, serving pieces, home accessories
www.mtscollection.com

*Lowcountry Artists Ltd: a gallery owned and operated by about 12 local artists - some great talent in here- many on low country/Charleston area -
www.lowcountryartists.com

*Waterfront Gallery : a cooperative gallery of about 20 local artists, also outstanding
www.waterfrontartgallery.com

We make our way to Charleston Cooks:
William Sonoma with out the chain atmosphere - and a fabulous glassed-in cooking demo/class area- taking a class here would be amazing if you could fit it in - we had scoped out the classes online and tried but couldn’t make it work this time but will definitely do this next visit. Also have a great selection of local cookbooks - including the “Charleston Receipts” that I had to find - the oldest Junior League cookbook still in print - the first time being in the early 50’s I think - so this is chock full of good old , nothing diet about them, southern “receipts” !
www.charlestoncooks.com

I also find Mrs. Whaley Entertains and Mrs. Whaley and her Charleston Garden -
the two books recommended on this site by cmfong - so I have my bed time reading!

Peek in the windows of some great antique and home decor/fabric shops (all closed), hit Harris Teeter for some forgotten items, cruise through the marketplace for a quick overview as most vendors are packing up and back to hotel to ready for dinner:

DINNER: SNOB: (Slightly North of Broad)

What was had:
Arugula salad, grilled salmon, NY Strip, a fabulous bottle of wine capped with the dessert special of the night and coffees with liqueurs.
This was an excellent meal - was every tiny detail perfect - no. The salad was just ok and the dessert was good, but not memorable - since I can’t remember the details of it except it was soaked in berries but we still thought it was dry..... salmon and steak got high marks.
Service was excellent.
I would return, but there are other restaurants I’ve yet to try next visit and I’d eaten here last time, when everything was perfect.

THURS :
GULLAH TOUR, SHOPPING, CUPCAKES, SERMET'S CORNER AND .....FIG

At Harborview you have a choice to have breakfast delivered in your room, in the atrium or on the rooftop. We opted for the rooftop and were sitting about five minutes when it arrived. You have choices (all cold): yogurts, hard boiled eggs, granola, fruits, bagels, etc-juice/coffee. It was fresh, delicious and wonderful eating while overlooking the rooftops of Charleston. Standing up you can see far and wide with an amazing harbor view. Spend a few reading the morning paper and enjoying the sunshine in a lounge chair and then we are off. Today, as the rest of our stay, every day is around 80, clear air and gorgeous.

We walk to the Charleston Visitors Center , the 2 hr. Gullah Tour leaves from across the street. FABULOUS tour - another great rec by cmfong - I highly recommend this tour - and I usually do not like structured tours - if you know you want to do this, consider booking ahead - of the three days we were there, there was only one morning they had an opening for two -

GULLAH TOUR
Alphonse Brown, the guide, is a great personality, not overpowering, has a captivating delivery without going over the top - we learned about Gullah, a unique language of the low country, a combo of english and various African dialects - toured Charleston with a focus on African-American sites as well as other historic sites - complete with a lesson in speaking Gullah, how to choose the best sweetgrass basket ( shape, strength of bottom), fascinating stories and a focus on the wrought iron work of Philip Simmons -which you see everywhere in Charleston in the gates, window grills, fences, everywhere (as well as the Smithsonian Museum) - and.... Don’t All Tours End in the Gift Shop?..

Yes. Except this gift shop is the home of Mr. Simmons, who at 96 comes out to sits with you on his porch, where we could ask questions or have a photo taken and then see his old workshop in the back of his house, the old tools and , some $20-$40 wrought iron hooks of his design

I told him all I wanted to know was how to live to be in my 90’s and he took my hand and said “Do not worry about tomorrow, which is something you can not control - no unnecessary worries or stress and get a good nights sleep. He is a delight. After this tour, you will easily recognize his work vs. others, and be more aware of how often you see his name or work referenced.

If you go to the Gullah Tours web site, don’t read everything if you are going to take the tour - it will ruin some of the fun!

www.gullahtours.com
www.philipsimmons.org/aboutsimmons.html

KING ST. SHOPPING, CUPCAKES, SERMET'S CORNER

Tour ends, we walk across to spend about 30 minutes in the Charleston Visitors Center which is great - tons of information , guidebooks, artwork, displays - and purchase the 2 Day Pass for entry to the plantations and historic homes of Charleston for $ 39.95 figuring just two plantations and it would more than pay for itself.

