Search

Quick Help - Boston Hotel Next Week

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Help - Boston Hotel Next Week

Hi,

I book travel for my company and I was just informed I need to book a hotel for someone next week in Boston.
He will be at the Seaport Trade center for a convention. He is driving and doesn't mind staying outside of the downtown area and driving in but I am sure he would like to be fairly close. I am finding either sky high prices or places that seem like they might be sketchy. Is Revere Beach awful? Or there is a Sheraton in Newton that seemed like it might be okay...any suggestions?
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM

You might try the Harborside Inn, on State St. I stayed there 2 weeks ago and was very pleased. It is across the street from Fanuiel Hall so lots of restaurants and the price was really good.

I just rescheduled a trip for next week and they were quoting me a price of $179 which I thought for Boston was good. It is a cute place, the rooms were good size and the bed was very comfortable.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I tried and it's booked up...bummer.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:11 PM
TahitiTams

Gosh, the Langham Hotel is $255..what a hotel!
I just stayed at the Westin Waterfront Boston for $229 and it was next to the convention center but don't think it was the Seaport center which is across the way..Free parking on the street vs. $39 bucks..
Check Expedia..lots of great stuff next week..

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

They are both booked and look like over $300 a nite anyway! I am assuming traffic into Boston from the surrounding areas is awful, like any big city? There is a Comfort Inn Logan that is one mile from Revere Beach. Is the drive from there reasonable?
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Here is a thread with some info on more reasonable Boston hotels - scroll throught the better bidding info and you will see some names/ links/etc.

there is also another one I was trying to find for you, if I find it, i'll put that link here too

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35015737
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Oh, and I would rather see you go in the other direction - look at hotels in Quincy and Braintree -
Quincy Marriott, Sheraton Tara Braintree, or try the Best Western Adams Inn
www.bwadamsinn.com/
The Adams has scheduled shuttles to South Station adn a few other Boston spots, that might work so he doesn't have to bring the car into the city each day -

in the 'search this forum' bar a the top, type in
"cheap hotels, boston" and you can see some other threads on the topic -

or try some B & B's? Newbury Guest House if they have any openings
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 12:32 AM

I'd suggest trying some of the discount travelsites, like www.hotels.com, expedia, hotwire, travelzoo.

Just checked and the Shawmut Inn at the Fleet Center has rooms for under $150.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:55 AM

Try the hilton in Dedham. It is often available on Priceline at very good rates.

The commuter train is within walking distance and will take him toSouth Station via Back Bay. He can get the Silver Line bus from South Station to his conference.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Cassandra

Try the Westin Boston Waterfront -- it's just the other end of the tunnel to Logan in the South Boston area. It's in a much less sketchy area than Revere. You really don't want to go north of the airport unless budget is the only consideration.

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Cassandra

Woops, just saw that you already checked the Westin and it was booked.

Nonetheless, you don't have to go as far out as Newton or Waltham to find a place. South makes more geographic sense, but the places on Morrissey Blvd. may not be to his taste. Cambridge?

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Cassandra

One last thought. I assume your company wouldn't be happy if you used hotwire.com or priceline, but I've had very good luck "bidding" on a four-star "airport area" hotel (never less than four-stars or you end up in Revere or Saugus). The only 2 4-stars are the really nice Hilton and Hyatt, right there at the airport. Convenient to the Seaport TC and most people say they don't hear the air traffic at night.

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Please don't put him in Revere Beach.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM
GoTravel

Try the Westin Waterfront again and use the promotional code PRH.

I just got a deal in an email from them and it starts next week.

What are his dates?

Also try the special rate plan WINTRH

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 07:46 AM

I work up the road from the Comfort Inn in Revere. The area is okay but not a tourist area by any means. There is pretty good Mexican restuarant in the hotel. To get from there to the Seaport you just need to head down RT1a to the Ted Williams Tunnel. Might take 15 minutes to drive it. The hotel is across the street/highway from a construction project. Also adjacent to the Necco candy factory - where they make Conversation Hearts for Valentine's Day.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try the Hyatt in Medford. It's about 6 mile drive, but he could park at the nearby train station and it's a quick trip. I think the hotel even shuttles to two different T stations that are nearby.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM

I bid Priceline for Logan last summer (use 4* and I believe it's either Hilton or Hyatt). We had a very nice room at the Hilton for around $70/night. It was one of the nicest Priceline rooms I've had. Hilton and Hyatt also don't mind if you call them direct after the reservation and request specific bedding, non-smoking, etc. I can highly recommend it.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM

The Revere Beach area is highly sketchy. Dangerous, in fact. Also an unpleasant drive at rush hour.

Newton is an affluent suburb west of the city, with one of the lowest crime rates in America. Also not such an easy drive at rush hour.

The worst driving commute of all will probably be from the South Shore suburbs.

It would really be a lot easier if you could arrange a place near the waterfront. Or anywhere near downtown, really.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone..I went with the Hyatt in Medford...thanks Clark. I found out he will be driving off hours so he was ok with being out of the city by quite a bit.

Thanks for steering me clear of Revere Beach area...he sounded relieved when I told him I almost booked there until I saw the comments here!