Also buy a copy of The Complete Walking Tour of Historic Charleston (which later proves worth it also)

We head to King Street. Not too far into it I see a small store with a large sign that reads:

CUPCAKE - I can never pass up a cupcake , and am a firm believer in eating dessert t before lunch whenever possible - so we head in and have the MOST delicious cupcakes: Red Velvet , death by chocolate and vanilla with chocolate......mmmmm
433 King St.

Then we hit the stores, going into each and every store we pass. Some of our favorites from cards we took:

Affordables:A unique boutique: 305 King
Great sweater/shawl wraps, cotton skirts/jackets, some very inexpensive but fun jewelry

Handpicked King Street: 333 King St.
Some great jewelry from $20- $ 200 with fabulous designs, we find great gifts for
our girls ages 19-25.
www.behandpicked.com

Susan Michelle 338 King Street
fun shoes and happened upon a great sale -
www.susanmichelleshoes.com

Nancy’s: 342 King St: clothing

Parham & Co. 344 King: marvelous antique items
some over the top expensive, some extremely reasonable, all marvelous
find a fabulous, affordable, antique tool for my sons collection for holiday gift
www.parhamandcompany.com

Norma May, 315 King

Peter Banis Shoes, 324 King www.charlestonshoes.com

Bob Ellis Shoes, 332 King
www.bobellisshoes.com

We need some fuel ! So we run into Sermet’s Corner on 276 King Street, grab a window seat, order some wine, split a marvelous (homemade and tastes it) mozzarella/tomato/basil (homegrown and tastes it)greens and an artichoke dip and head out again on King St....

Rangoni’s, my favorite destination shoe store, is closing as are many other shops - stores seem to close much earlier here than Boston or NYC (perhaps due to that smart, southern lifestyle that also says stop, relax, enjoy, take a moment, rock on the porch, enjoy a drink !) so we begin to amble back to the hotel for a break before dinner.

DINNER: FIG (FOOD IS GOOD) RESTAURANT
www.eatatfig.com

This meal was absolutely amazing - the entire experience at this restaurant was fun and welcoming from the moment we arrived by pedi-cab -

What was had:
some fabulous martinis at the bar with a friendly, lively, wealth of information bartender
great bottle of Sancerre
Caw Caw Creek Country Ham, arugula, pomegranate, almonds (heaven, absolute heaven)
Ricotta Gnocchi, chanterelles, sweet corn (to die for)

My friend had what she said was one of the best dishes ever - pan roasted local grouper, braised artichokes, squash, tomatoes and I had the most absolutely incredible
Crisp Berkshire Pork Chop Farci w/ fontina, prosciutto, sautéed rapini - I can not describe how wonderful this dish was. I could not finish it, and wish I was at home so I could enjoy it for lunch, but.....
we split some apple crisp, berry special dessert thing which I can’t remember and/or read the details of but was deeelish.

SAVED ROOM for the chocolate expresso martini’s - made with expresso, kahlua, vanilla vodka, cream cocoa and confectioners sugar and something else I wrote on the back of my menu while the bartender dictated as we chatted on our way out - but I can’t read my own scribbles.... ...this is worth saving room for.

lots of fun photos taken by hostess for us and we’re off -

Service was amazing, wait staff, bartender all just wonderful - loved the art work on the walls - called our pedi-cab, walked the last block home and rolled into bed....

FRIDAY:
MIDDLETON PLACE, DRAYTON HALL...SHOPPING

Breakfast in the room, picked up by Enterprise Car Rental which is about 5 min ride away, and we are on the road to the plantations by 9:30

MIDDLETON PLACE

Must return when the flowers are all in bloom this place must be spectacular in spring because it was spectacular even now in early fall - We sign up for a tour,with the most friendly and helpful of guides, who directs us, with a map, the best path to take to enjoy the landscape and make our way to where the tour will be.

All along we keep oohing and aahing over yet another magnificent tree, view or some unexpected surprise in our path. This is absolutely a piece of heaven: we sit for awhile on a bench overlooking the terraced green lawns, lakes, the winding Ashley river, all framed by blooming marsh and ornamental grasses in different shades of green, some blooming with their fluffy plumes of plum and gold catching the sun and breeze, the light illuminating the crepe myrtle and we are literally silenced by the quiet, the beauty and the history of it all.

We enjoy the tour- love the stories of plantation life and the history of the family - see the stables and the freedman’s house, have lunch in the restaurant which I would say was average at best. Our soups were room temp, the pork excellent, the rice, biscuits and wine just ok - next time, I’d grab a yogurt/salad at the area next to the gift shop b/c I’d rather have had that time at the end of the day -a quick run through the gift shop and...

DRAYTON HALL & KING ST

We head to Drayton Hall - a totally different but unique plantation - one of the oldest examples of Georgian-Palladian architecture - not reconstructed but in original form - empty, no furnishings, but amazing architectural and design facets to the house (only surviving plantation in original form when all others were burned, so never renovated or changed in style) and when you are on your second plantation, the names and characters start coming together for you and the ‘family history” and connections, so entwined, that all I could think of was those story lines for the Ewings of Dallas or the Channings of Falcon Crest !

Head back, return rental, have them drop us not at the hotel but at Rangoni Shoes !
Success = shoes and killer handbag. We hit a great clothing store and snagged some wonderful sweaters, but I can’t find the receipt or card, but I’m searching.....

Head to hotel with a quick stop at Kilwin’s for some of that luscious popcorn I enjoyed the last time -....and a few choice chocolates.

.....Continue deciphering notes now........
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Dinner at Peninsula Grill
From the minute we walk into the bar, I felt like I’d died and gone to heaven -
We sit at the bar - actually, two men in true southern style literally jump up, have their wives move down one and they stand behind them so we can have seats.... you gotta love it.

My friend and I agree this is going down as one of our all time favorite, all around dining experiences because of the combination of the food, the service, the personalities, the wine sommelier, everyone.
and especially our server, Seanessy. As a New Yorker, she is thrilled to have this type of dining experience without the New York prices and actually looks at the bill several times in disbelief. Love the bar, love the decor.

What was had:

We begin with a remarkable glass of Pierre Gimmonet & Fils Blanc de Blanc Brut at the bar.

The sommelier chose a Greenhough, Sauvignon Blanc, Nelson, New Zealand, 05 for our table.
Chilled wedge, smoky bacon jerky and buttermilk dressing ( i know, boring choice)
Grilled Boneless Berkshire Pork Chop with Smoked Bacon-Cheddar Grits (oh oh oh)
creamy collard greens and shitake gravy..
Lobster 3 ways: Ravioli, tempura and Stuffed with warm tomato & basil vinaigrette
Romaine and radiccio salad w/ lemon thyme caesar dressing
Local butterbean and sweet corn succotash

And of course, the famous Ultimate Coconut Cake we’d read so much about.
Which lived up to expectation.
Followed by...... godiva chocolate expresso martinis of course !

www.peninsulagrill.com

Saturday:
Historic Homes, walking tour, Galleries on Broad,
Magnolia’s and the airport...

Up, pack, breakfast in room and check out , arrange for a cab at 4:30 to the airport. and head out -
p.s. breakfast was always delivered within 5 minutes of the time we checked off on our menu the night prior.

We have our Complete Walking Tour booklet from the tourist center and start out from our hotel - walk through waterfront park, down to Rainbow Row (83-107 East Bay St)
to take some lovely photos in the morning light -then saw some for sale signs and peeked in windows of places that were vacant...and choose the ones we love....and walk along the water to the Edmonston-Alston House for the tour - (the candlelight tours on the first two weekends of December sound magical and the 21 East Battery Bed & Breakfast in the old carriage house and quarters behind the house looks like a wonderful place to stay)

We then continue following the historic walking tour booklet from where we are at #39, weaving in and out a bit, down to # 12 and corner of Broad Street - following and reading from the guide book at each stop.

Broad St
in and out of galleries/stores: favorites were:
Ella Walton Richardson Fine Art gallery, 91 Broad
(Marianne Houtkamp sculptures I am still dreaming about and some fabulous artists)
www.ellarichardson.com

Mary Martin Gallery of Fine Art: 39 Broad
wonderful sculpture by Richard Pankratz and jewelry by Michael Sugarman - particularly his earrings - gorgeeeeous. and what’s particularly great about them is the post is lower on the earring, so if you are older or have ‘thin lobes’ the earring doesn’t pull down the ear and the top of the earring covers the hole that may otherwise be looking like a slit with a dangle if that make sense to anyone...
www.marymartinart.com
www.sugarmandesigns.com
www.richardpankratz.com

The Boutique: 47 Broad
gifts, linens, lingerie

Lunch at Magnolia’s

I’m so glad we ate here, although when we “polled” everyone we met - pedi-cab drivers, hotel staff, rental car staff, about where to have lunch and while everyone said Magnolia’s was good, they encouraged us to choose High Cotton, Cru Cafe, Blossom and several other spots. They either had favorite dishes at these places or I think had tired of Magnolia’s since they’d been eating there forever.

What was had:
We enjoy campari & soda at the bar .
I want to taste their Pimiento Cheese (because my southern girlfriend taught me how to make “pimenna cheese, the pate of the south” and I now claim to be the queen of Pimenna in the Northeast
but we didn’t want a huge serving, so they were kind enough to give us a ‘taste plate’ - and at no charge!

We then split an order of Fried Green Tomatoes with white cheddar, caramelized onion grits, country ham and tomato chutney.
Medallions of Beef, boursin cheese, country style mashed potatoes, asparagus and madeira wine sauce
Grilled canadian salmon fillet, haricot vet, cherry tomato and red onion salad, baby red potatoes

We check out the upstairs, which has some great private dining rooms !

We hit the marketplace, snag a few last minute gifts for those back home -
scramble to the hotel, grab the cab and off we go back to NYC -

Being Dead is no Excuse...laughing all the way on the train:
Next morning I grab my train back to Boston and laughed ALL the way reading “Being Dead is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral” by Gayden Metcalfe & Charlotte Hays - too funny - full of wonderful southern tales, traditions and recipes ! Read it - because , after all, you want to do everything proper, because you don’t want to be so embarrassed you liketa died (I love that saying best) .

Wrap up comments and questions:

I can’t remember the name of the ‘bench’ that they have down south and you sit on it and sort of bounce and rock and go back and forth - the end legs curve like the bottom of a rocking chair - people had them on their verandahs and we tried the one at the Edmonston-Alston House ....anyone? ???

It wasn’t until a day later we realized we didn’t get any of those famous deviled eggs that we had read they serve first at FIGS.....so they either stopped doing that or forgot ours ! Once we remembered this, all we craved for the day was deviled eggs.....

I never knew there were so many recipes for Pimmena Cheese - every cookbook I looked in down there has so many variations and great ideas (covering steak with it, stuffing things with hit..mmmmmm...some like Magnolia’s actually put olives in it, some uses cream cheese, some not.....many ways to conquer!

We didn’t get to see as many historical homes as we would have liked - especially the Calhoun and didn’t get in ANY churches !! But part of that was intentional since early on we had decided to return in spring with our husbands, so we saved the architectural things we knew they would enjoy more than shopping for when we return with them - as well as Magnolia Plantation and a redo of the others.

This was my second visit to Charleston - we are planning the return in the spring to see blooming flowers and talking about one of those December weekends with the candlelight tours and holiday decor!

There is so much to see, but I don’t think I could do it all in 7 days straight and definitely couldn’t take all the fine dining that goes with a visit to Charleston - better to keep it to a 3 or 4 day minimum since I can’t resist the restaurants ! So many more on the list....

I love this city - it is walkable, friendly, chock full of history, architecture, art, fine food, magnificent views, shopping - I can not think of one thing the city does not offer, and so many things it does that I can imagine a dozen more visits to this wonderful city.....

I looked at my list from my last trip report and there is still a loooong list of things left to do and see -

I’m already counting down to trip #3........

Web sites I found useful:

www.charlestoncvb.com

http://www.charlestoncity.info/home/

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:53 PM

GREAT trip report! What detail!
Thanks for all the detail. I'm going to try the Gullah Tour the next time I'm there. What a fabulous resource this report will be on this board!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Wow!!! Thanks.

I've read thru it once quickly.

Now I'll have to reread and then copy it to my Charleston folder.

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Big WOW of a report--and all you did. Congratuations, and thanks. Make some "pimento cheese" using roasted red peppers and Black Diamond cheese for a bit of heaven. The Charleston Cookbook is a real standard--the second edition is also good.
Our standard T'giving/holiday scalloped oysters are from that book.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Your rreport is a delight. Thank you so much for "taking" us along!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Great report, really enjoyed it.

I had the same reaction to the prices at the Peninsula Grill as your NY friend, fabulous meal for far less than you pay in NY. (and that was a few years ago), glad to hear things have not changed that much.

Thanks for taking the time to give us such detailed info.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Excellent report, one of the best ever. Bookmarking for next spring.
Thanks, escargot!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - it's just so fabulous being there I'm still looking thru some of my pamphlets and memorabilia - I think I'm procrastinating filing it all away -

and Gretchen I'll try lots of new angles on 'pimento cheese' anytime - I do looove that cheese -

had any of you heard about that bench ? it's long and I know I even had some info on where to buy one and now I can't seem to find out anything about it no matter which way I google for info ....

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Fabulous report! Thanks for taking the time to post. I just love the details on the food--my mouth is already watering in anticipation of our December trip
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Escargot--thank you so much for your report. I am spending Christmas week in Charleston. So was thrilled to have your comments.

I had booked Christmas dinner at Magnolia's so was thrilled to hear you liked it.

I had one more dinner to book--from your report it will difinitely be the Peninsula.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 06:31 AM
cd

Wow, escargot what a trip report! Thanks so much. We will be in Charleston only one day the week of Christmas so I am going to try and book the Gullah Tour. I will re-read your report again.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:14 AM
GoTravel

Lawsy chile'!

You hit the ball out of the ballpark on this one!

Fantastic trip report!

Are you thinking of a Joggling Board?

Charleston Cooks! is a great place and the classes are always full.

Next time you come to town I'll hop down and meet you for cocktails and bring you some of my famous pimento cheese!

Love Charleston Receipts (southern speak for recipes) because some of the recipes are so historical.

Thanks for posting!

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

GoT you make me laugh with your 'lawsy chile' - but you usually make me laugh anyway - and I could've guessed you'd have the answer YES it is a

JOGGLING BOARD !!! and now I could google and find it

www.jogglingboard.com

it was lots of fun -

I should have thought to have you meet us for a drink this go round - you are definitely on for the next trip and if you bring your award winning southern pimenna, I will bring my northern version and we'll have a taste testing -

glad you liked the report, seeing as you set the gold standard yourself

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! You really hit some of my personal favorites. I love, love, love the Peninsula Grill and their Berkshire pork chop is my favorite entree! I also love Handpicked and Drayton Hall is my absolute favorite plantation. I have been wanting to try FIG for some time now and your report moves it to the head of the list. I was just down there for a week in June, but now I feel a strong need to go back...hmmm...I am out of school in December....Thanks again for posting!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

BetsyinKY: our waiter gave us a ton of info on the Berkshire pork b/c I commented on how juicy and flavorful it was - I rarely order pork out - but ordered this dish so I could get those grits (which were sooo good) anyway, I learned it is the 'gold' standard, farm fresh, naturally produced, some english breed, and how what they feed it, how it is raised, how picky the Bershire society of growers are (and how they all recently dined at Peninsula Grill to educate the waitstaff how this isn't pork "that other white meat" which everyone eats now and is all dry and bland and mass bred and fed the wrong things - THIS is the juicy, flavorful, tender pork, the way it should be -

and it was.....

and here I go again, see, get me talking about Charleston or food and the trip report would be pages longer !!

And I want to go back to Drayton Hall b/c the guide told us each guide does their own research and while they all focus on some of the main things, they all have their own areas they tend to specialize in or focus more of their research on, so you always get something a little different - which is good for when I have to do a repeat with my husband in the spring !
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 04:28 PM

Wow...thanks for the info on the Berkshire pork...I just knew it was delicious! Definitely go back to Drayton Hall...I've been three times and had a different guide each time and each tour was fascinating. I don't know who you had this time but if Bob Barker (yes, that's his real name!) is there, his tour is especially neat because he was friends with the last Drayton to actually "live" on the plantation before it was turned over to the National Trust.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Fantastic report, Escargot!!!

It's been years since I was in Charleston, and hope to do the Gullah tour with my daughter in November. Thank you for such comprehensive details!

I love that book, "Being Dead is No Excuse." Our church Flower Guild luncheon a few weeks ago featured an entire menu from the book. Everything was good, even the congealed salad
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM
iceeu2

Superb report, escargot! Thanks for sharing this wonderful place with us.

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

kswl : Well last night I started their other book,
"Somebody is going to die if Lilly Beth doesn't catch that bouquet": The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding. If you haven't read that one, you might enjoy it -

These gals are just too funny -

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -